'How I could have stolen my old car using my smartphone'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Charles Henderson loved his "awesome" convertible, particularly the fact that he could start, lock and unlock it remotely via his mobile phone.

It was one of the first connected cars that synchronise wirelessly with smartphones for entertainment and work purposes.

But after he sold the vehicle, he was astonished to discover that he could still control it using the associated smartphone app.

"I could have found out where the car was, unlocked it remotely, started it and driven off with it," he tells the BBC.

LINK.

'How I could have stolen my old car using my smartphone' - BBC News

I've still got a key to a car I sold as I couldn't find it at the time of sale. How's that any different to someone still having a spare key?

A spare key can be sold on easily. An app can't, as you'd have to sell the phone along with it. Adding the car to the app fresh on a new device would need the authorisation procedure to be followed, whatever that is.

You do need to clean a cars settings as well as the car itself when you take possession. Linked phones and on BMWs the quick reference keys often need wiped of previous settings.

Dealers should do this, but often forged. I have asked the dealer before (post our 1 series being stolen) to check nothing else was programmed to it. A full management system and key barrel/lock kit was subsequently ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom