How much can you drink?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6183
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

I was surprised to hear someone comment on a recent thread that they were mostly through their second bottle of wine.

I'd be wasted if I had drunk that much and I always thought that I had built up quite a resistance to alcohol.

It got me thinking, I've never been drunk on spirits. In fact I don't think that I've ever drunk more than 2 in a row.

I can no longer drink more than about 7 or 8 pints even over a whole day out. Late nights just kill me.

What about you?

When I go home to Malta, it seems I can drink the local brew (Cisk) all day with no ill effects, back home its more like 3 pints and thats it.

The UK is WEIRD with its drinking culture. People go out to get drunk and they don't care what they consume to get there, and they'll preload to do it.

I like a drink but I like WHAT I drink, I'm not interested in drinking cheap crap just because it's alcoholic.

If Im out on a rare night with my posse I can quite easily knock back 7-10 pints of medium strength lager with no problems the next day.

I too was surprised at the comments re the second bottle of wine.

easily a whole box of beers but mixed with wine at anytime, i'm out instantly

I would consider 10 pints of beer to be just as much as 1 to 2 bottles of wine

I can drink wine over an evening far easier than beer. I guess it's each to their own.10 pints would kill me! I know some spirits affect me more than others

It's a complex personal thing. The important thing is to enjoy, and stop when you don't

The UK is WEIRD with its drinking culture. People go out to get drunk and they don't care what they consume to get there, and they'll preload to do it.

I like a drink but I like WHAT I drink, I'm not interested in drinking cheap crap just because it's alcoholic.
It’s embarrasing if you ask me.

I had my moments when a lot younger with 10 pints+ nights but those are long gone. I couldn't bear hangovers again anyway.
A couple of pints of premium lager keeps me happy enough now. Quality, not quantity.
Only 2 beers since Christmas, I may as well be teetotal.

It's a training thing. The more you drink, the more you can cope with it.

As a Distribution Manager for an IT company near the Airport "back in the 80's" I had the pleasure of employing a guy who could drink 12 pints of bitter in an evening, without getting anything more than "cheery." He had learned his trade as a Drayman delivering beer for Fullers. He died before he was 50, of course.

Running logistics for a big packaging (can) supplier back in the '80's, it was normal for my colleagues to polish off four pints with a client at lunch, and drive 150 miles back to London, for drinks after work. And to this day, plenty of golfers will tee off at 8am and polish off more than a bottle of wine over lunch, before driving home

It kills you. If the cancers caused by the alcohol don't damage your organs, the empty calories will block up your arteries.

On the other hand, “No pleasure is worth giving up for the sake of two more years sitting in your own pee in a geriatric home in Weston-super-Mare"

Last edited:

Agree 100%

I can easily drink 2-3 bottles of red wine in an evening with no ill effects the following day. Not so much when on white, tends to give me heartburn...
Beer, 5-6 pints of 5% is comfortable in an evening
Spirits, 1 or 2 glasses only.
An evening out to dinner would usually be a couple of Negroni pre-dinner, then a bottle of wine, maybe a port to finish. Then a couple of glasses of Grappa as a digestive.

I will not drink at all if I would have to drive the following day

As a Distribution Manager for an IT company near the Airport "back in the 80's" I had the pleasure of employing a guy who could drink 12 pints of bitter in an evening, without getting anything more than "cheery." He had learned his trade as a Drayman delivering beer for Fullers. He died before he was 50, of course.

I worked with a contracts manager years ago who would deal mainly with the Russian markets. He could easily down a bottle of vodka during a meeting and not show any signs of intoxication. Won some great contracts!!

All I have now is a couple of cans of Fosters per night. If I go to the pub to watch football or rugby then 3 pints is my limit and I’ve never done the binge drinking thing.

The hard drinking & smoking days in Skiathos have long gone.

I’m weighing in at a touch under 15 stone and at 5’11” I haven’t got an ounce of fat anywhere and it’s the heaviest I’ve ever been. Nowadays it’s the gym 4 times a week and a 40 mile bike ride doesn’t make me sweat. I still snow ski and water ski.

I feel subconsciously that the damage is done but so far so good and I’ve never felt better.
I’m 51 next month.

Last edited:
Three or four pints during an evening is comfortable, maybe six pints at a push and if it's good beer. I just run out of room and interest after that.

I've limited myself to two pints of London Pride per workday eve but on Fridays and weekends I let myself free and can consume up to 6 pints with roast without major consequences in the morning.

I'm off down the pub shortly to meet the Mrs as she has taken one of her rare trips into the office, I'll have a pint with the boys in the rough **** pub and go and meet her in the poncy place with the fresh flowers over the road.

I'll feel guilt free after reading some of these responses. :D

There are some important factors to consider when working out your capacity. The most important being.
Who is paying for it!:D

John is, of course, an avowed teetotaller, he totally refuses to drink tea when alcohol is available.:D:D:D:D:D:D

I
I'll feel guilt free after reading some of these responses. :D

Glad to be of assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom