How long do your tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Following on from Crockers thread, I wondered about tyres. Obviously heavily dependant on cars, but probably no more so than the brakes.

My record was a 1.8 Pug 406 that I bought nearly new. Rear tyre blew, rather than failing on wear, at 55,000 miles. Thought that was pretty amazing. A Michelin tyre if I recall correctly. A lot of motorway miles, and replaced the pair rather than risking any further.

Following on from Crockers thread, I wondered about tyres. Obviously heavily dependant on cars, but probably no more so than the brakes.

My record was a 1.8 Pug 406 that I bought nearly new. Rear tyre blew, rather than failing on wear, at 55,000 miles. Thought that was pretty amazing. A Michelin tyre if I recall correctly. A lot of motorway miles, and replaced the pair rather than risking any further.

Normally on the rears 30k plus.

Before my goodyear efficient grips were replaced in a pair because one of the sidewalls cracked they had 6mm on them and had done approx 20k miles. They were front tyres.

The rears lasted 30k miles with 3mm left.

I would hope the conti sport 3's on the front of the car do at least 30k miles and the Khumo KU39s no less than 20k miles hopefully 30k miles on the rear....

On my 335D I was looking at 30k miles off a set which I was quite disappointed with as on previous cars I tended to get much more and I normally found myself changing tyres not because they had worn out but because they had suffered damage etc.

Of course HOW you drive plays a big part in how long your tyres last. Not just how hard you accelerate but just as importantly how hard you tend to brake.

In my case, in the my rear pads lasted 75k on my BMW

I believe tyre and brake wear tend to go hand in hand.

But also there is the kind of roads you drive AND how often you check pressure etc.

Motorway driving should equal minimal wear unless you never check your tyre pressure in which case big speed could mean heavy wear.

Finally I would like to think that the other badge on the front of my car (the one that says RoSPA Advanced Drivers Gold Award) also helps in these things :)

Front tyres seem to last forever on my w124's, but the rears just cant cope. :D

On my 335D I was looking at 30k miles off a set which I was quite disappointed with as on previous cars I tended to get much more and I normally found myself changing tyres not because they had worn out but because they had suffered damage etc.

Of course HOW you drive plays a big part in how long your tyres last. Not just how hard you accelerate but just as importantly how hard you tend to brake.

In my case, in the my rear pads lasted 75k on my BMW

I believe tyre and brake wear tend to go hand in hand.

But also there is the kind of roads you drive AND how often you check pressure etc.

Motorway driving should equal minimal wear unless you never check your tyre pressure in which case big speed could mean heavy wear.

I'd say even on a 3345 30k is a long life, it has so much torque low down even the most delicate of right feet will test them. Plus they are heavy cars, especially at the front.

Checking pressure is a biggie. I now give mine the once over every AM before setting off to check for no obvious signs of pressure loss and top up with air once a week.

The really problem with not keeping them checked at over at least 30psi is that they crack in the sidewalls, often inner, leaving you highly exposed to either a blow out or MOT fail (I've discovered this the expensive way).

On a 1 series forum, I saw someone get 70k out of a set of fronts on a 120d, and they weren't done. He did predominately motorway miles.

I see you are sometimes based in Lincolnshire, the roads there tend to be a lot straighter than our ones. I notice another member from an area in the Fens also gets very good MPG from his car and it will be the lack of hills and terrain playing a big factor.

I see you are sometimes based in Lincolnshire, the roads there tend to be a lot straighter than our ones. I notice another member from an area in the Fens also gets very good MPG from his car and it will be the lack of hills and terrain playing a big factor.

I wish that were the case.

The problem out here is that there are few dual carriageways and no motorways. So when local, it is some A roads, mostly B roads and lots of C roads. Not great for economy even though you are right in it being VERY flat.

But most of mileage across the fens is getting to the A1 and of course there I am cruising with the rest of you.

I do however have very little town driving and I don't have a daily commute to deal with as I am home based when not attending meetings.

Previously I lived in Huddersfield (the exact opposite of the Fens) and I had the same wear on tyres and brakes so it's as much about how you drive as where.

BTW

Your comment on pressures is spot on.

One of the best investments I have made is a good quality tyre inflator that I can keep in the boot. It means I can check the pressures on my own drive when the tyres are cold and know that the pressure readings are accurate. Petrol station air lines can be a bit unreliable at best.

Managed 58,000 miles on a set of michelin on my w124 ,2.5 diesel 94:thumb:, Over a 4 year period:bannana::bannana:

I've never done more than 10,000 miles in one car before selling it, so I wouldn't know how long they've lasted....:eek:

From our experience tyre brand can also make a big difference;
On our E220 CDI Saloon's we've tried a couple of different premium brands - Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop and Goodyear! we now have most pre 2010 E's running on Michelins. (Don't get me started on different size rims front and back) :(

The tyres that consistently gave us the best performance were 225/55/ZR15 GoodYear NCT5. We would regularly get 48-52k rear and 55k fronts.
Sadly, Goodyear stopped making these last year so we've had to find an alternative. were now trying Michelin which are slightly more expensive but if they get anywhere near the same mileage I'll be happy.

Tyre pressure is critical - you can kill a tyre in 1000 miles or less if the pressures are wrong.

I usually get between 20-30k. The worst ive had were some Toyos i had on a LagunaII, I sold the car with them on it but after about 15k they didnt look like they had much life left in them.

Rears 8k max,fronts about 15k(pirelli pzeros all round)

Rears around 15k. Fronts around 25k. And I don't drive it hard.

SLK 350 - Rears 9 to 9.5 thousand, fronts 18 thousand. Mostly A and B roads.

With the 124's above were any of them pulling slightly to the left, or were these miles achieved with the car being neutral - ish in that department.

I thought that when I bought my car On 50k.mls. They could'nt be originals. But now on 54k. & reading this thread. I believe they are. 17" continentals 245x45 Still aprox.
4 - 6k left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom