How many flights of stairs can you climb in less that 10 minutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not sure this kind of thread would be over-subscribed and would probably not get heated.

You never know on this forum though. :rolleyes::D

Might need a title change though if we are to stick with this thread!

I'm not sure this kind of thread would be over-subscribed and would probably not get heated.

You never know on this forum though. :rolleyes::D

Might need a title change though if we are to stick with this thread!

How do you change the title? Is that something the mods do?

FWIW I've managed to do the 7 Minute Workout 5 times this week. On top of the press ups I started 3-ish weeks ago. I can feel some upper body muscle mass reappearing. And I'm bouncing more when I run - but I thanks that's thanks to the combination of everything I've been doing.

Hoping to run 5 miles tomorrow and it'll be interesting to so if I'm a bit faster.

I've been treating myself to more beer than usual and had a real blowout at the football last week.

As a result my weight has stayed constant although I've been swapping a bit of fat for a bit of muscle.

Not to good at climbing lately but can mange to fall down a flight pretty easily ;)

As a result my weight has stayed constant although I've been swapping a bit of fat for a bit of muscle.

That's interesting. Is that round your tummy or...?

I've had an interesting few weeks. As mentioned previously, I like to switch between high intensity, high resistance cardio, walking, pilates and calorie control - as required. Or as boredom dictates - so won't ever plan anything specific in advance other than as a general activity target. I tend not to record anything about my activity (unlike in my mid age crisis 40s), other than hills when in Cornwall. I find I can read my body pretty well. But, last week I came back from another 2 weeks in St Ives and felt a little podgy. I'd done plenty of exercise whilst there including some gruelling hills and lots of extreme pilates, but something wasn't quite right. Even though everybody else around me said I looked no different. But, that's family for you.

So this week, I've been fasting, or as near as dammit. I didn't start out with with the intention of not eating much, but I'm finding that I can sneakily plant stuff in the back of my mind and it sort of takes over in the background. A will of iron helps - or maybe it doesn't given I keep getting to the end of the day feeling light headed and then raid whatever's on offer in the fridge. Usually not much as we don't tend to buy any processed foods, nor do we keep white goods such as rice and bread upload_2018-3-23_18-34-19.png. And can't remember the last time we had pastry in the house - although an overloaded seagull dropped half a pasty into my lap last week and it seemed a shame to waste it. Which as unlikely as it may seem, might explain why I felt the need to readjust my food intake when I got home.

All a bit excessive I know. But that's me all over. But, at least it keeps me physically very healthy, although as mentioned elsewhere, it doesn't do much for my anxiety issues. But there's good news on that front, more of which later.

I have the same issue as LS.

Mainly tummy area is where I gain weight first typically.

It has shrunk a lot though although I am in no hurry to get rid.

I'm quite happy carrying some fat around!

I mix things up similarly.

Glad there is positive news on the anxiety... :)

Yes, it's mostly the classic male stomach fat. And a bit round my neck/lower face. I have got rid of a fair bit over the last 12-18 months, probably half, especially since I resumed training late last year. Since then I've gone down a collar size in my work shirts, switched from regular fit to slim fit, gone down a T shirt size and a jeans size and had all my suit trousers taken in. All good but there's still some left.

I have a mate who fasts and he sheds loads every time.

I'm a bit lazy in that respect and, although, I'm very careful 80% of the time I've been having a few beers after work recently, the odd cheese sandwich, last saturday's football/hot dog/beer/curry fest and so on.

I'd like to be able to increase my exercise and chip it away like I could in my 20's and 30's but it it comes to it the only option might be to cut right back on the nasty stuff for a while.

Good luck on the anxiety front Patagonion. The brain is a very powerful but sometimes very odd organ.

I don't diet generally, and fast even less, but I do fast occasionally if I want to motivate myself - sort of kidding myself the physical work has already been done. A bit like a touch of fake tan before you go to the beach (apparently :cool:).

@Londonscottish, I had half a handful on the back of my shoulders which I could reach over and grab. It wasn't fat as far as I could tell, at least, not the same consistency as tummy fat. Anyway, a few months after switching to a mostly carb free diet I noticed one day that it had gone. Now folks say you can't spot reduce, but nothing else had changed in my diet or exercise, so I'm pretty sure my diet moved it on.

With regards to a loose neck, that's a tough one. One thing that helped me was core Pilates. Lying on my back with my shoulders rolled forward slightly and head off the ground about 3-4 inches. And then keeping it locked in that position whilst doing core abs and leg exercises. I can forward videos if interested. Bl**dy hard, but will tone the muscles in your neck, plus will tighten your abs just beneath where the two sides of your rib cage meet above your heart. Mine stuck out for years and i couldn't move it. And within 3 or 4 pilates sessions it had gone - or at least had been pulled inside my body - effectively the same result.

Talking more about the tummy - I have what they call a Greek waste, or something like that. The muscle sticks out over the side of my pants/shorts (the exterior oblique). This was formed by a combination of Pilates (lying on back and whirling straight legs around in circles, less than 2 feet off the ground - agony) - plus standing in my gym with a 20KG weight held flat against my chest. And then looking forward, focusing on something on the wall, and keeping feet planted, twisted your abdomen and shoulders to the right and left. Shoulders should rotate almost 90° if you are doing it right. You will also struggle for breath given you are locking your muscles in place due to keeping the weight in the same place. Anyway, a few weeks of this and you will see the external oblique filling out and... giving the appearance of a tighter central tummy area. Warning though, depending on the fit of your trollies, you might have to go up a waste size - it all depends if they sit on or below the oblique. But either way, it's a great feeling as your upper body power and torque comes from that region and will be visible through lighter t shirts in the summer. Apparently :)

@John, cheers re Anxiety. I've been seeing a therapist most days in St Ives - nothing heavy, but my wife said, following sessions, I had a smile on my face like she hasn't seen for years....

Interesting to hear you mix it up too. Sensible if like me you get bored doing the same old...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spotted this thread. Good idea to keep it going and good to see people working on their health. All too easy to take for granted. I too am the wrong side of 50. I have always run but in the last 4 years I have started doing Triathlon. Main reason to get more balance. When you run if you get injured that's it. With Tri you can swim or bike and it's rare to injure such that you can't do anything. Feels more easy on he body too. Changes I've noticed as I've got older or recovery time. Take longer to recover so it's a good idea to look at sleep, nutrition and exercise. They are all as important. I'm currently training for Ironman Mallorca so doing 11-12hrs a week which I love. To the OP, well done. We all have to start somewhere so to anyone thinking of doing more I would say don't worry about current level but think carefully about how far and how fast you want to improve. It's very easy to try too hard and then get injured. Mallorca is 13th May so full training now which tomorrow will be 3.5hrs on bike straight into 30min run.

I don't diet generally, and fast even less, but I do fast occasionally if I want to motivate myself - sort of kidding myself the physical work has already been done. A bit like a touch of fake tan before you go to the beach (apparently :cool:).

@Londonscottish, I had half a handful on the back of my shoulders which I could reach over and grab. It wasn't fat as far as I could tell, at least, not the same consistency as tummy fat. Anyway, a few months after switching to a mostly carb free diet I noticed one day that it had gone. Now folks say you can't spot reduce, but nothing else had changed in my diet or exercise, so I'm pretty sure my diet moved it on.

With regards to a loose neck, that's a tough one. One thing that helped me was core Pilates. Lying on my back with my shoulders rolled forward slightly and head off the ground about 3-4 inches. And then keeping it locked in that position whilst doing core abs and leg exercises. I can forward videos if interested. Bl**dy hard, but will tone the muscles in your neck, plus will tighten your abs just beneath where the two sides of your rib cage meet above your heart. Mine stuck out for years and i couldn't move it. And within 3 or 4 pilates sessions it had gone - or at least had been pulled inside my body - effectively the same result.

Talking more about the tummy - I have what they call a Greek waste, or something like that. The muscle sticks out over the side of my pants/shorts (the exterior oblique). This was formed by a combination of Pilates (lying on back and whirling straight legs around in circles, less than 2 feet off the ground - agony) - plus standing in my gym with a 20KG weight held flat against my chest. And then looking forward, focusing on something on the wall, and keeping feet planted, twisted your abdomen and shoulders to the right and left. Shoulders should rotate almost 90° if you are doing it right. You will also struggle for breath given you are locking your muscles in place due to keeping the weight in the same place. Anyway, a few weeks of this and you will see the external oblique filling out and... giving the appearance of a tighter central tummy area. Warning though, depending on the fit of your trollies, you might have to go up a waste size - it all depends if they sit on or below the oblique. But either way, it's a great feeling as your upper body power and torque comes from that region and will be visible through lighter t shirts in the summer. Apparently :)

@John, cheers re Anxiety. I've been seeing a therapist most days in St Ives - nothing heavy, but my wife said, following sessions, I had a smile on my face like she hasn't seen for years....

Interesting to hear you mix it up too. Sensible if like me you get bored doing the same old...

Thanks - I'll look into the core pilates. And if you have links to vids happy to have a look.

FWIW a week into my HIT programme I can already feel a big difference. Yesterday on my run I could really feel my abs (front and sides). First time in ages. And new muscles in my upper arms and shoulders.

I was tired though so am doing nothing today and may also skip tomorrow.

Re therapy. It's good to talk. Literally. :)

Just spotted this thread. Good idea to keep it going and good to see people working on their health. All too easy to take for granted. I too am the wrong side of 50. I have always run but in the last 4 years I have started doing Triathlon. Main reason to get more balance. When you run if you get injured that's it. With Tri you can swim or bike and it's rare to injure such that you can't do anything. Feels more easy on he body too. Changes I've noticed as I've got older or recovery time. Take longer to recover so it's a good idea to look at sleep, nutrition and exercise. They are all as important. I'm currently training for Ironman Mallorca so doing 11-12hrs a week which I love. To the OP, well done. We all have to start somewhere so to anyone thinking of doing more I would say don't worry about current level but think carefully about how far and how fast you want to improve. It's very easy to try too hard and then get injured. Mallorca is 13th May so full training now which tomorrow will be 3.5hrs on bike straight into 30min run.

What really spurred me on was the fact that on a beach holiday with another family in August 2016 I was WAY fatter than my mate, the other dad. Like me he's a mad keen QPR fan. Unlike me he can still get into the football shirt he wore in his early 20's. To add to the pain he's a really old friend of my wife and they originally met at the running club where they worked at time. And my wife is also the same size as she was in her 20's. So it was my wife, looking at my slowly but ever expanding waistline, who fired the starting pistol.

To compound matters further my oldest BIL is competing in the veteran athletics category in Scotland, the second oldest is an accomplished fell running, the third oldest has just shed a load of weight doing the 7 minute HIT and the youngest has just shed about 6 stone by doing the Keto diet.

There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide :)

What really spurred me on was the fact that on a beach holiday with another family in August 2016 I was WAY fatter than my mate, the other dad. Like me he's a mad keen QPR fan. Unlike me he can still get into the football shirt he wore in his early 20's. To add to the pain he's a really old friend of my wife and they originally met at the running club where they worked at time. And my wife is also the same size as she was in her 20's. So it was my wife, looking at my slowly but ever expanding waistline, who fired the starting pistol.

To compound matters further my oldest BIL is competing in the veteran athletics category in Scotland, the second oldest is an accomplished fell running, the third oldest has just shed a load of weight doing the 7 minute HIT and the youngest has just shed about 6 stone by doing the Keto diet.

There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide :)

Don't worry about the reason! Motivation. Is key and you've got it. I'd be careful with diet if I were you. Seen so many people over the years lose lots of weight through a diet and then put it all back on again. It's about habit and lifestyle. What happens when you come off the diet. Find an exercise routine that works for you. Running gives the best bang for your buck in terms of burning calories and getting fit. A reasonable pace burns 1000/hour. HIT obviously will help but can't burn the same amount. Core work is important to help running so that should be part of your routine. That said keeping up with the family is probably the best of all!

Don't worry about the reason! Motivation. Is key and you've got it. I'd be careful with diet if I were you. Seen so many people over the years lose lots of weight through a diet and then put it all back on again.

I agree. I'm not "on a diet" per se. I've just permanently adjusted what I eat so as to avoid things that cause unnecessary weight gain 80% of the time. It feels easy and normal.

Running gives the best bang for your buck in terms of burning calories and getting fit. A reasonable pace burns 1000/hour.

Yes. I've actually ditched cycling to work in favour of running and gym work. Even though I was hammering along on a big heavy mountain bike 9.5 miles each way it wasn't having that much effect. Or at least not as much as the exercises I'm going now.

HIT obviously will help but can't burn the same amount.

Isn't one of the ideas of HIT is that it speeds up your metabolic rate and keeps burning off calories for a number of hours afterwards?

Core work is important to help running so that should be part of your routine.

After a week of HIT I can really feel the affect on my core. Planks, crunches, side planks and lateral extensions. I reckon six weeks of that will do me a ton of good.

So I'll do a mix of longs runs, short (hill) runs, HIT sessions and stairs whilst eating sensibly.

That said keeping up with the family is probably the best of all!

Yes. Very motivational, that. Very.

And my mates, most of whom look after themselves.

Peer pressure is a great motivator.

Last edited:
Update. Went a bit mental yesterday. Did a 10 minute HIT session before I left for work. Ran a fast 4k on the running machine at lunchtime. Climbed Tower 42 after that.

This morning I was down to my lowest weight in years - just under 13st 2lbs. So 10-12lbs lighter than I was back in October when I resumed training and a further 4-5lbs lighter that I was in my spherical pomp.

Of course it's not just about weight it's about body shape as fat is less dense that muscle. I've just moved to a shorter belt size and looking at the marks on the old one I've lost a full 3 inches of waist circumference since my fattest in August 2016. 2 of which I reckon have come off in the last few weeks.

Ran 5 miles on the flat on Friday at a speed which would have seen me doing 10k in 55 minutes. So five minutes down on my time in Feb.

Saturday did some HIIT. Sunday some walking.

Today I six 3.2 hard miles up and down hills with wrist weights.

Tonight some pizza.

Just spotted this thread. Good idea to keep it going and good to see people working on their health. All too easy to take for granted.

I went to a conference the week before last and, as usual, saw a cast of characters with whom I've worked over the last 10, 20 or even 30 years.

Those in the 50-60 bracket fell into two categories; those who were attempting to keep a lid on weight gain and those who had given up years ago. In the latter camp there were some pretty scary waistlines. I guess it you put on just 4lb a year that's 3 stone over a decade....

Ran 5 miles on the flat on Friday at a speed which would have seen me doing 10k in 55 minutes. So five minutes down on my time in Feb.

Saturday did some HIIT. Sunday some walking.

Today I six 3.2 hard miles up and down hills with wrist weights.

Tonight some pizza.

Yeah I do the same.

Rewarding works well I think.

I went to a conference the week before last and, as usual, saw a cast of characters with whom I've worked over the last 10, 20 or even 30 years.

Those in the 50-60 bracket fell into two categories; those who were attempting to keep a lid on weight gain and those who had given up years ago. In the latter camp there were some pretty scary waistlines. I guess it you put on just 4lb a year that's 3 stone over a decade....

Was at something similar and at my table were people all my age or older. I was the only one not on any medication. Scary!

The sad thing is, a lot of it is preventable and it really doesn't take that much to change your lifestyle as long as you do it early on.

I think people underestimate what is involved to make a difference - and it certainly isn't hours slogging away at the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom