How long does AirCon typically last ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjenkins

Car
S204 C250 Sport
I almost never turn my aircon/cc OFF, its on maybe 99% of the time.

I much prefer the air "quality" inside the car with the aircon/cc on, it tends to get "stuffy" with it turned off (unless the windows are down of course).

So I've done 20k+ miles since new with the aircon on for 99% of that, and its STILL working OK so far. Average duration of journeys is probably 1hr+.

Out of interest .. anyone know how many miles a fully charged up system is good for?

Mine is at 12 years and 310000 miles still on it's factory fill. Bet I have jinxed myself now though

Not working at 21k miles from new and just had to have various bits of pipework replaced due to porosity.

Leaving it on will almost certainly prolong it's life. It's when the system is not used for long periods that seals start to dry out and crack.

The manuals always tell you to periodically use the A/C even in the winter months to keep the system lubricated. Most manuals I have read say to use it at least once a month.

Had my previous car (not MB) for 7 years and 50k miles and it never needed a re-gas.

As stwat said, aircons can last very long if used regularly.

My last car, an E class estate covered 120k miles in 7 years and never turned the aircon off. As Stwat has said, they are better left on all year round.

People who say turn it off to save fuel are talking a false economy. Far cheaper to pay for the minute extra fuel costs than have the seals dry out. Both our cars run a/c all year round. Wife's Honda I had regassed once and it really didn't need it. Mine twice at GTGs - not needed but I felt it was a good idea as the price was so good.

It depends on the car for the fuel economy difference too, I remember hearing something like any engine about 200 BHP or over and it really won't affect the fuel economy at all, I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, I certainly haven't noticed a difference in economy with it on or off in the E55.

On my 280SE , when you turn the a/c on , you can really hear and feel the extra load being put on the engine at idling .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom