How many flights of stairs can you climb in less that 10 minutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Joining in this health debate very late with a very old person’s point of view. I’m rapidly heading towards my 72 birthday and I don’t take any medication, unless you include Benecol yoghurts to reduce the risk of cholesterol getting too high. I haven’t done any specific exercising for the last twenty years, but I do have a young wife, a three year old daughter and a four story house that all contribute to keeping me relatively fit. I don’t particularly watch my diet (pies, chocolate biscuits and beer are too good to miss) but I do cook mostly reasonably healthy food whilst avoiding takeaways and other junk food substitutes.

Following a recent full body MoT that included loads of blood tests, ECG, lung checks, etc I was told that I’m still firing on all cylinders but my BMI is near the top of the acceptable range and my muscle mass is lower than it should be. So I’ve started doing a bit of weights work, though probably far less than I need.

When people meet me for the first time they assume I’m in my mid to late 50s or early 60s. This is probably helped by still having a full head of hair that my hairdresser wife regularly details. And I also still have all my own teeth. I like to believe that my reasonably good health is down to the fact that I’ve never smoked and I always walk fairly fast, even around the house. Exercise just for exercise sake doesn’t do it for me.

I've been meaning to respond for a while @Londonscottish. Interesting seeing how HR goes over time. I found as I got older that it drops off a beat or two a year and now rarely gets excited and still lives at rest in the 40s.

So it's been nothing to do with all the exercise at all! Oh bollx :)

I can't get into Fitbits and in truth know pretty much what my HR is at all times - within a few beats or so.

I got one virtually free through work. It did help we sort my achilles problem. Walking on it was a good thing to do. And it does remind me to get up and walk around on a quiet day. So quite useful

Good luck with your run tomorrow. I am in St Ives and have been walking backwards up hills. Great for quads obviously but also allows you to see the view behind rather then just the hill in front of you. :)

LOL. I love your posts. Oddly enough when I was in DC I used to see a woman in the gym using the treadmill backwards. I guess she must have been from Cornwall originally.

Joining in this health debate very late with a very old person’s point of view. I’m rapidly heading towards my 72 birthday and I don’t take any medication, unless you include Benecol yoghurts to reduce the risk of cholesterol getting too high. I haven’t done any specific exercising for the last twenty years, but I do have a young wife, a three year old daughter and a four story house that all contribute to keeping me relatively fit. I don’t particularly watch my diet (pies, chocolate biscuits and beer are too good to miss) but I do cook mostly reasonably healthy food whilst avoiding takeaways and other junk food substitutes.

Following a recent full body MoT that included loads of blood tests, ECG, lung checks, etc I was told that I’m still firing on all cylinders but my BMI is near the top of the acceptable range and my muscle mass is lower than it should be. So I’ve started doing a bit of weights work, though probably far less than I need.

When people meet me for the first time they assume I’m in my mid to late 50s or early 60s. This is probably helped by still having a full head of hair that my hairdresser wife regularly details. And I also still have all my own teeth. I like to believe that my reasonably good health is down to the fact that I’ve never smoked and I always walk fairly fast, even around the house. Exercise just for exercise sake doesn’t do it for me.

Sounds like you're in great shape.

You're right of course - any form of exercise does it. But building a bit of muscle is always a good idea (or so I have learnt over the last couple of years anyway).

Joining in this health debate very late with a very old person’s point of view. I’m rapidly heading towards my 72 birthday and I don’t take any medication, unless you include Benecol yoghurts to reduce the risk of cholesterol getting too high.

I'd be very happy to be in the same situation in 18 years' time.

I haven’t done any specific exercising for the last twenty years, but I do have a young wife, a three year old daughter and a four story house that all contribute to keeping me relatively fit.

I bet. You're living in a virtual gym.

I don’t particularly watch my diet (pies, chocolate biscuits and beer are too good to miss) but I do cook mostly reasonably healthy food whilst avoiding takeaways and other junk food substitutes.

Sounds like me - well the beer, anyway.

There's a good app you can get for your phone - 7 Minute Workout - which is great for building a bit of muscle in short daily burst.

One of the main reasons that I exercise is to make up for the sedentary bits - eg sitting at a desk 5 days a week. We're not designed to sit around - we're meant to be moving.

My Mum's 90 and she's never been to the gym - but has always kept very active. Works for her.

So how is everybody doing? Interesting to see what folks have been up to when they haven’t been posting updates.

I’m prompted because family bought me a LuluLemon Pilates mat yesterday. Previous one was destroyed by my cycling shoes. Never really appreciated how important mats are, especially if you are big and inclined to practice on different types of surfaces.

There’s one manoeuvre that involves downward dog to military push up and it’s hell if the mat slips, which the latest one doesn’t. I’ve also returned back to floor exercises with 2.5kg ankle weights. Amazing how much extra effort is required to whirl your legs in the air with what appears to be little extra weight.

I’m hopeful that as I get older - 60 next year - that I can rely on walking and Pilates alone to keep me in great shape. Not convinced though. Which means for now that one side of the garage will remain dedicated to cardio (and half empty paint pots ;) ).

OK beat this for an excuse. I'm not walking up many stairs at the moment because I had a sheep run into my knee on Saturday.

(Yes, really)

Still chipping away at resistance and cardio.

I'm improving my rowing time finally which is rewarding - and the recovery time is decreasing too as you'd expect.

@Londonscottish -

I've been meaning to post this for a while for you - finally got round to it. Here's a short excerpt from one of one of Sean Vigue's core Pilates routines. This is part of a long (paid for) workout of 25 minutes. About 10 seconds in he starts on something he calls Tornados... the best Ab exercise I've come across in 40+ years ...

sean vigue cardio-sub-clip.mp4

@Londonscottish -

I've been meaning to post this for a while for you - finally got round to it. Here's a short excerpt from one of one of Sean Vigue's core Pilates routines. This is part of a long (paid for) workout of 25 minutes. About 10 seconds in he starts on something he calls Tornados... the best Ab exercise I've come across in 40+ years ...

Thanks Patagonian. I'll have a look later. I've been getting a bit lazier in all the recent heat and need to kick start things again before hol in August.

@Londonscottish -

God that looks mental. I'll definitely give it a go at the weekend.

In other news I've decided to buck up my ideas. Going to do the 7 Minute Workout every day for the next six weeks to trim down my midriff a bit for the beach.

I've been slacking on the HITT stuff, the hill running and the stairs and it's beginning to show.

I got within 6lbs of my target weight and took my foot off the gas a bit........now 10lbs away from where I want to be. And my heart rate has crept up a touch.

It's hard work all this keep fit/watch what you eat malarky........:)

_103392798_39a75c55-64ec-4f74-988b-6adc067ab562.jpg

Mark Wahlberg reveals gruelling daily regime

Here you go guys, see you on St Pauls steps at 2am tomorrow ;)

30 minutes for Shower and dressed. Then an hours drive to the golf club.

Where do the Funky Bunch fit into that schedule then?

How many flights of stairs can you climb in less that 10 minutes?

I went up 14 storey office block in less than 60 seconds today. Worked out to be 252 steps in total.

Had to wait 2 mins for the lift to arrive by the way.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom