How imperceptible is your gearchange?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model) - Bought 2005, Sold 2022.
I thought mine was pretty good, although since the ATF was changed by the dealer a couple of years ago it’s never seemed quite as good as I remembered, but I’ve put that down to thinking about it more than I used to.

Was in the US on holiday last month and we had a couple of vehicles, one of which changed gear so imperceptibly that for a while I assumed it must be a CVT. It was a Jeep Compass with 2.4L petrol engine and (as it turns out) a 6 speed auto. We also had a Chrysler Town & Country (people carrier) and that was good, but a little more obvious in the changes.

What are the latest MB boxes like – could they be described as “imperceptible”?

I rate the MB 7G+ as good. It's noticeably better than the competent and classic 5 speed MB 722.6 IMO. And most drivers would find it hard to know for sure whether they were driving with the MB 7G+ or the even better ZF 8 speed unit if there was a genuine blind test that could be done.

I thought mine was pretty good, although since the ATF was changed by the dealer a couple of years ago it’s never seemed quite as good as I remembered, but I’ve put that down to thinking about it more than I used to.

Was in the US on holiday last month and we had a couple of vehicles, one of which changed gear so imperceptibly that for a while I assumed it must be a CVT. It was a Jeep Compass with 2.4L petrol engine and (as it turns out) a 6 speed auto. We also had a Chrysler Town & Country (people carrier) and that was good, but a little more obvious in the changes.

Once you've driven a 1960's Mercedes Fintail with 'Jerk-O-Matic' Automatic transmission , everything else will seem imperceptible afterwards :)

Not necessarily!
It used to be, in the USA at least, that different manufacturers desired different change-up characteristics, some wanting smooth, seamless, others preferring more of a thump (to increase the perception of performance). These differences were achieved with differing ATF formulations. Or so I was told!

When I first got mine, gear changes seemed imperceptible, it'd just be a seamless acceleration with no interruptions in torque delivery.

Now it seems slightly more noticeable, but I've put that down to having gotten used to it, so now my scope of noticing an interruption in torque is more precisely focused.

I bet if I erased the last month of my memory it'd seem as imperceptible as it first did...

As I've said before on here, the lower gear changes are very perceptible, slightly snatchy, in my 7G, especially when the gearbox is cold. The changes improve as things warm up, but are particularly noticeable in crawling traffic. The higher gear changes are seamless.

Although many people may feel that I'm oversensitive, I've driven cars with better changes.

One thing I would say is that I have always been aware of some other owners' dissatisfaction with the gearbox to the extent that a software update was offered, so to be fair, I wonder if my sensitivity has been heightened by that knowledge, i.e. is it all in the mind?

Once you've driven a 1960's Mercedes Fintail with 'Jerk-O-Matic' Automatic transmission , everything else will seem imperceptible afterwards :)

When my wife's car was last in for service I was given a Honda Accord (latest model) diesel auto - the previous version of which I might have bought instread of my C Class if auto had been available at the time - and that changed gear with a heck of a 'thunk' to the extent that even after a couple of miles I was trying to anticipate gear changes and ease off the gas.

It is a conventional torque converter auto, not an automated manual.

Mine (2014 212 220CDi) under normal driving is completely smooth with no jerk at all at any road speed or between any two gears.

Under very hard acceleration in S you can obviously hear/feel the revs drop on change and feel the (brief) pause in power delivery but it's seamless otherwise.

Assuming it's the same 'box as in Meeeb's 350 perhaps the extra horses and torque in that configuration make the difference :dk:

Very ,very occasionally from 1st to 2nd on my CLS it is a bit jerky , the rest of the gear changes are seamless.

We had a new seven speed auto Ford Explorer in America this year which was dreadful , it always tried to change into a higher gear (possibly to save fuel) when it shouldn't have and as soon as you even touched the accelerator it started going down the gearbox , it felt as though all it was doing was going up and down the box at will.

Kenny

What changes? :thumb:

:p

In my CLS 350CDI GE the 7G box was very noticeble at low speed and not always the same, it had good days and bad days. It ruined the whole driving experience for me, as I used to pre-empt the thud in changing gear from 2nd to 3rd.
I now have a E320CDI which is twice the age and mileage and the 7G box is much smoother and the same every day, still not imperceptible though but good enough.

I agree with lots of you, my 7g is jerky in the low gears especially when cold, I took it back to the dealers whilst still under guarantee and they were certain it was OK, it's no different since changing ATF either.
I have one mate with a late X5 and another with a new Jaguar XF both fitted with the ZF 8 speed box, they are both much smoother than mine.

I work at the factory where the 5 speed and 7G were made.
You cannot believe the number of shims they use (selection) to try and make them silky smooth.

My previous w203 C Class was excellent I thought and then I had the ATF changed and it was almost unnoticeable. SLK is good and is having ATF changed tomorrow, probably for the first time. Will let everyone know how it goes after that.

First couple of changes are noticeable on my C220 when cold, a slight hesitation as it crosses between gears but nothing clonky, then you are in a world of watching the rev counter to see if you can tell what the beggar is up to - at gentle pressure engine note isn't much of a clue. Actually, on firmer acceleration it seems better (I'm never thraping it though).

If anyone is concerned about their auto gear box changes they should try driving a W201 190 manual. Now that is an interesting experience - particularly finding reverse!

I work at the factory where the 5 speed and 7G were made.
You cannot believe the number of shims they use (selection) to try and make them silky smooth.

They must have got it spot on with my 5 speed its probably the smoothest box i have had the pleasure of using.

Tony.

My 7g+ box is really smooth 90% of the time but then every so often it will jolt quite badly, normally when changing down to first when coming to a stop. Had a software upgrade that helped but didn't completely clear it. Learned to live with it now but am concerned it could be doing harm that will only come to light when the cars out of warranty.

It's fine, in a sort of ho-hum, better than a 1970s 3 speed Borg Warner sort of way.

But I can still feel changes. Against an Audi CVT or DSG there's no contest. It's a lumpomatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom