How much do councils pay their staff? And some amusing answers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Something I found out of order was council employees who work for my local council have an allotted amount of sick days they must take every year. If they don’t take them it affects the amount they can take the following year. Couple this with flexi time working. If an employee starts work 30mins earlier per day just because it is convenient for them. This time accrues to give extra days off.
It’s no wonder they don’t have the backing of the general public when we hear their jobs are at risk!

No wonder they are being so cagey about it....

Something I found out of order was council employees who work for my local council have an allotted amount of sick days they must take every year. If they don’t take them it affects the amount they can take the following year.

Do you know this to be a fact? It sounds rather unlikely to me. In fact, it could almost be a humorous play on the old saw that public sector budgets have to be spent by the end of March each year, lest they are cut for the following year.

I was told by a former work colleague who now works for the council
He had no reason to lie or romance about the practice

It doesn't compute in my mind how any employee of any council can earn more than that Prime Minister of the country.

There are hundreds in this category.

There are two parts to this discussion... one is obviously actual staff pay, but the second is the very interesting range of answers... e.g. the public won't understand the data... it's too expensive to collect and publish it.... worried about staff safety if the figures were known... data protection act... and intellectual property laws ('ve could tell you, but zen ve vill have to extradite you to ze Americans'). Bonkers.

It doesn't compute in my mind how any employee of any council can earn more than that Prime Minister of the country.

There are hundreds in this category.

Agree but I would think most prime ministers in the last 40years have made millions in back handers share dealing selling off our industries cheap mortgages huge expenses and then once all that's done there's the book.

I think any company that employs more than 50 people has more chances of corruption waste and some bad managemt especially the state but nothing compared to the banks.

Something I found out of order was council employees who work for my local council have an allotted amount of sick days they must take every year. If they don’t take them it affects the amount they can take the following year. Couple this with flexi time working. If an employee starts work 30mins earlier per day just because it is convenient for them. This time accrues to give extra days off.
It’s no wonder they don’t have the backing of the general public when we hear their jobs are at risk!

I believe the practice was brought in by the unions

I'd be the first to denounce 'high earners' on the council, but that's just vicious propaganda.

My cousin works in the MOD which is the public sector as a security guard. The sick days thing isnt true but the flexi time for other staff is true and that he feels they are overstaffed and consequencetly have not a lot to do as well as high pay means it's a cosy corner. My mate used to work for a local council and said the working habits were much more relaxed than that of the private sector.

There are hundreds in this category.[/
It doesn't help that for purely political and presentational purposes the PM is paid a pittance for the job he does.....it's one of the reasons why we end up with such poor quality parliamentarians.
In saying that I still wouldn't pay the council workers I meet with washers

Too expensive to collect the data? Utter rubbish.

All employers have to maintain full data set of employee earnings as part of their PAYE obligations, councils included.

My own council is a hotbed of dodgey dealing and some of the council "executives" are also Directors of some very strange companies that supply "services" to other councils.

Questions keep being asked but no meaningful answers

Satch said:
My own council is a hotbed of dodgey dealing and some of the council "executives" are also Directors of some very strange companies that supply "services" to other councils.

Questions keep being asked but no meaningful answers

Sounds like an "old boys club". No doubt further down the chain jobs are given to friends and relatives of time served employees.

...but the second is the very interesting range of answers... e.g. the public won't understand the data... it's too expensive to collect and publish it.... worried about staff safety if the figures were known... data protection act... and intellectual property laws ('ve could tell you, but zen ve vill have to extradite you to ze Americans'). Bonkers.
There are generally two types of person who try to obfuscate when asked for a simple answer: those who should know the answer but instead are incompetent and don't and thus wish to conceal their lack of knowledge, and those who have something (less than legitimate) to hide.

My experience of dealing with local council officials means I'm unable to pick which of those two groups those who provided the "inventive" reasons for non-disclosure are most likely to fall into.

There are hundreds in this category.[/
It doesn't help that for purely political and presentational purposes the PM is paid a pittance for the job he does.....it's one of the reasons why we end up with such poor quality parliamentarians.
In saying that I still wouldn't pay the council workers I meet with washers

Oh I think the prime minister is underpaid.

Just compare that to what that postion would be in the private sector.

So it makes even less sense that a council employee should be paid more.

Council jobs are cushy.. its a well known fact. They dont have to account to shareholders and they have much less financial responsibility.

I know lots that work or have worked in council jobs, general observations:

- Jobs are a lot more flexible... a lot more nonsense like job sharing, flexi hours etc etc
- working from home is taken to another level and generally unchecked.
- Departments are mostly way over staffed... they create jobs for things that should be 5 minutes of an existing employees time.
- They pay very well, sometimes less than private sector but the work is so easy and laid back that most prefer the compromise.
- A lot more bureaucracy than private sector

Oh I think the prime minister is underpaid.

Just compare that to what that postion would be in the private sector.

So it makes even less sense that a council employee should be paid more.

I agree but my point is the PMs salary is part of the problem, it's far too low and shouldn't be used as a bench mark
Rather than bench mark the PM against senior civil servants, the position should be compared with CEOs of plcs, and cabinet ministers against functional directors of plcs, in that way we might get some real talent running the country.
Senior council workers should probably be bench marked against their peers in private industry and again we might get some real talent in local government.
Some of the salaries paid to senior people in public life whilst huge compared to the average are in fact poor for the levels of responsibility and accountability, hence we get dunces.

I agree but my point is the PMs salary is part of the problem, it's far too low and shouldn't be used as a bench mark
Rather than bench mark the PM against senior civil servants, the position should be compared with CEOs of plcs, and cabinet ministers against functional directors of plcs, in that way we might get some real talent running the country.
Senior council workers should probably be bench marked against their peers in private industry and again we might get some real talent in local government.
Some of the salaries paid to senior people in public life whilst huge compared to the average are in fact poor for the levels of responsibility and accountability, hence we get dunces.

Not forgetting that some of the highest paid have brought the country to it's knees, both here and worldwide. So throwing money at the problem is not the answer, finding dedicated people over greedy people is a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom