How many miles can I reasonably expect from a C200 W205 petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 2016 C200se estate is on 176,000 miles. My tip, would be to drive in economy mode and coast down hills on the motorway at 70mph and 700rpm with the 7 speed automatic in D(as opposed to D1-D7). D means the gear box isn't driving the wheels. Keep the start stop off. Its ex lease (roadchef company car) and I bought it at 154k in October 2019.
D?
Do you mean N?
Anyway, I’m not sure coasting actually helps anything. What’s your reasoning for doing this?
My old E-class had 475,000 on it before I sold it and that never coasted anywhere. Different engine etc but still, you canna change the laws of physics!

Hi guys, I know there is really no precise answer to this question but what sort of mileage life span can someone typically expect to get from a W205 C200 petrol? I only bought it a year ago with 45k miles at the time but have already racked up another 25k miles this past year to take it up to 70k. Do these engines commonly last over 200k miles or is that wishful thinking for a petrol? Thanks a lot for any advice!! ☺️☺️
Mine is a 2Ltr. On a run within 60Mph limits I have seen as much as 44.8Mpg. Normally it is about 40Mpg or just under. However since I have been using E10 it has dropped to 36/37Mpg. Hope that answers your question. :)

D?
Do you mean N?
Anyway, I’m not sure coasting actually helps anything. What’s your reasoning for doing this?
My old E-class had 475,000 on it before I sold it and that never coasted anywhere. Different engine etc but still, you canna change the laws of physics!
with the electronic stalk, it says D in the display when it engages glide mode. probably the same as N, but it says D.

Mine is a 2Ltr. On a run within 60Mph limits I have seen as much as 44.8Mpg. Normally it is about 40Mpg or just under. However since I have been using E10 it has dropped to 36/37Mpg. Hope that answers your question. :)
I had a 2 litre and at 60mph through road works I got around 48mpg. At 70mph on long journeys it was around 44mpg+ but around town it was relatively thirsty at about 24mpg and that's having a light foot.

I didn't have the opportunity to try E10 in my C200, but the mpg figures you mention for it seems lower than I'd expected.

My current C300 does about 44mpg at 70mph on E10, so possibly with E5 it might be within touching distance of 50mpg, though that sounds unrealistic - maybe the drop in mpg for E10 isn't as great for the C300.

So your W205 is the facelift model (2018 - ), and has the M264 EQ engine (mild hybrid). If the car covered 50,000 miles in under 4 years, then (unless it was a taxi) it must have been motorway miles. So good news.
That's only 12,500 miles pa. We consistently manage quite a bit more than that in our local commute car that almost never goes near a motorway.

That's only 12,500 miles pa. We consistently manage quite a bit more than that in our local commute car that almost never goes near a motorway.

Apologies. I live in London. My office is 6 miles from my home, and the car journey takes 45 minutes at midday (longer during rush hour). So I have a skwed perspective.... :D

As suggested as long as you maintain it well and repair stuff promptly then it will run for ever. But that’s expensive and most people don’t do it as it becomes harder for them to justify as the car depreciates.
Daughters fella drives an Audi A4 sport. Recently he was saying as it's not worth so much it 'aint worth spending much on.

The car suits him, he likes it. While my personal choice is estate rather than sporty hatch I can see it is a nice car.

I suggested it 'aint the resale value of the car that counts. If he replaces it, for an unknown mo mo, he will spend many £,000's for something that won't serve any better.
The car is worth more to him than its resale value. If he were to spend a couple of £grand it would still be a better option than a replacement.

I made that mistake years ago when swapping out a high mileage Vito. I couldn't justify spending on an auto box refurb. I should have.
I spent oodles on it's Viano replacement, after 11k miles of nice running I spent 12 months and oodles on attempting to sort engine / ECU issues.

I suggested it 'aint the resale value of the car that counts. If he replaces it, for an unknown mo mo, he will spend many £,000's for something that won't serve any better.
The car is worth more to him than its resale value. If he were to spend a couple of £grand it would still be a better option than a replacement.

Exactly that.

Older cars you've owned for some time are a 'known quantity' ... something else of equivalent monetary value (or more) will always be a risk. We spent more on an auto box rebuild for our old Audi A4 estate than it was technically worth, but we knew it was a fundamentally sound and sorted car. We had it as a reliable daily driver for a good few years after that (before trading it in against an S203 ;) :D).

Yep....my 2009 ALFA has 170,000 miles and completely fault free...(Ex mechanic).....but of course worth nothing to anyone except me. WBAC said £457....and that's before they pick it to bits and offer less!!! LOL! I know when I get my next Merc there will be faults I have to iron out no matter how good or bad the history is!....as there was with my wife's FMBSH low mileage A Class. The SLK she chopped in for it had no issues either....and that was a 1999! But as serial car swapper I know you cant fight it when you get that urge to change!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom