How much did you pay? Secret? Or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll create a 5th category - I bought a sub £500 car this week... actually it only has one fault, and that should be a simple fix. The reason I bought it was two fold: 1 - i needed to have some wheels sharpish. 2 - I'm skint as hell and the cheaper the better!

mm, seems we fall into three distinct classes.

Tightwads like me who paid £2k or less.

Well thats me, never paid more than £1600 for a car, and when I did it was a Vectra which I hated then sold for £1800 and got a Renault 19 as part ex which I then drove (thrashed and abused) for 3 months before giving it to my brother in law who had it stolen.

I am happy to tell people how little I paid for my car or any other item. To me it isn't how much you spend but how much you can save on that purchase to put towards another.

Paid for my C180k Sport £12k- May 2008+ Comand/iPod fitted by Alfie£ 1350.Paid for my wife's B class £12500 in august 2009( sold in march 2010 for £ 12000). Bought another C180k for £9000. Paid £19000 in feb 2010 for my E280 Sport and sold for the same money as I've had some problems with the ECU after 3 weeks.

For my business:

Paid £18000 for my VW Van in february 2009, sold in december 2009 for £15000.
Paid £26k for my Vito Sport( will sell it this week for £19000)
Paid £33000 for 4 Vitos 120cdi in september 2009.
Paid £85000(after discount) for 6 brand new Vitos Long 120cdi in january 2010 for my business.

So far, I've managed to stay away from finance and I'm happy.

Revenue man ? I say Bye Bye to him :).

i find that people who really get offended by questions about money, are people who gets offended anyway

There are other reasons why I find it quite irritating when people refer to a car (or whatever) by its value, chiefly that it tells you nothing of any interest about the car itself. The press will often refer to someone having, say, "a £15,000 car", which could be anything from a new Focus to an elderly Rolls-Royce, and in many cases the stated value will be questionable anyway. As stated, it's irksome because it completely ignores what the item in question actually is. Same goes for people who define their house by the number of bedrooms it has.

It's funny how the press refer to a cars value in the way they do someone's age e.g. (35), they'll say something like "his £40k Jaguar with complete with private plates", when in reality it could be a 15 year old Jag worth about £1k, it may well have been £40k at one point but it may not be what the person they're refering to paid.

Secondly - as you mentioned number of bedrooms - that's also a particularly British thing, it's the first question some people ask about a house. Houses are quite often described in Europe and America by floor space. Interestingly in America houses in addition to their square footage often have 5 bed 3 1/2 bath as a description. IIRC a 1/2 bath is typically an en-suite shower room!

It's funny how the press refer to a cars value in the way they do someone's age e.g. (35), they'll say something like "his £40k Jaguar with complete with private plates", when in reality it could be a 15 year old Jag worth about £1k, it may well have been £40k at one point but it may not be what the person they're refering to paid.

Secondly - as you mentioned number of bedrooms - that's also a particularly British thing, it's the first question some people ask about a house. Houses are quite often described in Europe and America by floor space. Interestingly in America houses in addition to their square footage often have 5 bed 3 1/2 bath as a description. IIRC a 1/2 bath is typically an en-suite shower room!

Another true fact that UK is a BRAND country!

i find that people who really get offended by questions about money, are people who gets offended anyway

The only way a person can get offended is if someone is offensive to them.

Contrary to your statement, I find that the questioner who asks how much I paid gets offended when I say "mind your own business".

''Why do adults always ask number questions?'' asked The Little Prince.

The only way a person can get offended is if someone is offensive to them.

Contrary to your statement, I find that the questioner who asks how much I paid gets offended when I say "mind your own business".

a, you coudlnt offend me if you tried

b, we are talking about people asking question about the price of your car, not asking to hav a look at yer wifes ****! normally, the question (about cars value) is asked to make conversation, or just because they are interested. Whats the big deal? it would be easy enough to find what its worth anyway, and an arsy answer like that would just make you look like a knob

a, you coudlnt offend me if you tried

b, we are talking about people asking question about the price of your car, not asking to hav a look at yer wifes ****! normally, the question (about cars value) is asked to make conversation, or just because they are interested. Whats the big deal? it would be easy enough to find what its worth anyway, and an arsy answer like that would just make you look like a knob

Well done. A good try at being offensive but I will treat your post with the contempt it deserves.

Interesting read. The thing I find, I am one who will also ask how much, we look at a car maybe a 53 plate E320 CDi well looked after and from the ouside looks the business. What of course you don't see is the 250000 miles on the clock or a very similar 51 plate with 25000 miles on the clock. So normally when given the answer, oh I paid X,000 for it, I normally look at the car as is and not investigate further, how many miles, how many owners etc etc, that I think is rude. By the way, my S Class is a 1999 W220 but when bought is 2007 only had 39000 on the clock, bought from a MB main dealer so came with a full 12 months warranty, £11000. It has still only got 76000 miles on the clock so is just about run in:D:D

Agreed that when buying a property, knowing the number of bedrooms is of little use without also knowing the floor area. It's amazing how long it took UK estate agents to get into the habit of including a decent floor plan with house particulars.

However, as with the car price thing, my real gripe with people who spout the number of bedrooms their house has in conversation is simply that it's one the least interesting things about a property. Tell me about its history, about who used to live there, or who built it, or about its architecture. Anything but the number of bedrooms/bathrooms (or how much you paid for it)... My brain can only cope with so much banality. :wallbash:

Agreed that when buying a property, knowing the number of bedrooms is of little use without also knowing the floor area. It's amazing how long it took UK estate agents to get into the habit of including a decent floor plan with house particulars.

Many estate agents still don't do this, but I gess that's another story!

I like the floor plans to get a feel for the layout / flow of a property (sounds a bit feng shui'ish :eek: )

*** Chilling Pills * For sale !

Dear GOD ! What the hell ! Are you gents or some thugs ? C'mon ! Damn! I will never understand why all this hate and envy around the forum. What for !? Money is not EVERYTHING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom