How many change to winter wheels and tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The locals in Scotland or the Alps are much more likely to be in front wheel drive vehicles - with winter tyres and sensible driving.

There isn't a single steroeotype that applies.

I suspect most with normal road vehicles don't think much about winter tyres and fewer still buy them.

Whoops, apologies to Dryce,

I should have said "the locals living around the mountains of Scotland and the Alps...."

I live just South of London and so far haven't felt the requirement for winter tyres. I commute by bus/train so if they're not running, I work from home.

My only essential drives and even then it's family oriented are to pick up my eldest daughter from her mums. If the weather was so too bad it's something I could hold off for my daughters safety as much as my own. That said I do keep snow socks in the car for an emergency. I live at the top of a hilly area so can be tricky but in the 11 years of living here we've only had two relatively heavy snow falls!

Have been changing to a Winter set up now for a number of years , was beginning to think it was an expense not needed.

That was until we arrived back at Gatwick airport after a winter holiday in the Maldives to be met by the Beast From the East . The winter tyres proved to be brilliant and got us back to Norfolk safely, although it did take us six hours with some brown Corduroy Trouser moments .

Do you have the AMG Line S213? I've recently purchased one and I was looking at getting a set of winter wheels for driving to the Alps this winter. I'd read that the 17" alloys may not be big enough to fit over the large brakes used on the AMG line.

Yep - AMG line 220d on 19" rims. I ordered these .
I mailed Kunzmann first with my VIN number too check they were right, I also checked with our local Merc dealer and they came back with the same part number but were quoting about 30% more... they were delivered within 48 hours. If you're interested might be worth speaking to them before the end of October ......

Picture of the car with the winter wheels & tyres now on it...

48990000533_f8a08118d1_b.jpg

Very smart.
I've just sold my S213 (same model and colour) and bought an A-Class. Quite a step down I know but I haven't needed the space for a long time now and parking spaces seem to be getting smaller every year (or maybe my parking is just getting worse). Anyway, I'm pleased with the cars so far. Just see how it goes for a while.

BUT, I have a set of 19" Mercedes alloy wheels with winter tyres (2 years old) that I am about to put up for sale. Just need to take some pictures. If anyone is interested (AJayB?) then please PM me. Tyres are in Salisbury.

Do you have the AMG Line S213? I've recently purchased one and I was looking at getting a set of winter wheels for driving to the Alps this winter. I'd read that the 17" alloys may not be big enough to fit over the large brakes used on the AMG line.
If you haven't already bought some then I have a set you might be interested in. I will post them in the 'for sale' section soon or PM me for more details. Thanks.

Picture of the car with the winter wheels & tyres now on it...

48990000533_f8a08118d1_b.jpg
Thanks for the picture. I was worried dropping to the 17" rims would ruin the appearance a bit, but it still looks smart. Theres not much clearance left to the caliper is there! :)

If you haven't already bought some then I have a set you might be interested in. I will post them in the 'for sale' section soon or PM me for more details. Thanks.
Hi nickpb, thanks for the offer, but I've already bought a set of 2nd hand 17" wheels. I ordered a set of winter tyres (Bridgestone Blizzaks LM005) off Oponeo to go on them, just waiting for them to arrive from Germany.

Thanks for the picture. I was worried dropping to the 17" rims would ruin the appearance a bit, but it still looks smart. Theres not much clearance left to the caliper is there! :)

I think they look fine note car, but yep, that caliper is close!

The difference in comfort is very noticeable with smaller wheels and taller tyres even though they are run-flats.

Seriously thinking of buying a smarter 17" wheelset for the summer and ditching the 19's as it makes the car far more usable on our local Cheshire cart tracks roads.

Purchased set of wheels/winter tyres last year, great investment in my opinion. Not much opportunity to put them to the test but when we did have some snow the difference was staggering. So much more planted in the rain too, no constant wheel spinning out of junctions:wallbash: Keeps the original 19's in top shape, changed to winters (in pic) last week and will look to get summers back on late march/april :thumb:
file-2 (2).jpg

Thought I’d treat the E500…. Lightly used set of 18” wheels with Continential Winter Tyres.
The rubber bands I have on the stock 19”s are soooo hard in the winter!

As the exchange rate has moved a bit in our favour this last week I finally pulled the trigger on them.
Supplied by Arena Wheels in Germany and delivered in 48 hours. I had good pre-sales service from Markus.

49257564406_df1b87892a_b.jpg

Thought I’d treat the E500…. Lightly used set of 18” wheels with Continential Winter Tyres.
The rubber bands I have on the stock 19”s are soooo hard in the winter!

Now fitted to the car and tested in the Peak District this morning! Huge difference in comfort and grip.

49293862776_a5b41828fc_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom