How much are we enjoying our cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottydee

Car
2015 W204 coupe, 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, 1984 Honda V65 Magna
I've not been on the forum that long - only bought my first MB in March. Had a few problems to begin with but hopefully (touching wood as I type) I can start to enjoy the experience.

My point is, that many people tend to come to these forums to ask advice on problems or faults, and as such, it sometimes gives the impression that a) MBs are not as reliable as most people would like to think
or
b) there are a lot of people who like a good moan!

I'm sure there are other forums following the same format.

So.......

What are the good points? how are we all enjoying our cars....:rock:

How right you are to ask this.

I have a 2000 yr clk 230 cab and as you can imagine in this weather it is the
most fantastic driving experience.

Notwithstanding that, I have owned this car and (touching wood) ! for nearly 2
years and despite serious damage last xmas from a very large pothole, not the cars fault of course, it has been very reliable.

Some minor rust issues to deal with shortly but overall this is an enjoyable ownership.

How about others views?

Good to see something positive for a change. I'm on my third MB now, because I love them.

My first was a E260 that I bought with over 100k on the clock. It served me very well for 3 years, including a long spell when my daily commute was 100 miles each way. During that time one of the rear windows would occasionally stick but that didn't bother me. The only real fault I had was losing a few gears on the way from London to Wales for a weekend break. I continued the journey with just 1st & 2nd, slower than intended but otherwise no problem.

My second was a 1999 CLK 230k bought at 2 years old with 60k. I eventually sold it earlier this year after 10 years of amazingly reliable motoring. In that time I had to replace a light switch and a ball joint. That's it. I had a couple of rust bubbles on the rear wings treated and painted last year so the car looked almost new again.

I'm now the very proud owner of a new C350 Sport saloon that I'm hoping will give me another 10 years of fantastic service.

I've had my SLK (my third MB of four in total) for the best part of 7 years now, and in that time the only issues I've had with it have been the air conditioning system, which became clogged with leaf mulch, and a couple of battery issues, mainly down to infrequent use and short journeys. Both are my fault rather than the car's, which has otherwise been a model of reliability. No rust (apart from on the wheel bolts, which I'll replace with better ones at some point), and while the roof trim tends to creak a little when cold, I rarely have it up for long enough to worry about it. In short, I'm a happy owner. :)

I'm on my second MB my W126, had a W202 before, and i absolutely love MB's. always love them as i grew up and when i was 18 in 2008 i had enough cash saved to buy one :).. every car has some issue or another (an older car anyway). mums on her second MB (a W211). she bought her first MB ( W203) shortly after i bought my first MB (the W202) and she wont drive anything else anymore. dad gets lumbered with his vectra haha....
I dont drive my W126 daily, as ive got something else to do that job... but as soon as i get in the W126 i realise how much i miss it during the week.

Seeing as I've only had Lois for a couple of weeks I guess I'm still in the honeymoon period, but really enjoying the W212.

Both previous E-Classes were great - one or two minor issues well sorted by the dealer - and over 200k miles with those.

The first Benz was a W202 C200 Saloon that I had for a about a year, and that never missed a beat. I was also surprised at how cheap some parts were - rear discs, and a replacement alloy after an incident with a tractor and curb.

Have had some nice runs over the Downs since the sun has been out - coupled with the start of the school holidays it's been a pleasure to be out and about in the car.

Contrary to popular belief, W163s are great. Only sold as I bought a W164 for the wife.

I enjoy mine, a whole lot :)

Both are actually SORNed at the moment, but i love even looking at them. And driving them, when they aren't SORNed, is an absolute joy, I love every minute of it.

Reliability-wise, I bought my old W126 SE sight unseen a few years ago from ebay for £405, and what a car its been. Solid as a rock, smooth as silk, never missed a beat. I've brought it up to scratch maintenance-wise, and it really gleams. Well worth it.

More recently I bought and SEC, which seems to be going the same way. Needed a new radiator after being stood for some time, but everything else worked, even the air con. Superb to drive too and what a bargain. Love it! :)

On my third Merc. Good cars . Are you same Scotty that used to be on the Audi TT forum a few years ago !

On my third Merc. Good cars . Are you same Scotty that used to be on the Audi TT forum a few years ago !

He is in a 2.0T A4 avant now I think.

I went form an S211 E320cdi estate that I adored into an S212 E350cdi estate that I am learning to love, it is just taking time.

I enjoy mine enough that after more than 18 months of ownership, I go out and drive it for no good reason.

Nuff said.

Mine drives better today than it did when I bought it three years ago.

A stunning machine that has more power and luxury than you need.

What's not to like ...

Happy owner here as well. :thumb:

But... I liked all my cars so far, each one had its own character, and most were typically kept for around 5 years or sometimes longer (our Toyota was bought new in 1998 and still going strong).

So either I am very proficient at picking good cars, or I am just happy with what I have....

I've had my 211 estate 3 years ( it was 4yrs old then and on 98k miles but lots of useful options) and cannot imagine being without it! It's my first Mercedes but I've owned Audi's and Lexus's in the past and this is the best (although not the most reliable regrettably). I usually have that twitch to change right about now but still love driving it the same as the day I bought it

Last week my aging E240 slug wafted up to NE Scotland with four adults and luggage.

Passengers complemented its refinement and ability to expedite comfortable progess compared with their 5 Series.

Previous week I'd had a brand new Volvo XC70 as a hire car. Got back to the slug and as always it felt better and smoother.

Downside is fuel consumption. But it is what it is. And not as bad as it could be in real world conditions. I've had family hatchbacks with automatic shifts that haven't been any better.

Maintenance? Well it let me down once in 6.5 years. Front spring collapse. It's needed a front ball joint and the exhaust brackets are cr*p and needed welding. It's needed discs and pads. But compared with colleagues' cars? Actual costs haven't been bad - particularly the discs. Five MOTs passed with no advisories other than a tyre down to 4mm.

I only planned to keep it until its fifth birthday. It's now just under 7.5 years old. The interior is holding up very well (part leather part fabric). It still feels good on the move. It's like silk around town.

i love my v6 cls 320cdi i think my gf is jealous after the gearbox oil change I have planned and the tune from angel I think I will be in heaven.

Ive had my 2001 E320 CDI for three years now and every time I drive her she suprises me with her personality. :eek: She is quick when I want her to be, she is comfortable all the time, she forgives me if I ill treat her, she scrubs up well, strutts her stuff with her new wheels on, I buy her the occassional drink of diesel which she sips at on long journeys and she carries the beers home from Tesco...:thumb:
All in all the best car I ever owned even at the tender age of 11:D

My first day's holiday in months, today.

Plan - big fat lie in, and then sit around doing as little as possible all day.

Reality - looked out the bedroom window earlier, saw the car and went for a drive to nowhere in particular, for no reason other than having a drive in my lovely MB.

Home having a coffee, trying to think where to go now that might actually serve some purpose.

Still enjoying it nearly a year into ownership? Oh yes, indeedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom