How long does your Mercedes last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Murff

Car
W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Just thought I'd see what kind of mileage people are getting out of their cars before its time for the scrap heap???

I know what you use the car for makes a difference, ie motorways or short journeys etc, just curious to see.

I've got w211 280 CDI with 60000 miles on a 58 plate, hoping to keep it for at least 5 years with 20000 miles per year annual mileage

If you look after it then it'll never need to go to the scrap heap! I was very sad to see both of my 202s get scrapped after a combined 345k miles, one was rolled down a hill and the other spun on the motorway into a crash barrier. Both were running well right before that...

I have a 1995 C180. Has done 109,000. Body work not in ideal state. Interior is mint.

Does small journeys of no more than 3 miles a day. Was thinking of selling a few years back.

Mechanic told me off saying it was in perfect nick and last lot Mercedes built properly? What he meant by that I don't know.

Will keep car till its very end. I think its life has only started.

2003 W220 S500 on approx 130k miles.

Interior in almost perfect condition. Mechanically sound but usual W220 bubbling appearing at the arches.

Engine is probably good for about 500k miles. It'll resemble a go-kart by then.

It's an MB, so mileage isn't going to be what consigns it to the scrap heap. Unreliability and cost of failed components, plus rust, will kill it long before mileage wears it out.

Had W124 230TE with 258000 miles on the clock. Most of the life towing a horse trailer.
Gave it away to a friend but he failed to pay insurance and the car was towed away and then scraped. Still was going strong tho but exterior not in the best condition and lots of bills from the past.

Does small journeys of no more than 3 miles a day. Was thinking of selling a few years back.
Not really the greatest life for a car though, 3 miles per day isn't enough to get things up to temperature. No matter the mileage I'd have it serviced annually to make sure it's ok.
Mechanic told me off saying it was in perfect nick and last lot Mercedes built properly? What he meant by that I don't know.
The early w202 is a bit like a baby w124; The w124 is considered by many to be the "last of the properly built" but this is scoffed at by w123, w126, w114/115 and w116 owners who all think theirs is the "last of the properly built". The 202 is a solid little car that if looked after will go on forever :)

Ah. Thank you for the insights. It is a great car and really well made. Driven by my 74 year old dad. He loves it.

Car is serviced every year without fail. Only thing that has been replaced is radiator. Though I have to say the alarm is a pain. Have constant problems with it.

Though I have to say the alarm is a pain. Have constant problems with it.
If you are particularly attached to the car I'd have the alarm removed and a new one professionally installed. MB were forced to fit alarms to cars delivered to the UK market back in the early 90s and they were a weak spot.

My 1996 s124 is not far from 240000, no major issues yet.:thumb:

I've got w211 280 CDI with 60000 miles on a 58 plate, hoping to keep it for at least 5 years with 20000 miles per year annual mileage

160,000 miles in five years time? It should be fine with regular maintenance. My 57 plate E320 CDi with the same engine (in a higher state of tune) has done it without any major issues.

Our clk 208 has got 180k on it. The v6 is still powerful smooth and refined. No major issues at all. It's driven nearly every day.

Just thought I'd see what kind of mileage people are getting out of their cars before its time for the scrap heap???

I know what you use the car for makes a difference, ie motorways or short journeys etc, just curious to see.

W210 E220cdi Estate Auto, Reg Jan 2003, 163,000 miles,original exhaust, fsh, no bubbles on paintwork, 50+mpg, 50k on each set of Michelins, I expect to keep it for as long again. An outstanding drive.
Regards
John

1998 W140 S320L now on 68800 miles, driven daily, drives perfect, under 5000 miles a year on average so nothing much. BUT Old 1995 C124 only sold due to bodywork so rusty it looked like it was retrieved from the Titanic! Still going strong engine-wise (ignoring the wiring harness issue) when the buyer collected it at ~170000 miles late last year. Average of 10625 miles a year that did.

With an older Mercedes you can be sure rust will get it before the engine even starts to go!

I've had several well beyond 200K , with the record going to my 430K 300TE-24 before that woman demolished my garden wall and wrote it off in my drive .

I tend to buy my cars just run in with about 100K on them , then proceed to double or treble that figure .

On the other side of the coin , my 1957 Ponton is showing 68,000 Km ( a little over 40,000 miles ) ; I bought it in 1982 showing 19,000 Km , no idea if it is genuine but it drives like a low mileage car should .

Last edited:
My 91 500SEL is on just under 149K and still doing alright! few bits need doing but she gets used every weekend and week days from time to time like today :)

420sel

W126, 1989, owned from new, 248000 miles on. Just had a 10 year semi retirement in S of France and only now repatriated to UK due to thirst. We've come a long way together, but I don't know what to do with her now. Not likely to be used as she should be. I have others at 150k, 228k etc., and all run perfectly if cared for.

Attachments

• DSCN0458.JPG
    DSCN0458.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 141
W126, 1989, owned from new, 248000 miles on. Just had a 10 year semi retirement in S of France and only now repatriated to UK due to thirst. We've come a long way together, but I don't know what to do with her now. Not likely to be used as she should be. I have others at 150k, 228k etc., and all run perfectly if cared for.
Keep her. she looks in good condition :) very rare nowa days! its a no brainer... to me anyway

First W211 went back after 4 years with close to 160k miles on it - looked and performed as nicely as when she first arrived.

This one will go back with about 80-85k - again, looks and feels as it did on day one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom