How funny will the car drive with one new front tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Riva811

Car
CL500 Blueefficiency
So i had a pancture and I am on the spare right now. I have Goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 1 on the front which are 2/3s worn out. I have to replace one and I am thinking of going for Eagle F1 SuperSport. I just wonder how "weird" the car will feel if anyone has such experience

Your life & that of your family rely on the footprint of your cars tyres why take any risk ? why not consider putting the partly worn one as a spare & buying two new quality tyres for the same axle
My spare is tiny width and is of a higher profile than the actual ones so I wont have room to store it. I am tempted to get 2 front ones anyway and sell the second one if possible.

You should always have the same make/brand on each axle, otherwise it can be dangerous.

As long as the old one isnt that far gone, you should be fine with a new one.
Yeah even the punctured one had a lot of lifespan in it in regards to tread so thats why I am tempted to mix them up.

Friction forces can’t read what make your tyre is.
The fact that one has 4mm more tread than the other I’d doubt that even LH could tell.
Just IMHO of course 🤔

So i had a pancture and I am on the spare right now. I have Goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 1 on the front which are 2/3s worn out. I have to replace one and I am thinking of going for Eagle F1 SuperSport. I just wonder how "weird" the car will feel if anyone has such experience
Can the punctured tyre not be repaired ?

I have had one tyre that needed has needed replacing due to a non repairable puncture. The other on the same axle had around 6mm so I opted for a part worn with roughly the same tread depth (same brand and model). I only buy part worn if they have no damage and no repairs.

I doubt you’ll notice the difference in 99.999% of normal driving, but the unpredictability in that 0.001% is the concern. Personally I would replace the pair even if I had to switch to a less expensive but still reputable alternative.

My spare is tiny width and is of a higher profile than the actual ones so I wont have room to store it. I am tempted to get 2 front ones anyway and sell the second one if possible.

I'm guessing you have a space saver spare, rather than just an odd size?
If the replacement tyre you have fitted has a different wear, you "may" find your tyre pressure monitoring system triggers a warning due to the different rotational speeds on that axle..

How much is a pair of new tyres - £250ish?

How does that compare to what you might spend on a few family meals out? Or a few tanks of fuel?

Tyres are the only part of the car that stops you flying into a hedge...or a pedestrian...

My advice is to either buy two matching new tyres, or - second-best, but still acceptable - buy one new tyre of the same make and model as the old tyre on the same axle.

If you buy one completely different tyre for the front, the car won't burst into flames :D - in fact, the roads are full of cars with 'mismatched' tyres, and they don't all end-up in a ditch on their first maiden voyage back from the tyre shop. But it's sub-optimal, and you won't get this sort of advice on a forum frequents by motoring enthusiasts - we will always recommend getting things done properly :thumb:

Either buy two new tyres for the front (ideal) or buy a used AS1/2 or 3 of similar tred depth to your good tyre. Loads on ebay and usually come in a couple of days. I did this when I put a nail through the outside of a 6mm AS3.

You should always have the same make/brand on each axle, otherwise it can be dangerous.

As long as the old one isnt that far gone, you should be fine with a new one.
Please elaborate on the dangerous aspect

Theres always one isnt there...

Its pretty common sense surely, its like walking down the road with 2x different shoes on. + its even illegal in some countries.

It can effect the grip levels, control ability and can various systems, eg ABS (not sure if theres any proof of this last point).

A simple Google will tell you.

Last edited:
Yes, do that: you can then be sure you have a match and remove the small risk that comes from mismatched tyres and will get some £ back from the used tyre. Extra cost probably only £50 all-in, and worth it for peace of mind in my view. I've always replaced tyres in pairs for safety but also for ease: avoids having various tyres at various stages of life to manage and replace.

Mismatched tyres be it construction, tread pattern, tread depth, size etc will have different performance characteristics which in an accident could cause greater injury or damage to you or other parties. Imagine emergency braking where one tyre wants to stop sooner than the other on the opposite side, this would cause the car to brake in an uneven line maybe resulting in serious consequences with the car veering to the left or right out of control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom