How good is the clk 230k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

will lam

Car
jeep grand cherokee
I just test drive a clk 230k vert and to be honest was very disappointed. Are they meant to perform well? This one I had tested felt there was no go and also a delay when you put the throttle down.

Also when to test drive a 320 and the car was a lot more responsive and smooth

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
There's something wrong with that 230 then as when you nail it and the supercharger comes in it takes off like a scalded cat if the car was an auto its the gearbox that's the issue and bogs the car down much more than a manual the 230 with an auto box is not a happy marriage the vert is also a lot heavier than the coupe

320 should feel smooth and brisk and is much more suited to an auto box both cars should hit 60 mph in under 10 seconds

'Delay before acceleration' is a known issue across the range and it is a characterstic of the 5-gear autobox TCU of the period. Not great, but not a car fault as such.

Last edited:
Yeah it sometime went and then other times it didn't do anything when the throttle went fully down.

Get the V6 version, cracking cars.

In the 320, there is a acceleration lag but its mostly observed when doing a kickdown. Say the car is cruising at constant speed or car is accelerating with light/medium load and suddenly push the pedal all the way, there will be a lag of roughly 1 second, after which, the car will then fly.

In general driving, the lag still remains but it should be a fairly small period,maybe 0.5 secs to be specific.

You can take the lag out u tweaking the throttle pot to make it more responsive several ways of doing this. My BIL 1999 320 had zero lag when he'd finished tweaking

You can take the lag out u tweaking the throttle pot to make it more responsive several ways of doing this. My BIL 1999 320 had zero lag when he'd finished tweaking

how do you "tweak" it? I guess this is all that the Sprint Master device does at a ridiculous price.

Sounds like the 230 had a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor. Common problem and now seem expensive compared to the price of the cars. Around £200 I think from Euros.

People fit cheap chinese ones and they work for 5 mins.

markmifsud said:
how do you "tweak" it? I guess this is all that the Sprint Master device does at a ridiculous price.

Rather than me guess I'll ask and post back but it was cheap and cheerful and did the job in the same way sprint master would

jaymanek said:
Sounds like the 230 had a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor. Common problem and now seem expensive compared to the price of the cars. Around £200 I think from Euros. People fit cheap chinese ones and they work for 5 mins.

Bosch ones in Germany €130 about £99 good old rip off Britain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom