How long are fault codes stored for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
In the same way that I'm normally better by the time my doctors appointment comes around, the car normally behaves itself when the dealer takes a look - even if it wasn't earlier the same day.

Last time it happened, tech said no fault code stored, and said even if it had been logged fault codes tend not to be as useful as the layman might think when diagnosing problems.

Got me thinking - how long are they stored for, and are fault codes overwritten after a given timescale? Any ideas?

Bobby Dazzler said:
In the same way that I'm normally better by the time my doctors appointment comes around, the car normally behaves itself when the dealer takes a look - even if it wasn't earlier the same day.

Last time it happened, tech said no fault code stored, and said even if it had been logged fault codes tend not to be as useful as the layman might think when diagnosing problems.

Got me thinking - how long are they stored for, and are fault codes overwritten after a given timescale? Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure they are stored until cleared by STAR or other device.

yes they are, if its a capital F on the diagnostics that shows as current and a small f means is past.
When you go into the diagnostics you will see a fair few small f's usually old errors which may not show any significance when the codes are read...

hope this helps.

Or until the battery is disconnected if they are like Smarts!

Kate

lil.smartie said:
Or until the battery is disconnected if they are like Smarts!

Kate

What, the fault alert or the stored code?
If it's the stored code that is surprising as it means all the fault history is lost if the battery goes flat.

Most fault codes are stored in an NVRAM so don't need power to hold them.

Yep all stored codes are cleared if the battery is disconnected for about 10 mins!

Great fun when there is a battery drain or something like that as no power = no fault codes!

We use a Bosch KTS and a WINSTAR but it's the same with a STAR too!

Smart car - how ironic sometimes!

lol

Kate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom