How has the law of sod affected you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawnie

Car
Vito 110cdi (2002)
Went to use the printer today to print some business flyers.
And first page came out fuzzy so nozzle checked. Cleaned and so on. Half hr later its now empty of ink....
Went to tescos superstore half hr before.

Booked my holiday.
Discovered my largest client is changing their accounting system the month that I am away.

So spending money, and risk of being paid being disrupted. Not a great combination.

Law of Sod ?

... wait until you have children .....

I loved these

Assaf's Laws of Replacement Parts

A failed 25¢ part cannot be replaced by a new 25¢ part, but by a sub-assembly whose cost is equal to or greater than that of the device in need of the part
The cost and availability of a replacement part are in inverse proportion to the cost of the whole system: a $1500 device will fail because of the burnout of a 25¢ capacitor. But the 25¢ capacitor is either
a) no longer manufactured
b) manufactured only by a company in Outer Mongolia with an 18-month backlog
c)available only as part of a $1450 sub-assembly

taken from this Murphy's law site technology section full of little gems of wisdom.:thumb:
Murphy Laws Site - Technology Laws

I loved these

Assaf's Laws of Replacement Parts

A failed 25¢ part cannot be replaced by a new 25¢ part, but by a sub-assembly whose cost is equal to or greater than that of the device in need of the part
The cost and availability of a replacement part are in inverse proportion to the cost of the whole system: a $1500 device will fail because of the burnout of a 25¢ capacitor. But the 25¢ capacitor is either
a) no longer manufactured
b) manufactured only by a company in Outer Mongolia with an 18-month backlog
c)available only as part of a $1450 sub-assembly

taken from this Murphy's law site technology section full of little gems of wisdom.:thumb:
Murphy Laws Site - Technology Laws

Used to be true, but t'internet changed that. I've just fixed a PC that was 'unrepairable' as the failed power supply is unavailable. 2 x 60p capacitors later, and off it goes, thanks to youtube:)

I think we are getting too ingrained in our throw away society...

I thought these were particularly apposite vis a vis Mercedes

Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.
A failure will not appear till a unit has passed final inspection.
New systems generate new problems.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.
A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
If it's not in the computer, it doesn't exist.
If there is a possibility of several things going wrong the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
The degree of technical competence is inversely proportional to the level of management.
It is never wise to let a piece of electronic equipment know that you are in a hurry.
The bolt that is in the most awkward place will always be the one with the tightest thread.
All things mechanical/electrical will catastrophically fail after the guarantee has expired, unless an extended guarantee has been purchased.
The repairman will have never seen a model quite like yours before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom