How long takes to receive speeding ticket from Germany?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nope all is clear

...for the time being...I had 2 arrive from Spain last week, 400Euro...the events took place on 6th June whilst driving from Barcelona to Denia (we made good time)...

Hire car. So paid up promptly...received 50% discount. If hadn't paid the hire company would I believe and then hit you with additional charges...so, rather than 200 Euro we paid it would probably cost more than the 400E.

Hire car.
these are keywords. . So no sweat Persian hero. I think we r alright.

P. S. I don't want this thread to get too big. Just in case some law maker would get an idea for a new way to screw people. So let's just nip this in a bud :) Ja? :D

During my 19yrs driving through Germany I have had God knows how many flashes by Speed Cameras and not once have I been stopped at the Border after the events nor by Immigration when I fly.
Highest speed was 264kmh in July 2012 in a strange 120kmh zone which I knew as a No speed restriction zone previous years.
They have these 1.5m high cylindrical towers with white and black rings down them now. The black areas are one way glass with cameras behind and very well disguised but even though I've been blitzed many a time.

Last 3 were back in July this year on the AMG Tour, again.....nada :)

Nothing through the post and no "Get out of ze car pleez Sir"

I often have the local Polizei pull me over for spot checks, lift the bonnet kind of nosey searching for drugs checks but not a mention of any previous speeding offences

Just returned last week again so don't worry, nothing happens if it's your own vehicle :)

ChrisA said:
During my 19yrs driving through Germany I have had God knows how many flashes by Speed Cameras and not once have I been stopped at the Border after the events nor by Immigration when I fly. Highest speed was 264kmh in July 2012 in a strange 120kmh zone which I knew as a No speed restriction zone previous years. They have these 1.5m high cylindrical towers with white and black rings down them now. The black areas are one way glass with cameras behind and very well disguised but even though I've been blitzed many a time. Last 3 were back in July this year on the AMG Tour, again.....nada :) Nothing through the post and no "Get out of ze car pleez Sir" I often have the local Polizei pull me over for spot checks, lift the bonnet kind of nosey searching for drugs checks but not a mention of any previous speeding offences Just returned last week again so don't worry, nothing happens if it's your own vehicle :)

Same here many times traveling across Europe and firing many speed cameras never had a ticket coming home.
The only time I got finned was last year by the French authorities.

ChrisA said:
Is that similar to Spooning? :dk:
whats spooning mate?

You must drive different Autobahn's to me then :D As I type this I've just driven up from Mannheim to Frankfurt at mainly over 240 kmh, couple of roadworks on route but in true German style put a bit of yellow paint on the ground then a few hundred meters its all over and the fun starts again.

I love the place and the German attitude to cars, long may it reign :thumb:

Absolutely!

It's not perfect and there's quite a few areas with speed restrictions but, with a bit of online research, you easily can plan your route to ensure you keep to derestricted sections as much as possible. The volume of roadworks can be frustrating but unlike the UK, they're normally short and don't take up anymore room than necessary.

It's a unique place and those of us who like to get our speed fixes should count ourselves lucky it exists at all!

During my 19yrs driving through Germany I have had God knows how many flashes by Speed Cameras and not once have I been stopped at the Border after the events nor by Immigration when I fly.
Highest speed was 264kmh in July 2012 in a strange 120kmh zone which I knew as a No speed restriction zone previous years.
They have these 1.5m high cylindrical towers with white and black rings down them now. The black areas are one way glass with cameras behind and very well disguised but even though I've been blitzed many a time.

Just returned last week again so don't worry, nothing happens if it's your own vehicle :)

Yep, likewise. If you're in your own car then it seems they do not (or can not) chase you for a fine or points. I too have blasted through some cameras at way over the limit but recieved nothing, and I go back regularly both by car and plane.

Saying this, I change cars so often that I rarely go back in the same one :D. I can't comment on whether the subsequent owners of my cars are receiving random speeding tickets from Europe :p. I suspect not.

I was fortunate to have had a clear Autobahn whilst testing one of MSL Performance cars a few months ago. 750bhp C63 Weistec on the Bremen to Cuxhaven Southbound route was good fun :D

Best run I ever had in my car was from Salzburg (Austria) to Esbjerg (Denmark) back in July after our excellent AMG Alpine Tour. 750 miles of which 80% was derestricted......only downfall was filling up 4 times on the way up there :crazy:

Managed to complete the trip in just over 6.5hrs with a quick food stop half way :thumb:

Petrolhead or not, the Autobahn is a great place to legally hit some serious speeds as long as you plan the route carefully and avoid the heavy traffic routes :cool:

Cross-border enforcement for speeding and certain other motoring offences was introduced across 25 of the 28 EU member states in late 2013, but the original EU Directive was ruled by the ECJ to have been made on the incorrect legal basis and in a typical ECJ fudgement was therefore deemed to be void, but still enforceable during a 1-year transition period while a legally correct replacement Directive was enacted. Denmark, Ireland and the UK were the three states that refused to play with the original directive. However...

Due to the ECJ ruling, the three states not included in the original Directive are included in the scope of the replacement Directive which is due to come into force in May 2015.

So, it looks like escaping camera-detected traffic violations in other EU member states by having a UK registered vehicle could be about to come to an end.

For more information, see the ETSC FAQ on the Cross Border Enforcement Directive here.

Cross-border enforcement for speeding and certain other motoring offences was introduced across 25 of the 28 EU member states in late 2013, but the original EU Directive was ruled by the ECJ to have been made on the incorrect legal basis and in a typical ECJ fudgement was therefore deemed to be void, but still enforceable during a 1-year transition period while a legally correct replacement Directive was enacted. Denmark, Ireland and the UK were the three states that refused to play with the original directive. However...

Due to the ECJ ruling, the three states not included in the original Directive are included in the scope of the replacement Directive which is due to come into force in May 2015.

So, it looks like escaping camera-detected traffic violations in other EU member states by having a UK registered vehicle could be about to come to an end.

For more information, see the ETSC FAQ on the Cross Border Enforcement Directive here.

Thanks, very useful. It looks like this extends to just fines and not points. The fines reflect what they would be in the foreign country, with the home country not really getting involved so there's no way to add points. Is this how you understand it?

I noted this paragraph: This information letter has to be written in the same language as the registration certificate in the Member State of registration and it must include relevant information about the traffic offence – the nature of the offence, the date and time of detection, the article of the relevant piece of legislation infringed – and the legal consequences of the offence.

For once, being the home of the 'universal language' works against us. At this point, it would be good to be Greek or at least have a Greek registered vehicle.

I also like the implication that by definition, if you own a vehicle registered in one EU state, you must be able to read the language even if you are from another.

The fines reflect what they would be in the foreign country, with the home country not really getting involved so there's no way to add points. Is this how you understand it?
I suspect that will be down to whatever the home country puts in its own legislation that enables the Directive. Knowing the way the UK tend to gold plate EU legislation, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the implementation here ended up as being the only one that incorporated a licence sanction system too :rolleyes:

Time to buy some Greek plates then ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom