How many are remaining on UK roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tali

MB Enthusiast
Car
qashqai
In the latest issue of Mercedes Enthusiast magazine they ran a feature on a 560SEL and stated how difficult it was to find one and how a 560SEC outnumbered the SEL- so (if someone has the DVLA info )how many are remaining on UK roads- or even other older Mercs?

I couldn't find a decent 560SEL when I was looking, so I settled on a blue/black metallic 500SEL, which as a 1992 on a "K" plate makes it one of the last ones to hit UK roads. Other than it being a touch thirsty - a long gentle motorway run still fails to get much over 19mpg - I think it's a great way to travel. Couple of piccies posted here. :)

I do agree, it is difficult to find one now. I think a lot of people who still had them a couple of years ago got rid of them realising that repairs are very, very expensive. The people who bought them, relatively cheaply at the time couldn't afford to maintain them, so they were sold for spares or scrapped.

Of course the people who could afford to maintain them have kept because of the money invested in them basically and would find it very hard to get the money back.

There are a couple knocking about, but they are really expensive or are on there way out.

Personally I think that in the future the SEL (560) will become more of a collectors item than the SEC.

Of course, this is my judgement after looking for a decent one now for a couple of years but not wanting to spend huge amounts of money, which in nigh impossible unless you want trouble.

This is a pic of the last one I had - beautiful car, but with ECU problems on the horizon which would have cost more to fix than the car cost me, considering they have three of the damn things!!!

I still miss it.......

Last edited:
I couldn't find a decent 560SEL when I was looking, so I settled on a blue/black metallic 500SEL, which as a 1992 on a "K" plate makes it one of the last ones to hit UK roads. Other than it being a touch thirsty - a long gentle motorway run still fails to get much over 19mpg - I think it's a great way to travel. Couple of piccies posted here. :)

I have seen a K plate 300SE,and black 500SECs black (K554KNN)and white K749TEA - and your 500SEL:cool: might be last 500SEL registered in UK.I reckon no more than a handful were sold on K
Oddly the last 560SEL is only in 1991 which was a white one H848RJE- so not even a J plate.Wonder if there is a K -560SEC ?

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, there's a 560SEC blue/black metallic which the owner claims is the last off the line in the UK - Sep 92 on a K plate. You'll find details of it here. (it's about half way down the page).

I agree that there are very few left (either SEC or SE/L) as the cost of maintenance does turn prohibitive as the car gets older. Couple that with fuel economy that's more Challenger Tank than Honda Civic & you've got a car that ultimately only the enthusiants will persist with. Then again, if you also factor in depreciation, or rather the lack of it, then it's not too difficult a choice to justify....

I do agree, it is difficult to find one now. I think a lot of people who still had them a couple of years ago got rid of them realising that repairs are very, very expensive. The people who bought them, relatively cheaply at the time couldn't afford to maintain them, so they were sold for spares or scrapped.

Of course the people who could afford to maintain them have kept because of the money invested in them basically and would find it very hard to get the money back.

There are a couple knocking about, but they are really expensive or are on there way out.

Personally I think that in the future the SEL (560) will become more of a collectors item than the SEC.

Of course, this is my judgement after looking for a decent one now for a couple of years but not wanting to spend huge amounts of money, which in nigh impossible unless you want trouble.

This is a pic of the last one I had - beautiful car, but with ECU problems on the horizon which would have cost more to fix than the car cost me, considering they have three of the damn things!!!

I still miss it.......

Three ECUs..Whatever for?? I know the car has loads of electronics but what on earth do they control??

As a matter of fact, there's a 560SEC blue/black metallic which the owner claims is the last off the line in the UK - Sep 92 on a K plate. You'll find details of it here. (it's about half way down the page).

I agree that there are very few left (either SEC or SE/L) as the cost of maintenance does turn prohibitive as the car gets older. Couple that with fuel economy that's more Challenger Tank than Honda Civic & you've got a car that ultimately only the enthusiants will persist with. Then again, if you also factor in depreciation, or rather the lack of it, then it's not too difficult a choice to justify....

Thanks but the link is not working

Hmmm....strange that the link isn't working. You'll find the details within the W126 section on this webpage http://www.**********.com/

Do the moderators of this site have a problem with that site ? I only ask as the word ********** has been replaced by ***** within the link I posted. Politics gets everywhere !!:D

Okay it really doesn't like that word. Let me try again "m e r c s e l l e r" (hopefully that'll get through) If there's a problem posting links to that site, someone please enlighten me !!

Okay it really doesn't like that word. Let me try again "m e r c s e l l e r" (hopefully that'll get through) If there's a problem posting links to that site, someone please enlighten me !!

Shame no good pics or reg number
BTW - K554KNN is registered 01 08 1992 and K749 TEA is later at 27 08 1992 - where does you SEL fit into for K reg dates?

Opps - just read this one ! My W126 isn't quite as new, having been first registered on August 14th 1992.

Incidentally, for those of you with a liking for the 126 Coupe, the January edition of Mercedes Enthusiast (released on 19th Dec) contains a review. Looking at the teaser shot in the December issue it appears to be based around a 1992 J plate 500SEC currently for sale at Charles Ironside. Here's a link to the site. It's the jet black number up for £8950.

K reg 560SEC :rock::rock: K957 DRO are:
Date of Liability 01 05 2007 Date of First Registration 01 08 1992 Year of Manufacture 1992 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 5547CC CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour SILVER
1.jpg

Last edited:
I viewed a white 560 SEL on an F plate (still for sale now a year later) but it had a few too many issues for me to feel comfortable buying it. An iconic car though all the same.

i know of a smoke silver d plate with a particularly rare interior which is a concours winner. if anyone wants more info let me know.

if anyone is seriously interested pm me and i'll put you in touch. but he's a good friend so serious only please, thanks.
interior is burgundy leather, very kitsch! i like it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom