How many flights of stairs can you climb in less that 10 minutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was at something similar and at my table were people all my age or older. I was the only one not on any medication. Scary!

Ugh. What was the age range of these folks?

Ran 5 miles on the flat on Friday at a speed which would have seen me doing 10k in 55 minutes. So five minutes down on my time in Feb.

Tonight some pizza.

No pizza. It's the food of the fat American devil.

Your weight loss dividend is fantastic, but for the long term it's exercise for health, and eat for ideal weight.

Being fit is great - my 70 kilo 23 year old eats 5,000 calories a day. But even he knows that pizza is for fat boys.

It's very rare for people on their late 50's not to be on medication to rectify their refusal to eat or drink well.

The NHS take it for granted that people won't eat well so they dispense all kinds of medication - even though the evidence of their effectiveness is very suspect (especially for statins).

As my American friends cheerfully acknowledge, you take the meds so that you can keep eating the burgers.

Mod's - could you change the thread title to "Keep fit and food in your 50's"

40-early 60s. Diabetes. Beta blockers. You name it. I'm convinced you can get away being unhealthy for a bit but after 20-30yrs it takes it toll. My brother is 18mi the younger than me. Has all sorts of health issues but has always smoked, been overweight and not done any exercise.

40-early 60s. Diabetes. Beta blockers. You name it. I'm convinced you can get away being unhealthy for a bit but after 20-30yrs it takes it toll. My brother is 18mi the younger than me. Has all sorts of health issues but has always smoked, been overweight and not done any exercise.

God that's pretty grim. I'm 53 and have mates from mid-40's to late 50's/early 60's and am not aware of any of them being on meds other than those who've had or are having the Big C.

But maybe I'm wrong.

My exercise is limited to a few miles -in a month ( i can run down the house stairs fast -think my best was just over 3 secs).Never drank or smoked, tip the scales at 8 and half stones.Soon to be hitting the big 50, the teeth and hair are starting to go though , but not on any meds , thankfully so far.Can't complain as the last school reunion i went to was full of bald fat blokes

I can run up 7 floors in about 1 minute at my work place - Interpolating that into 10 minutes is a theoretical 70 floors. :D

in reality though, I would have totally run out of puff at 8 floors and be in snail mode / walking pace after that :D

I can run up 7 floors in about 1 minute at my work place - Interpolating that into 10 minutes is a theoretical 70 floors. :D

That's fast.

I'm assuming you're not 53?

Lots of talk about chronological age, but we've all seen folks that look much older or younger than their years. So was wondering what the panel thinks about the growing medical and scientific interest in biological age. Biological age being calculated on how you've lived your life, coupled to genetic factors, as opposed to how old you are in years.

Any thoughts? Or any examples of folks you know that look much older or younger than they really are?

Lots of talk about chronological age, but we've all seen folks that look much older or younger than their years. So was wondering what the panel thinks about the growing medical and scientific interest in biological age. Biological age being calculated on how you've lived your life, coupled to genetic factors, as opposed to how old you are in years.

Any thoughts? Or any examples of folks you know that look much older or younger than they really are?

If you spend time in the sun, that ages the skin, and consuming lots of antioxidants foods that mop up free radicals can help keep you young. Eating heathy food as opposed to lots of unbalanced fatty sugary foods over decades is common best practice.

Where it gets interesting is body size. They reckon the smaller you are the longer you'll live, and being female helps.

The heart may have a limited 'mileage' and beat capacity, so if you exercise it regularly you'll bring down your average resting heart beat, so during normal non physical activity you will have less heart beats in a day than a less healthy person. So over the years, you will have consumed less of this maximum capacity.

The other theory is around metabolism, the higher it is the faster cells 'run' and like the heart scenario will burn out quicker. The current fashion of intermittent fasting, eating less, deliberately tricks the body in a period of fasting to slow down the metabolism rate, as the body needs to conserve energy due to lack of food. Experiments in labs with rats have proven the fasted rats lived much longer than the rats that ate as much as they liked.

As you get older, the joints start getting stiffer, strength is lost in muscles, mind gets a bit duller. But if exercising/weight training/Yoga which is really fashionable these days, and using the muscles and performing brain games stimulates the body and mind to keep performing as it has, for longer, instead of periods of inactiveness where the body and mind just degenerates with old age due to limited use.

There are genetics too, seen some people who smoke like chimneys until old age with almost no effect.

Well my thoughts on the matter.

It's in my profile??
...can't see it in my profile. Just a lucky guess?
LOL. I wrote that because I'M 53 and couldnt do that. I just assumed that you were a decade or two younger than me. Now you've made me feel inadequate.

I'm going outside to run up and down a hilly track for half an hour.

Re the testing heart rate bit in your other (very interesting) post I'm delighted that my average for the week is 48bpm for the first time. It's 49 for the month, 50 over three months and 52 for the year.

All the exercise and (relatively) careful eating s paying off.

When I get a chance I'll respond properly to your long post. Lots of good points in it with which I agree.

In the last 3 years, I've had multiple age guesses of between 28 and 32. I'm 43 this year so was 40 when these kind of guesses seem to start.

I don't think my biological age is that young but I think it is dropping inline with my current lifestyle. If I had to guess though, I would say it isn't miles from my real age.

I learnt about this biological age probably in the last 12 > 18 months from a TV programme on it. Very interesting.

I know my metabolic age was higher than my real age previously but that was a while ago now and I've not measured it for a while.

If you spend time in the sun, that ages the skin, and consuming lots of antioxidants foods that mop up free radicals can help keep you young. Eating heathy food as opposed to lots of unbalanced fatty sugary foods over decades is common best practice.

The heart may have a limited 'mileage' and beat capacity, so if you exercise it regularly you'll bring down your average resting heart beat, so during normal non physical activity you will have less heart beats in a day than a less healthy person. So over the years, you will have consumed less of this maximum capacity.

There are genetics too, seen some people who smoke like chimneys until old age with almost no effect.

I don't spend a lot of time in the sun because I don't tan - so it is a waste of time. Although I do spend a small amount of time in the sun for Vitamin D so this may well have helped my "visual" age.

Dot Cotton is one example I can think of on the smoking. She's been smoking at least since the beginning of Eastenders and still does. Don't think she has been ill.

But you use a lot more beats to exercise! :D

LOL. I wrote that because I'M 53 and couldnt do that. I just assumed that you were a decade or two younger than me. Now you've made me feel inadequate.

I'm going outside to run up and down a hilly track for half an hour.

Re the testing heart rate bit in your other (very interesting) post I'm delighted that my average for the week is 48bpm for the first time. It's 49 for the month, 50 over three months and 52 for the year.

All the exercise and (relatively) careful eating s paying off.

When I get a chance I'll respond properly to your long post. Lots of good points in it with which I agree.

In order to make the stairs you need to pounce up 2, and occasionally 3 stairs at a time.
But my resting heart rate is no where near as low as yours. Mine's usually about 60, so you are well fit.
I have a problem with high blood pressure and consume Turmeric to help bring it down a little, and eat a ton of porridge to help soak up cholesterol

Update; three months on from my 10k I've been keeping the running going and have resumed cycling to work. iI do the latter once or twice a week. It's 9 miles each way and means 35-40 minutes of effort. It's not as intense as running but it does mean around 125bpm. I have been a bit lazy on the HIIT stuff and haven't been climbing so many stairs.

Because of the lack on intense exercise my average resting heart rate has gone up very slightly. But on the other hand my running has got a lot better. When I did the 10k I managed almost exactly 10 mins per mile. Yesterday I ran 5 miles at 9.02 per mile.

Very happy about that. I haven't been running at that pace for 10 years.

For some reason my heart rate has been dropping steadily again this week. Today Fitbit tells me it's a record 45 BPM following two days at 46. Weekly average back down to 48, 3 months is 49 12 months is 51. For some reason it climbed a bit in April. I did have a gum infection - maybe it was my body fighting that.

I know that the Fitbit HR monitor is not that accurate but I'm keen to see a flat or downward trend and not an upward one!

Anyway, back on track this week.

I'll be interested to see if I can get below 9 mins/mile on my weekly 5 mile run tomorrow morning.

I've been meaning to respond for a while @Londonscottish. Interesting seeing how HR goes over time. I found as I got older that it drops off a beat or two a year and now rarely gets excited and still lives at rest in the 40s.

I can't get into Fitbits and in truth know pretty much what my HR is at all times - within a few beats or so.

Good luck with your run tomorrow. I am in St Ives and have been walking backwards up hills. Great for quads obviously but also allows you to see the view behind rather then just the hill in front of you. :)

I've been meaning to respond for a while @Londonscottish. Interesting seeing how HR goes over time. I found as I got older that it drops off a beat or two a year and now rarely gets excited and still lives at rest in the 40s.

I can't get into Fitbits and in truth know pretty much what my HR is at all times - within a few beats or so.

Good luck with your run tomorrow. I am in St Ives and have been walking backwards up hills. Great for quads obviously but also allows you to see the view behind rather then just the hill in front of you. :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom