How much discount on a £14k car??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mb320cdi

Car
Mercedes Benz GL350 sport
Hi,

How much discount would you expect to get off a £14k used car from an independant dealer?

I will give more details after I get some feed back from you's.

Ok it was a BMW 535d m sport touring.

I think it depends how much they have in the car and how much they need to flog it.

Start low as you can!

The first generation 535dA is relatively thirsty, which I guess it is at that price, so I am not sure it is top of the pile for desirability albeit an estate.

510nm of torque and 272BHP is good fun though...

Also depend on options / colour / trim

I would think without any p/x I would want aroung £1k assuming normal colour etc

I live in N.I and the car is in Scotland, so I explained I would not be needing the normal 3-6 month warranty that is usually given for peace of mind, also there was a scrap on the back bumper that he was going to repair but I said no my body shop man that I know very well would repair it, after 3 days of horse dealing, I offered £12k, he never moved, then I gave my last offer this morning of £13k collecting it from his forecourt, he came back and said he will give £200 discount, I thought that was very very poor.

Its a Feb 2007, just before the facelift or LCI as its properly known as, 90k miles.

Its a sought after car and a good one at that if it is one of the really good examples then i would expect £500 - £1000 off at best. How long has he had it as these are very easy motors to move on so if he has had it a while alarm bells would be ringing

He has only got it a week, but considering a straight sale with no comeback and I was going to do the bumper repair, like £200 was very unreasonable.

He has only got it a week
That's why he's not prepared to knock much off. And as JohnEBoy said, it also depends what he paid for it. If his forecourt is overflowing then he'll be in a hurry to shift it and so take a bigger hit, if not then he'll take the chance and hang on for a better offer, including one from you.

He has only got it a week, but considering a straight sale with no comeback and I was going to do the bumper repair, like £200 was very unreasonable.

There are three types of car dealers in the world;

Type one: Prices his cars slightly below the rest of the market, for a quick turnover. You'll always struggle to get anything knocked off his cars.

Type two: Prices bang in line with the rest of the market, maybe just a touch more. These will have more scope for negotiation; longer warranty, new tyres etc. In general, these tend to be the better dealers to 'deal' with.

Type three: These price their vehicles ridiculously high, a car that is usually a £10k motor will be £14k here on the chance that some mug will walk in off the street and impulse buy. More likely to have finance deals rammed down your throat here (buy this car for just £15 a day etc). If you have any remedial problems, getting them fixed is like getting blood out of a stone.

I'm not naive but on my last purchase this month I didn't haggle, I asked it had tax bd was well prepped and complete. The price the dealer was asking was extremely reasonable in fact IMHO too low and there was no need to haggle.
Calculate the fairness of the price against the perceived dealer quality and make a call.

I live in N.I and the car is in Scotland, so I explained I would not be needing the normal 3-6 month warranty that is usually given for peace of mind, also there was a scrap on the back bumper that he was going to repair but I said no my body shop man that I know very well would repair it, after 3 days of horse dealing, I offered £12k, he never moved, then I gave my last offer this morning of £13k collecting it from his forecourt, he came back and said he will give £200 discount, I thought that was very very poor.
I buy most of my cars from across the water, I manage to get on average £1200 off the price from a dealer due to the things you have said, there is more of a choice over there so stick to you guns, if not look else where, my final offer is "look I am taking the car away, you are not going to see me or the car again so do we have a deal"

Alan

IMHO 'discount' is utterly irrelevant, it's the overall deal that is important.

If he'd priced the car at £12k or £13k someone would still expect to get a discount. If he'd priced it at £15k and offered £1k off would it seem like a better deal?

Bearing in mind, I'm not saying whether this particular example is good/bad value - I know little about BMWs and their respective prices.

So if it's a fair price, nice example/colour/spec or whatever then buy it. If there's a better car out there for the same money (or less), buy that instead - easy! :)

I agree. For me it's "cost to change" that counts. Both with my CLS and new Auris I had in mind what I was prepared to pay in cash for the cars and didn't care how the dealers structured the deals as long as I only paid what I wanted to pay!

The CLS was the hardest deal to achieve but it's amazing how quickly a dealer can reach an agreeable deal if they believe you WILL walk away. (In some ways I wish I had, but that's another story...)

If he'd priced the car at £12k or £13k someone would still expect to get a discount. If he'd priced it at £15k and offered £1k off would it seem like a better deal?

Bearing in mind, I'm not saying whether this particular example is good/bad value - I know little about BMWs and their respective prices.

So if it's a fair price, nice example/colour/spec or whatever then buy it. If there's a better car out there for the same money (or less), buy that instead - easy! :)

Will, as always, is spot on. I agree with the OP, though, that the work needed and lack of guarantee warrants a better discount than is being offered.

Exactly this,... at this precise time we are struggling to get hold of decent stock, prices are through the roof as export market is growing stronger... the exporters dont care what they pay for premium used cars, they just want them over in Greece, Cyprus, Africa...
So if anyone offers me anything less than a couple of hundred within the screen price its a firm no.
Not only are our margins tight, we cannot get hold of new stock easily - or more that we are having to do a lot more work to get the cars.

The trade book price for the car is in around £10k even if its costing him £11k, I offered him £13k to drive it away with no comeback, leaving him approx £2k clear profit, I think its pure greed and very unreasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom