How far can you tow? Tuggin' consumption!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim203

Well, as the title suggests a little survey on fuel consumption whilst something is following you around. A few weeks ago I towed our test rig ( with the very aero dynamics of Satan) up to Norfolk with my faithful 2.1 non HDi 406. As it's a 320 mile one way I didn't stick strictly to the 60 limit but rather added a bit on . I've found in the past with T4's etc that the effort required to push your way through the air over 65 mph goes up almost exponentially after that. So, cutting to the chase, my old Pug's consumption went down to 26mpg from it's 46/7 mpg at motorway 70/80 speeds. Yesterday I thought I'd take my 203 having the comforts of auto and cruise ( the latter I didn't use too much to stop it hoovering the juice it up). Result 22/23 mpg down from 42. So an interesting and consistent 20mpg increase on both vehicles, one non common rail but both with the same displacement and with turbo.
So what does everyone else get with comparable caravans, trailers etc.? image-3487623482.jpg image-1767895682.jpg

Last edited:
Towing our brick sh1thouse regularly @ 60+ (ahem ;)) gives between 18mpg and 26mpg. I'm convinced the discrepancy is entirely due to whether there is a head or tailwind. Caravan weighs 1700kg. Oddly and unexpectantly using cruise makes the mpg drops slightly :dk:.

These figures are from the cluster, I'm not that motivated to do a fill-to-fill test but they are taken over a longish distance. eg...Oxford to Edinburgh.
At first I thought the 212 was doing worse than the 211 it replaced but I've now come to the conclusion that they're both about the same.

Interesting test Tim.

I tow an Ifor Williams tipping trailer loaded up with various things. The trailer is 760kgs empty and I do carry 2 tonne of sand regularly. I know my mpg goes right down but I've never done the Math.

Apart from joining in with your thread my post will have been totally useless and waste of time. :doh:

Going back to your trailer I can't believe you didn't fire up that big fan on the back to 15,000 rpm. Surely you'd have gotten 70-80mpg. :D

Ant.

Our caravan is 1500 kg and towing that the mpg can go as low as this:

Typically (taking it a bit easier) it's in the 17-19 mpg range.

Solo we only just break 30 mpg on a long run though:

I've found in the past with T4's etc that the effort required to push your way through the air over 65 mph goes up almost exponentially after that.

Yes aerodynamic drag is based on the speed squared, so it increases dramatically as you go faster.

^ Wow. My Vito does 37-39mpg at 60mph. Just shows the difference a 'load' can make.

I've seen between 18 and 23 out of the rangerover, towing my tug.... I tend to be fairly consistent so I'm similarly convinced that it's a head wind that makes the difference. Unlike most I rarely see more than 27 mpg without - and never more than 30.

Hmmm, I've been thinking about caravans recently, but I dread to think what mpg in a 211 E500 estate?

^ Wow. My Vito does 37-39mpg at 60mph. Just shows the difference a 'load' can make.

Without the caravan I tend to cruise at 120 kph indicated (a bit under 75 mph) ... that's where the 30 mpg comes from. I'm sure it would be better at 60; having said that the most I've ever seen on the cluster was about 34 mpg. Overall average is around 26 mpg.

Hmmm, I've been thinking about caravans recently, but I dread to think what mpg in a 211 E500 estate?

Spare a thought for Bobby Dazzler in his ML63 towing that static caravan :eek:

Mind you, they'll be no 5 mile tailbacks behind that man eh???

Ant. :D

I managed 22.6 mpg last year, towing our caravan to Devon. Weight around 1500kg.
Set off at 3am though, and had cruise on nearly all the way.
Based on how I normally drive, that is better mpg than I usually get when not towing, as speed restricted to 60mph....
I have also given up racing others from the lights with the van on the back, after the content's of one of the front draws distributed itself all around the insides once. Swmbo never lets me forget that.

Neil

This is my usual towing combination

AMG kit, but is a diesel

On a sensible trip will return 25-26mpg

Easily the most comfortable and stable tow vehicle I have ever used.

:thumb:

My L200 is an auto. Normal careful driving achieves about 27mpg. Like Ant, I have a twin axle trailer which weighs 600 - 700kg which I often add 1500 to 2000kg, totaling 2200 to 2700kg, the consumption goes down to approx 22mpg.
I've been towing every day this week so when I re-fuel on Monday I will work it out accurately

Thanks for the responses guys, I believe the cruise is definately detrimental as 1, you can't 'let it go' down hill and also one would be more sympathetic up hill allowing a few mph loss. Our trailer was tops 700kgs but clearly thwarted by the lack of aerodynamics.I was surprised how it sapped all my cars power though!

Happytalk73 said:
Interesting test Tim. I tow an Ifor Williams tipping trailer loaded up with various things. The trailer is 760kgs empty and I do carry 2 tonne of sand regularly. I know my mpg goes right down but I've never done the Math. Apart from joining in with your thread my post will have been totally useless and waste of time. :doh: Going back to your trailer I can't believe you didn't fire up that big fan on the back to 15,000 rpm. Surely you'd have gotten 70-80mpg. :D Ant.

Thanks Ant, your a top bloke. Unfortunately our rig sucks rather than blows! The most annoying thing was people hanging on my 'shoulder' to have a look whilst I was trying to pull out and overtake HGV's ! It took me a while to catch on, I couldn't understand why everyone was travelling so slowly!

Thanks Ant, your a top bloke. Unfortunately our rig sucks rather than blows! The most annoying thing was people hanging on my 'shoulder' to have a look whilst I was trying to pull out and overtake HGV's ! It took me a while to catch on, I couldn't understand why everyone was travelling so slowly!

Yep, can't say I blame them. Motorway driving is so boring, therefor anything remotely different creates interest.

A few years ago my daughter and I took a king sized bed to our local tip. Just for fun we made a mock up scare crow thingy and tied it to the mattress with the ratchet straps. Got the attention we craved and people doing 'double takes' kept us entertained throughout our journey. :bannana:

The miserable man at the tip didn't even comment. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiousity what exactly is your rig Tim?

Ant.

Csl bloody predicted text ha.

It is based on a CS, but I have added the carbon roof and airbox. I never liked the SMG, so this car is a manual. I had a nice picture of it at Spa Francorchamps, but can't find it. You'll have to make do with Rockingham. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom