How many of you have upgraded your ICE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobby

Car
1999 C43 AMG
Just considering my next mod, and wondered how many members here have updated their ICE?

I'm getting tired of tinny bass!

I've heard the way to do it would be to update new speakers, amp, sub etc.

If you have done it, has it transformed the car for you?

Getting rid of the Audio 10 in my W202 was the best thing ive ever done for my ears :D. Replaced it with an Alpine unit and it made a massive difference immediately.

Then getting rid of the stock Mercedes speakers....another improvement.

Last edited:
I upgraded mine from nothing it was a huge improvment :D

I do like my ICE I have a couple of 12" JL W3's, Vibe Mono Block, PG Amp and a couple of sets of Rockford components but have never got round to installing it all :eek:

Yes indeed - But i've opted to stay with the audio 10 for o/e appearance and anti-theft potential. There is little wrong with the units themselves and are made by Becker (in my case).
i've fitted Vibe SE-K 60 components in the front and VIbe Slick60's in the rear - with a good deal of difference for the better.

Next steps (time/money allowing) are a Vibe A3/A4 amp and an Alpine KC-430a (a-d) converter to sit on the D2B cd changer input to allow me to feed my Garmin sat nav/MP3 player (16GB :eek: ) through the car speakers:crazy:
Oh - and a switched supply from the cigarette lighter to wire in the in-car charger

rob

my 124 has a new cd system in it and speakers. it was in there when i got it - if it wasnt there, then i probably would of upgraded.

I also upgraded to COMAND in my CLK.

My W202 has a Alpine 9855R Stereo with the KC420i ipod adapter kit, pioneer factory upgrades all round and a Vibe CBR10 in the boot. Fills things out nicely and is louuuuuuuuuud.

I've upgraded my head unit to a Pioneer MP3 player, with bluetooth, IPod connection etc, and also have a Magnat amp running a 12" JBL sub. I found this was enough, my head unit has built in crossovers so I have been able to cut the sub-bass from the standard speakers, allowing them to go nice and loud without distorting. Overall, I'm more than happy with the sound now, it hasn't cost the earth, plus it can be returned to standard when I sell the car. :)

bobby, next time im in london with mine i`ll give you shout and you can listen for yourself.

headunit and speakers are all very tired in the standard cars, defo worth an upgrade.

Currently shoehorned into the SL is:

Pioneer P88RS2 + iPod adaptor
Rainbow 3-way component set in the doors.
Rear seat removed, replaced with a build containing a pair of Rainbow Vanadium 8's and an Alpine PDX 4.150 amp.

I've upgraded mine, it was the 1st thing i did really, what can i say i'm a sucker for sound! :rock:
I put a dvd head unit in with componant speakers in the front, still all in the original places and covered with the original speaker grills. Well worth the effort just on the mooch now for a decent sub and amp.

I already had the bose option so i retrofitted Comand rather than fit a aftermarket head unit and lose functionality

I already had the bose option so i retrofitted Comand rather than fit a aftermarket head unit and lose functionality

I hear you.

But to install COMAND I need to take it to Holland and pay over £1000, for an old style-unit.

Honestly bobby it's well worth upgrading, I'm just about to do it in my new car. It doesn't matter what music you like, it's the clarity that counts.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to use crossovers. They split the sound so that only the bass frequencies go to the bass speakers, mid freq. to mid speakers etc etc...

It's great because if you do it like that, you don't need a massive amp or even need to spend too much on speakers although, like anything, get the best you can afford!

It's so worth it though, you'll enjoy it every time you turn it on!

A friend has the following system:

morel front speakers

Amp

Bass tube

Barrett Bluetooth Handsfree kit

Any views on these products?

I recently put in a Blaupunkt Active Bass box under the passenger seat, was a doddle to fit (once Id run a the power/earth through the bulkhead ) and it adds just the right amount of bass without being noticeable outside the car. It was only £100 off Ebay and Ive been pleased with it.

Cheers

Ive fit a slightly raggo system to mine, Alpine headunit with full iPod control (wired into the glove box), 500watt JENSON amp and twin subs (ex nightclub speakers :D ):

c240ipod4.jpg

c240ipod5.jpg

c240ipod6.jpg

Rear view mirror-rattling Bass :D :D :D (Barry in a Merc)

Luckily my 230ce was already fitted with an electric aerial - you can`t get better than that.

Sorted!

We have COMAND and BOSE in the C-Class so that's been left well alone.

In the ML I was dissappointed with the sound quality and expected to have to upgrade the speakers. Fitted a Becker Mexico and it transformed the sound. Probably not enough for audiophiles, but for me it was enough to change my mind about the speakers - and left them stock.

Sorry for hi-jacking, but...

...I have an Alpine 3522s amp and two Alpine 8-inch reference speakers if someone fancies reliving me of them? They're a few years old but top quality and only actually used for about 18 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom