How much are we enjoying our cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All in all the best car I ever owned even at the tender age of 11:D

Should you not wait 6 years before driving?? :p

Since the engine repairs my CLS had a while ago it's been a dream. Fast, smooth, comfy and (to me) so exotic looking! It's the only car since a Trans Am I owned many years ago that I've had so many admiring comments on, even at traffic lights. To be honest, now I'm in Russia using my Nissan, I'm missing it a lot.. :D

if it stays reliable (pray!) I'll love every moment of owning it.

Last edited:
I got a Z4 for the Mrs.

Nothing has made me happier.

Seriously though, why the bloody hell have I been mucking around in large sports saloons for the last 30 years when I could have had a perky little convertible?

I'm enjoying my E class do much that I've decided to sell it

I thought after the suspension mods you were going to keep it a while longer?

Should you not wait 6 years before driving?? :p

I did think about this when I wrote the post...:eek:

Only had my clk500 cab for 2 months and it is brilliant, especially in this weather
Had the srs light come on, but this was reset at dealers. Amazing to drive, so pleased with it, best car I have ever owned, c63 next!

I got a CLK320 1st. Sold that and had a stint in a BMW.

Then W124 estate i still have

then a silver W124 saloon (sold)

then a R107 (still have)

then a silver W124 estate (still have)

i also bought another W124 as a parts car to break too if that counts.

I now probably would veer towards the MB brand over another, but i still have a soft spot for BMW.

10 months in.

The engine is a peach, it's comfy and it rides like a dream. I almost love this car

BUT

Yet it has now spent more time in the garage than any other car I have ever owned.

It squeaks and it rattles and the dealer simply can't fix them. No sooner do they get rid of one rattle than another appears and then when you think you have nailed them all, the speedo fails which means dashboard out and the rattles return.

So I got it back on Friday after they had it for 2 weeks and it still has rattles. I only noticed the rattles because the stereo had decided to stop working on a trip to bristol and back. Command then went into a phase of endless reboots for 30 minutes and then started working fine again. This is the 3rd time it has done this!

So it's back in the shop again next week and the instructions are now clear.

The car comes back rattle free or I will be rejecting the car. I think 10 months failing to fix a build quality fault is enough.

If we reach that point then what the dealer does next will determine if the replacement will be another MB or something totally different

10 months in.

The engine is a peach, it's comfy and it rides like a dream. I almost love this car

BUT

Yet it has now spent more time in the garage than any other car I have ever owned.

It squeaks and it rattles and the dealer simply can't fix them. No sooner do they get rid of one rattle than another appears and then when you think you have nailed them all, the speedo fails which means dashboard out and the rattles return.

So I got it back on Friday after they had it for 2 weeks and it still has rattles. I only noticed the rattles because the stereo had decided to stop working on a trip to bristol and back. Command then went into a phase of endless reboots for 30 minutes and then started working fine again. This is the 3rd time it has done this!

So it's back in the shop again next week and the instructions are now clear.

The car comes back rattle free or I will be rejecting the car. I think 10 months failing to fix a build quality fault is enough.

If we reach that point then what the dealer does next will determine if the replacement will be another MB or something totally different

Utterly unsatisfactory & highly disappointing for you.
M-B historically have a reputation for being properly bolted together,.Obviously that one is not & if it were mine it
would be smartly discarded.
Was it a Robinson`s car by any chance ?

Splitpin

Was it a Robinson`s car by any chance ?

Splitpin

Nope. I did go to Robinsons to buy but the sales person clearly could not be bothered to call me after I have borrowed a car from them for the weekend on an extended test drive.

By the time she did eventually call me, I had actually taken delivery :dk:

One thing I don't do is chase sales people. If they can't be bothered, there are plenty of others out there who actually want my business

ive had mine since jan this year and on the odd moment i do just go out it it for a drive , cause i live in norfolk there are some nice back roads to drive on and a good view of the cost

It's a very valid question. We all own a Merc for some reason (or reasons), but like everything they aren't perfect, if they were then there would still be a forum to discuss things, but there would be far less to discuss if 'upgrades' and repairs were not needed. Mercs might not be quite as reliable as people might think (certainly the newer ones), but I rather think that forums for most other car makes (most particularly French ones) will have many more people with problems!

Personally I'm on my first Merc now, having had it 2 years, and I can't fault it. It's reliable, powerful, handles well, tows well, takes bad abuse, is comfortable - the list goes on. My family have had Mercs for years, as we found (and still do) that, even though they aren't perfect, they're still the best cars and vans money can buy.

I had a great long weekend in Stafford last week. The 211 wafted the family there and back in business class, as always.

Got back London on Sunday night and realised I'd left my laptop in the holiday cottage *sigh*.

Spoke to the boss on Monday and after exhausting all the work I could do on phone/Blackberry email I headed back to Suffolk at 3pm. 3 hours there, 30 mins for a pint of Adnams and 2 hours back.

And a big grin on my face.

9 months and 20k miles into a new and so far fault free (leased) C250cdi makes me 'satisfied' - enjoying is a different emotion I guess, but on balance yes. Enjoying the overall 'value' it brings to my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom