How many V8 engined cars have you owned and what's your favourite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 530 is meant to be a nicer steer with the rack and pinion steering instead the recirculating ball in the V8. A manual 540i is a rare motor!

Yes agreed as the alpina B10 V8 had the recir ball steering also.

There were a few 6 speed manuals knocking about but as you say very rare.

Just the one, Mrs Wembley. I've wanted a V8 since I was about 14. On the way to school was this Camaro. Sounded sweet when he started it up. When I started driving, I used to see, and hear, this black SD1 with a big bore exhaust. At work, a guy pulled up in a Dodge Charger. He'd fitted a 7.3 lump. When he started that up and drove off, it was music to my ears. Sounded like the Fast and Furious charger.

I was in my early 20's at the time, has a 3.1 Carpi (Holley carb, offenhauser manifold etc etc) but also a Rover P5 Coupe - poor man's Rolls Royce as it was known at the time. Capri for those famous tear up along the north circular and M4, the Rover for transporting the ladies!

Wasn't the 3.1 capri a V6?

Wasn't the 3.1 capri a V6?

Yes, but the Rover a 3.5 V8, I had both a V6 and V8 aged 22.

I now own another V6 (SLK 350) but also 2 flat 6's, modified 1986 911 Carrera 3.2 taken to 3.4 with lots of other bits), 987 Boxster S, each of which provides its own distinct driving experience.

My daughter said that it was a toss up between "Brenda from Bristol" aka "You're joking, not another bloody one" and Britney Spears "Whoops, I did it again," when I bought my 6th MB V8 this year.

I just said, "Oh, Baby, what was I supposed to do? One owner, 37k, full MB history, immaculate and fold down seats for my bike !" (With apologies to Britney Spears."

6BD87FFADDEE4A24B96438EF6B3A02AF.jpeg

Sadly no V8s, but a number of V6 - Reliant Scimitar GTE, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo and a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Merc 320 V6 deisel. One day perhaps

just the 2 - this one and that..... Ford Econoline dayvan, 5LV8 -first V8, first LHD, first automatic - it was an experience and somehow I managed to keep the gpm from my wife....she may have had an inkling. Had it about 2001 for 3 months then swapped for much more practical (?!) Merc200T estate and Volvo 740 est simultaneously... for some reason...
and now, second and last so far, a 14 year old ML500 bought 2 weeks ago, with none in-between.
Favourite? - difficult to say - I'll let you know after the full health check of the ML500 tomorrow. Gotta admit the tech terrifies me, especially on a 14 year old motor, so many tiny wires to break and throw at spurious fails that *could* immobilise me and cost many many $$$$ to find n fix - it might all be in me head but.....I suspect the ML500 will be my favourite as long as it behaves ;)

IMG_20191211_191213 - Edited.jpg IMG_20191201_193229 - Edited.jpg

Made me laugh! I was always amused that they called them ‘Econoline’.
I know - I'd literally just taken redundancy with the intention of going to the bottom of the pile work-wise and somehow thought this was a good idea :D.
Pink dralon throughout, TV,curtains, queenbed, 2 tables and fairylights embedded in wood trim, again throughout - 70's lushness, magnet to none and definitely not babes ;) - certainly the most amazing vehicle I've owned.

Just the two : 420se and 500SEL ; but I've lost count of the number of straight sixes I've had , and a couple of straight fives .

I'd still like to own a V12 at some point .

Range Rover
MGB GTV8

Only two. The first, an 80s International 4x4 pick up truck with a 5.2 litre V8 producing all of about 120 bhp & (unusually for an American vehicle) a 4-speed manual 'box. Bought that from an American airforce base in Norfolk when I was 22 in the early 90s & ran it around for a bit. And the current, an '06 CLS500. You can keep your V10s & V12s, I personally think that the cross-plane V8 makes the best sound in the motoring world.

I've just bought my first - the closest I can get to a 2-stroke. Multiplicity of firing pulses and the simplest of cylinder heads a 4-stroke can have and not be side valve. 255hp, 330lb.ft (from idle) and pushrods. Cam chain tensioner - not needed. I could give a long list of what isn't there to go wrong but I'd bore myself and scare you.

I owned a BMW 540i Touring wagon with manual gearbox (same 6 speed box as the M5). Had it for over 10 years it was a great all rounder, comfortable for long trips, practical cargo space, decent grunt and V8 soundtrack (stainless backbox). I sold it at around 250k miles and I believe it's still on the road!

Thought I'd scratched the V8 itch with the BMW, but now have a CLK430

2, a CLS55 and now an E63. CLS had more character, the E63 is more of a perfect all-rounder. I’d have the 55 supercharged over the 63 bi turbo.

Just the one, a 2001 P38 Range Rover 4.6 V8, smooth as snakeschitt, thirsty as a scotsman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom