How long to change Automatic Gearbox Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SUPERNOVA1a

Car
Mercedes S63 BiTurbo 2012. LEXUS LS400. JENSEN INTERCEPTOR Mk3 8.2
Just been given a rough estimate to change the gearbox oil. Over 3 Hours and £300/400 cost. just thinking out aloud, does it take this long to change the oil?
Lexus Birmingham. For a LS400.

I guess it rather depends on the specifc car? Maybe better ask this on a Lexus forum seeing as it in regards to a Lexus specific issue..

Only member on here I know who has a Lexus is Whitenemesis and his is brand new so doubt he has much info on ATF change

Different 'boxes/manufacturers have different schedules.

Is the £3/400 dealer price?

Different 'boxes/manufacturers have different schedules.

Is the £3/400 dealer price?

Dealer quote

It was just a general question really. Are Merc Autos the same sort of time to change the oil?

First a considerable volume of synthetic ? autotransmission FLUID will be used. I imagine /hope the torque convertor fluid will be changed at the same time. In order to get the fluid out of the cooler +box +T/C assembly I believe its often placed on a machine which pumps the new fluid in automatically and extracts the old stuff but can be done in a series of manual operations. If the internal filter is being changed then the grbox sump has to be dropped and this may mean some underbody cladding removal. This is going to bump up the labour costs. I would say the costs mirrors what an MB dealer would charge for a similar operation. Going to an independent would reduce labour but not material costs.

ps one of our resident experts BlackC55 posted a thread describing an autobox fluid change a while back
https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/88418-how-change-automatic-gerbox-oil-flush-722-6-box.html

Last edited:
Dealer quote

It was just a general question really. Are Merc Autos the same sort of time to change the oil?

The labour on my 722.6 was £65 the fluid was £120

Dealer quote

Last fluid/filter change including TC flush was about 3 hours and cost was £200 (10l oil).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom