How long can you sit stationary in drive on an automatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to send a PM to the OP, but he's a new member (didn't realise!), so here's the pm for all to see - I have no shame & I owe it to him. Cheers

Hi,
the useful thread you started has gone doolally - and I'm one of the daft ones to blame - sorry!
Just letting you know that your original topic was in fact very useful for me - I'm one of the ignorant ones who thought it best to shift out of drive every time I stoppped. I no longer do this thanks to your thread.
Cheers & all the best.
chris

Didn't realise I was banned from receiving PM's lol. I have to say the original question was just me questioning everything as I normally do. I have a craving to know how or why stuff works, as a lad I would get into to trouble for taking apart toys to see how they were made lol (and inevitably not being able to put them back together right :doh:)

Anyway, car was purchased today so I'm off to read the manual so I can understand what all those buttons do :D.

I wonder how many posts we will be up to next time I check :D

Maybe manufacturers ought to offer a no clutch manual. That would really make drivers use "Stop/Start" technology at traffic lights.

Might make traffic flow better too as no-one would want to stop. ;)

I once drove from Church Stretton to near Crewe in a series II Landy with no clutch - couple of crunchy starts and then I just left it in 3rd and shot all the lights :crazy::D

Topped up the leaky reservoir when I got back and all was fine again..:)

What was this thread about again?

Ade

I once drove from Church Stretton to near Crewe in a series II Landy with no clutch - couple of crunchy starts and then I just left it in 3rd and shot all the lights :crazy::D

Topped up the leaky reservoir when I got back and all was fine again..:)

What was this thread about again?

Ade

george washington i think and his cherry tree chopping :dk:

About nine pages long ...............so far :doh:

:D

Just to go off topic a bit. I love the heated seats in my S Class but will my using of them wear out my seats more quickly due to the extra heat causing the leather pours to open up more thus leading to more ingrained dirt which could lead to more wear being apparent due to the dirt being able to enter the wider pours of the leather due to the heated seats which will open up the pours of the leather more because of the heated seats?

This is groundhog day.
I'm going to slit my throat and see what happens.

Hi,

First post here, just ordered my first MB, a W204 C180 CGI Executive SE so this thread was of interest for me, I've been driving an auto in a hire car I've had for the last few weeks and wondered about the original question asked.

I've found a source that hopefully gives this thread some closure!!

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/automatic_gearboxes.pdf

The specific info is on page 2 from paragraph 8 onwards!

Welcome to the forum, a very excellent first post.

The relevant bit from above:

"When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox. No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a
drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary."

:D

Just to go off topic a bit. I love the heated seats in my S Class but will my using of them wear out my seats more quickly due to the extra heat causing the leather pours to open up more thus leading to more ingrained dirt which could lead to more wear being apparent due to the dirt being able to enter the wider pours of the leather due to the heated seats which will open up the pours of the leather more because of the heated seats?

Why do you think that is off-topic! As Blackadder would say, this is the daftest topic by the daftest people in the whole wide world of daftness and not even you Baldrick could possibly be any dafter.

So your daft topic is in fact spot on-topic...

(By the way, if Blackadder was alive today, would be let Bladrick be his chauffeur? No, seriously...)

On the topic of off topic... I often see Tony Robinson around St John's Wood. Never saw Rowan Atkinson though - he's probably too busy reducing the roadworthy McLaren F1 population. Oh, and Paul McCartney is often there as well (SJW, not crashing F1s)... is this OT enough?

Not a chance: Tony Robinson's family make jam, which comes from fruit, and everyone knows the most popular fruit is an apple, ahem. Rowan Atkinson is named after a tree, which is where you'll find most apples....and....Paul McCartney once had a record label called apple.
Right back on topic I'm afraid. (I think).

Ooh, just checked the time: seven hours and I'll be slitting my throat again.

I have to admit to nudging into N when stopped for more than 5 seconds, more so because of the fuel. The engine is obviously using more fuel in D as it's wanting to move forward against the brakes. I'm hosing enough fuel into the V8 as it is thanks.

I do not like to sit on the brakes after a run either; I've done a lot of track work and a few races and the brakes are obviously hot. You definitely don't want to go sitting with your foot on the brake pedal (or handbrake) and should switch the engine off leaving the car in gear (manual) or park (auto). Might not apply when popping to the shops and won't apply to everyone.
I admit to using left-foot braking a lot, especially when "making progress" which builds up a little more heat than usual as it's easy to trail brake etc. Not that I do much of that these days :/
""!Brake lights - I am SO glad someone mentioned that. There is nothing worse when sitting behind some a-hole, in the darkness, it's raining, and they leave their brake lights on for minutes at a time. It. Boills. My. Pi$$.
""

Quite Right"

Yawn...this thread will be two months old tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom