How funny will the car drive with one new front tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Theres always one isnt there...

Its pretty common sense surely, its like walking down the road with 2x different shoes on. + its even illegal in some countries.

It can effect the grip levels, control ability and can various systems, eg ABS (not sure if theres any proof of this last point).

A simple Google will tell you.
I did that Google thing, came up with so many hits on why mismatched tyres are dangerous I went fuzzy eyed. I don't think everyone has Google access ;)

Reactions: 219
My spare is tiny width and is of a higher profile than the actual ones so I wont have room to store it. I am tempted to get 2 front ones anyway and sell the second one if possible.
I know you have a space saver spare , but where did you put your full size wheel with the puncture ? If it fits in the well , so would a full size spare . You could look for a secondhand full size spare wheel from a breaker , or a steel spare new from the dealer is about £50 ( that was what I bought for my S203 since I hate space savers , especially when there is space in the boot well for the full size wheel ) .

I suspect that you know that the correct answer is 2 new matching decent tyres. If it is a CL500, why would you risk putting less than optimal tyres on it. If it was a little shopping runabout that pootled to the shops every now and then it still wouldn't be ideal but it wouldnt be so much of an issue bit on a heavy reasonably high performance car? Unless I've misread it, they're 2/3 worn already.

At the end of the day your tyres are the only point of contact for steering and braking etc..

BTW, most (though not all) new tyres will have 8mm thread, and they should be replaced at 3mm, so the 'life' span of the tyre is 5mm. When you say "2/3 used", what's the current thread depth?

I know you have a space saver spare , but where did you put your full size wheel with the puncture ? If it fits in the well , so would a full size spare . You could look for a secondhand full size spare wheel from a breaker , or a steel spare new from the dealer is about £50 ( that was what I bought for my S203 since I hate space savers , especially when there is space in the boot well for the full size wheel ) .
spare fits in the trunk under the mat, wheel is now occupying the entire trunk above the mat

Reactions: 219
BTW, most (though not all) new tyres will have 8mm thread, and they should be replaced at 3mm, so the 'life' span of the tyre is 5mm. When you say "2/3 used", what's the current thread depth?
Other tyre is 5mm in great condition. You can legally drive up to 1.5mm 😁

I guess the factor here is that the car is rwd, the other tire isn't miles away in regards to brands and model then the new one - both good year eagle f1 asymmetric or supersport. Only downside is one will be 8mm and the other 5mm. I might buy two supersport and sell the other one if I can find a shop that will get it.

As painful as it is when you have decent amount of rubber on one tyre - change them.
I had to buy another alloy (used) which came with a Conti (5 mm of tread) whereas the MP4S had approx 3.5mm of tread. The handling was as if the RARB had come lose. It was horrendous - even dangerous.
Bought 2 x new MP4S - chalk and cheese difference.

As everyone has suggested, just change them - Google 'different tyres, different axles' - intersting reading.

Don't compromise yourself (or your family)

And - you won't have to bother about them for another 12 months+

Other tyre is 5mm in great condition. You can legally drive up to 1.5mm 😁
The legal limit is 1.6mm but.... that's way to low... tyre manufacturer's say the min is 3mm.

buy 2 rotalla race . winters on the way . :)

I wouldnt drive on a tyre with less than 3mm of tread, I have just replaced the rears on my Audi which were down to 2.8mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom