How far should remote boot release open boot? W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320-

Car
CLK320 2003
Quick question as I can't find answer anywhere else
Got a 03 clk, when I press remove
Boot release on key for 2 second the boot unlocks. I was wondering if the boot should open the whole way? Or just unlatch? As when closing the boot I have a weird creaking noise coming so Maybe the struts need t be changed?
Thanks

(Different car) but on mine it pops all the way up, I imagine on struts so I'd say yours need looking at or possibly replaced?

I think another member posted recently about theirs but I can't find the thread

CLK boot lid has 2 tubular hinges with opening assistance provided by a pair of coil springs. Its pretty sensitive to the weight of the lid, so can vary with presence/absence of warning triangle. Mine slowed down when I added a number plate surround.

The strength of the spring assistance can be adjusted by moving the ends into different mounting holes - be careful, they are quite strong springs.

Creaking noises imply your hinges and springs may benefit from some lubrication, best to remove side trims and have a look.

The boot on my 2009 CLK does not pop all the way up when opened with the remote.
Mine opens maybe half-way. - You can see it has opened; there's a definite gap, but I typically need to lift it further to fit anything in.

Mine opens halfway, i removed the warning triangle and it moved to full tilt. I replaced the warning triangle. 1/2 way is good enough. Really cant be bothered tearing the rear interior boot carpets out and trying to adjust springs under tension. Ill live with it.

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for your responses
Please could someone advise me how to tighten the spring? I'm not sure how to remove the carpet? Will I need tools to pull the spring or can it be done by hand?
Thanks

Mine used to open all the way (W204 Coupe) until I added a carbon fibre boot lip spoiler, now just opens slightly. Obviously the added weight affects things.

Anybody know if the W204's tension can be adjusted too? Wouldn't mind it opening all the way again. Trivial in the whole scheme of things I know ....!

My 2003 opens all the way pretty aggressively. The springs do get weak over time though so this may fade with repeated use

Mines got the stock AMG spoiler so I don't know if that affected it?
Does anyone know to remove the carpet if you must remove it all? Are they any screws or is it held by clips? Is there any guide on removing?
Thanks very much for your help

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever thrown a football in the air, up and down towards your boot and tried to volley it with the boot release, like in that advert? Lol

P.s only recommended with soft footballs, not (cracked) leather ones!

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever thrown a football in the air, up and down towards your boot and tried to volley it with the boot release, like in that advert? Lol

Hahaha Ash no haven't done that yet!

Why,oh why did you say that??
Anyone know of a good supplier of rear windows?

I have an 02 w208 and my boot lifts just an inch or so, but looking at the lifting mechanism (small air powered ram) its been designed to open that way and no further.

IIRC
C209 should open fully
A209 should just release

My S320 opens all the way and as I have the option extra of the musical boot,plays "O sole meo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom