How many V8 engined cars have you owned and what's your favourite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Eleven far. Plymouth Satellite estate (1974 model, I think); Rover SD1; S210 E55; 2 x S211 E55Ks; R129 SL500; S211 E500; Jaguar XK; R230 SL500; SLK55; S212 E63; W163 ML500. My next one - quite soon - will be either a W164 ML500 (M113 engine) or ML420 diesel, or just possibly another S211 E500.

The rot really set in in 2013, when I bought the S210, my first Mercedes...

Favourite? Hard to say, really, but I think the N/A M113 is definitely my favourite engine.

STOP PRESS - Thirteen now - I have the ML420, and I've just acquired another S211 E500. When I find the right W164 ML500 (if I ever do), it will be fourteen...

Only ever owned one, a Rover P6 3500s, a great car at the time, perfect for Autobahn mile or should that be kilometre munching

My first experience of a V8 was a 380SEC when I was in my twenties. It was an incredibly precise delivery, though slightly underpowered as it always needed to shift down a gear and rev highly, though it moved well enough and better than the majority of cars on the motorway up to Scotland! I'll always recall outside of the Botanic Gardens, someone gave me the thumbs up - made my day!

The next was a 645Ci, which I bought when my straight six E30 325i blew a head gasket. It was a manual too, which is uncommon. That engine was prone to leaking - rocker cover gaskets particularly. I enjoyed the power delivery though which had a sense of urgency and revved freely. I imagine that the experience of a manual unlocked some excitement in the engine in comparison to the languid auto box. I took it around Europe and the Nurburgring, where it was a big old boat to throw around with the traction off. Never really gelled with it, however, as it just didn't have the sprightly BMW handling to which I had become accustomed.

Most recently I had to scratch the V8 itch once more and sourced and bought an S211 E500 to replace my stop gap 'beater' V70 2.4T. There's something about seeing the badge 'E500' which makes me smile every time. The M113 mated to the 7G box is perfect for all conditions. Gentle in town and relaxed on the motorway. It's brisk enough to keep up with most things on a long motorway run. I love how it's geared and how the change from sixth to seventh comes at 130mph under load!

M113 gets my vote. I'm curious to try an M113K and also the na 6.2L lump.

Only one. Its been an expensive ride so far with numerous repairs, but some were known issues, and others just age related wear and tear.
Always look but forward to driving it though, any excuse will do.

IMG_1419.JPG

A Ford Pilot. Flathead V8, Don`t remember much about it; and a `70s Oldsmobile Delta 88, Setting the ignition points on an 8 lobe cam was a pain. Had a 24 gallon fuel tank. And it needed it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom