how much can you....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonnygearbox

Car
C63 AMG Edition 125
How much cash can you travel legally with to purchase a car?

I've been looking at a non mercedes car to buy and was wondering could I take the 27000 in cash to purchase the car or would I need to get bankers draft etc etc

Yes...just tell us when and where...for protection you understand.

It's your money...but careful.

Just beware some dealers are now reluctant to take cash.

I've paid on a debit card before now with no hassle.

If your bank is anything like mine they will give you the third degree about what the money is for.

Other than that, money laundering regulations mean that traders aren't supposed to accept cash sums of £8,000ish or more.

Above a certain limit, the transaction has to be reported to the fsa who will investigate it for money laundering purposes. I think its actually a lot higher than £8k these days, either way, £27k will definitely trigger it.

When you say travel, do you mean to another country? I'd be very cautious about going through customs with that sort of cash.

You can carry as much as you like,Cash is still legal tender in this country.But expect to be able to verify its legitimacy if asked.
Faster payment,building society chq much better nowadays.

From northern ireland to uk mainland. What would be the best way to purchase a car privately for 27k

From northern ireland to uk mainland. What would be the best way to purchase a car privately for 27k

I did £8.5k cash from Mainland GB, to NI, then back to a different part of GB (daft work schedule) to buy a car.

As I'd got pulled up by my deodorant in my overnight bag, they searched the bag and found the cash. Special Branch were called over. Had a quick chat and was congratulated on my choice of car.

I did £8.5k cash from Mainland GB, to NI, then back to a different part of GB (daft work schedule) to buy a car.

As I'd got pulled up by my deodorant in my overnight bag, they searched the bag and found the cash. Special Branch were called over. Had a quick chat and was congratulated on my choice of car.
my late father must of been lucky then, he sold his yacht in spain for 80000 euros and travelled back with the money on his person in cash ?

my late father must of been lucky then, he sold his yacht in spain for 80000 euros and travelled back with the money on his person in cash ?

I made myself unlucky by not sorting my bag out properly. I don't think I would have been stopped otherwise.

I'd want to go to view the car and my bank only operates in northern ireland and I don't have internet or mobile banking.

What bank only operates in NI and can't facilitate a payment outside? None.

Put the money in your account, then, on the day, take the seller to his bank and use your debit card to make the payment. Simples.

A few years ago we did 30k for my dads 7 series lol.

Personally I wouldn't.

If the trader is insisting on cash i would give the deal some serious thought. With regards to transactions between NI and GB it does not make any difference at all. Do the sensible thing and pay by bank transfer, it makes sense on too many levels not to.

Any NI bank is part of the UK clearing system and can make payments anywhere within the UK.

Carrying large amounts of cash around is asking for trouble. Renault12ts has a good idea for dealing with it. If the seller wishes to keep out of banks, I'd think twice about buying.

Also, if they 'know' you are likely to be taking that much cash over, I can't help thinking you are somewhat a sitting duck.

Unless of course you are picking up a sawn-off shotgun, some nunchucks, 4 heavies, a BMW 540i Protection, a chainsaw and a machete once you are in the UK and you can defend yourself like Jason Statham in the movies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom