How far do/would you travel to view a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Furthest I've travelled was to Milton Keynes for my C32, round trip of 160 miles, so not that far compared to others.

Best mate bought a Vectra just before Christmas as a bit of a panic buy, 300 mile round trip to view. Then again to collect. Twice more because of problems. That's 1200 miles for a 7 year old Vectra 1.8 saloon. :eek:

Drove from Doncaster in Yorkshire to st Austell in Cornwall to buy one of my Vauxhall Senators and it was mint and worth the drive, distance no object if the car is right, I'm a firm believer in the old addage " Good cars come from good areas"

I sold our Omega to a chap from St Austell, who travelled by train to Staffordshire to buy it unseen. He said there just aren't enough cars in Cornwall to get low mileage, good condition cars, relatively new cars.

The nice thing about buying car a long way from home is the drive back with your new purchase!!!
The longer the better..
It gives you the opportunity to understand how the car drives and also time discover its personality.

The nice thing about buying car a long way from home is the drive back with your new purchase!!!
The longer the better..
It gives you the opportunity to understand how the car drives and also time discover its personality.

Unless it's a Lotus....

the guy who got mine had three kids under 5 so i think he did enjoy the trip back to london at a steady 70mph

Doncaster to Southampton, by train to buy the Renault Espace. Did the deal over the phone, but the car was only 2 months old and I could have got the train back if anything had been wrong.

Not really my car; but I do remember flying to Germany (2-stops... from Western Africa, so even further... ) when my father ordered his Champagne coloured S-class (horrible colour, amazing car)... First flight was about 6 hours, then a 7 hour wait and another hour or two by plane...

You do the math:p
M.

I went down to Liverpool to pick up the CLK just over 400 miles round trip. North Wales to pick up the Volvo, but I enjoy a wee drive in the car.

Jim.

My current car was after a 130 mile round trip for a viewing. I fell for it when I saw it sitting on the driveway.

Sure it had some faults but managed to knock £500 off by geeking him out with my knowledge of the faults :)

Bought a W124 320TE from fleabay sight unseen. But it was soooo cheap I couldn't resist. Me and SWMBO flew down to Cardiff from Edinburgh. Had a couple of days holiday and drove back. Car lasted a year and a half. Broke it and nearly cleared my initial money back.

I travelled from Berwick to London to get my Rangie, it was £4000 less than any other I could find and he gave me a good price on my old one. a round trip of about 700 miles in the day!

The SL came from M-B Eastbourne, which is about 2 hours each way.

The puppy we got in January came from Scunthorpe ... a round trip of about 750 miles, three times!

Was ready to book a flight from Sydney to Perth to buy an SVX when I was gazummped on the sale (we had agreed price, pick up date etc etc)

:-(

Would have been a great drive back to Sydney

The SL came from M-B Eastbourne, which is about 2 hours each way.

The puppy we got in January came from Scunthorpe ... a round trip of about 750 miles, three times!

Nice cars from nice areas, mmm Eastbourne or Scunthorpe, now let me think for a moment :rolleyes: at least Scunthorpe was good for the puppy

i'd travel the country for the right car - and have on 2 occasions. its £100 fuel for me but worth it if i get the right car

EDIT - forgot about the SL..... make that 3 occasions!

I have done a few hundred miles or so over the years buying cars. One time to look, next time to collect.

Colchester-Lincoln x2, Colchester-Maidstone x2, Colchester-Milton Keynes x2 + one company car from Cologne, Germany back to Colchester.

Great fun. :)

ive done a few long trips

- fiesta turbo - london to plymouth
- Mk4 golf (sisters) - london to Preston
- Pug 306 - London to Bradford
- c36 - london to derby

if the car seems worth it, i normally ask loadsa questions over the phone and make it clear that im coming from some distance. so far ive been lucky!

I am prepared to go further for higher value cars, but the furthest I've ever been was Coventry (from Surrey) for a 911.

Traveled to Stuttgart to pick the new S-Class up. Sight unseen ;) :) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom