How much do you pay for insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I pay about £360 on my ML350 and the renewal quotes on the SL500 are about £320 both fully comp. I have 18+ years NCB, no points, no convictions.

Just received my renewal quote from Esure which has (not surprisingly) increased from £475 to £510. The rewards of being a loyal customer..

Anyway, a bit of go-comparing-confused-meerkat-supermarketting later. £290. Clean licence 29 years & protected ncd with Tesco. Boom :D

Pleasantly surprised as I understood premiums were set to rise on these cars.

Last edited:
Chap I work with has just received a renewal quote on his RS4 (B7) although he had a prang last month which the insurers have paid for (o/s wing & some suspension parts.) He's 49 although has now lost all his ncb as he also made a claim on his mini the year before (and claimed for a new engine on his Focus STV a few years prior), and his broker - Adrian Flux - have invited him to insure his car with them for in excess of £3k or around £300/month. I see an RS4 up for sale soon :fail:

£350
2013 SL63 AMG
8000 miles
£550 excess

45 years old, 1 claim, no points, 9 years ncd.
That'll do me! About £20 more than my 14 year old SL350!

Just paid about £ 300 for ML 320cdi and £250 for old 3 dr RAV4 on multicar policy with Direct Line.
Including Legal Protection and PNCB. Had 9 yrs NCB on Rav and 4 years on Merc.
Admiral wanted £700 for same cover.

2017, Audi A5 Sportback - 3.0 Tdi

Age 58 1/4
10k per annum
£500 excess
No claims in past 5 years
9 Years NCB
Parked on driveway
Social and commute

Direct Line renewal quote for Jan 17, 2018: £675 :wallbash:

Liverpool Victoria: £220 :D

£930

SL400
S6 Avant

2 years & 11 years NCD.

Aged 48 Surrey.

Two named drivers, no business use.

No points, no accidents.

Aviva Multicar.

Admiral renewal came in at £2,500

I was quoted £510 for my W211 E320 CDi Sport, I managed to get a quote for £292, and my current insurance provider matched it!
It pays to shop about!
No points, no accidents, only driver social, domestic and commuting.
13 years NCB, Cornmarket.

£28.00/Month Directline. CLK320.(Me and the missus).

I know not the cheapest but I've used them for about 16 years now and they have the added bonus that if you miss a payment because of some stuff up by the bank or whatever, they don't cancel your cover they just add another month onto the end of your contract and inform you so you are not unknowingly driving around un-insured.

I know some insurers just cancel your policy and don't bother to tell you!!!

Reaching 25 does indeed bring down the cost of insurance, and along with another year of NCB it might help the pain of paying your premium.
Unfortunately, the postcode lottery really does help or hinder drivers through no fault of their own.

Absolutely... renewal date is fast approaching so I'm looking to get out of this beater. May or may not see a new Benz owner post on the forum! Fingers crossed

Just a reminder that "loyalty" counts for nothing.

Received invite to renew from SAGA - £296.50 - which does include breakdown and legal assistance, up from £185.93 last year.

So onto the blower and, lo, price reduced to £197 90 - same cover and terms.

Inertia plays into their hands... :wallbash:

It's nice that you have such cheap insurance. Can't say the same.

Two cars on multicar policy in suburban Surrey:
1. Audi S8 2015, 8000 miles per annum, commuting + business use, excess 300+150, 10 years NCB - £709
2. SLK55 2014, 7000 miles per annum, commuting, excess 60 + 350, 8 years NCB - £563.

NCB protection, legal cover, foreign use and some other stuff is included. That's with Admiral. I can't get anywhere near that with any other company. Usual quotes are around £1800 for two cars without any extras like: full cover in EU, legal cover, NCB protection, etc.

I'm insured with Admiral since 2012 due to lack of choice. That's since I got first Mercedes. Can't complain on customer service, I'm always able to negotiate and get quotes over the phone. Never had a claim so don't know how good/bad they are.
So just got renewal from Admiral, this year they want £1,540.03 which is calculated as follows:
-£564.48 for SLK, protection of NCD £49.28, 9 years NCD
-£975.55 for Audi A8 2017, 3.0 Black Edition, protection of NCD £61.60 , 11 years NCD

So a bit more for SLK than last year, even though its value is lower and they don't have to replace parts with OEM ones, because it's older than 3 years old. And much more for A8, even though its value is lower than S8 and it has half the power and worse spec. I can only guess that it's more popular than S8 and maybe damage/write off stats are against it.

Problem is, I don't think I can find anything cheaper, I already checked usual comparison sites. Checked Aviva which comes to around £1500 for 2 cars together (in theory with discount), single policies are much more expensive. And I need comprehensive abroad, which limits my choice. I will be on the phone to Admiral in a couple of days, when I have enough time to haggle with them.

I was thinking about raising excess from around £600 to £1000 as calculation on comparison sites suggest it could save me w few hundreds. Excess insurance is around £50 per £1000 excess, so it will be cheaper.

Any ideas where to look for something cheaper? I refuse to be ripped off.

So just got renewal from Admiral, this year they want £1,540.03 which is calculated as follows:
-£564.48 for SLK, protection of NCD £49.28, 9 years NCD
-£975.55 for Audi A8 2017, 3.0 Black Edition, protection of NCD £61.60 , 11 years NCD

So a bit more for SLK than last year, even though its value is lower and they don't have to replace parts with OEM ones, because it's older than 3 years old. And much more for A8, even though its value is lower than S8 and it has half the power and worse spec. I can only guess that it's more popular than S8 and maybe damage/write off stats are against it.

Problem is, I don't think I can find anything cheaper, I already checked usual comparison sites. Checked Aviva which comes to around £1500 for 2 cars together (in theory with discount), single policies are much more expensive. And I need comprehensive abroad, which limits my choice. I will be on the phone to Admiral in a couple of days, when I have enough time to haggle with them.

I was thinking about raising excess from around £600 to £1000 as calculation on comparison sites suggest it could save me w few hundreds. Excess insurance is around £50 per £1000 excess, so it will be cheaper.

Any ideas where to look for something cheaper? I refuse to be ripped off.
My current insurance is worth Mercedes because they asked me over the phone what my best quote was (Saga, £1k) and they promised to beat it with a better offering (new car for old, NCB protection, only MB repairers including windscreen, almost unlimited european travel).

May be worth giving them a go.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Mercedes quoted me £1300 after I had to give them all my details and agree to credit check. They called me today asking if they can do anything. I told them to take it down by 50%, then we can discuss firther.

I use fake details and don't give reg plate when doing insurance quotes. I don't want any credit or id checks and don't want to my searches recorded under my reg plate in databases.

Mercedes quoted me £1300 after I had to give them all my details and agree to credit check. They called me today asking if they can do anything. I told them to take it down by 50%, then we can discuss firther.

I use fake details and don't give reg plate when doing insurance quotes. I don't want any credit or id checks and don't want to my searches recorded under my reg plate in databases.

How do you mean fake details?

Different name, a bit different DOB and house number. It doesn't affect the price but protect my details, phone number and email. I use special emails for that kind of things.
Had my annual haggle with Admiral and it ended at £1300 for both cars. I asked why they can't just send me good renewal and I have to waste my time and their time every year. Was told, I will always get better price on the phone. It's a third year when I gave them lower price from Aviva and they matched it. Of course, Aviva is never offering me that price, but it doesn't matter.
-£463 for SLK55 2014, 9 years NCD protected, legal cover, full foreign cover, social & commuting, 6k miles annualy, £410 excess
-£840 for Audi A8 2017, 3.0 Black Edition, 11 years NCD protected, legal cover, full foreign cover, social & commuting (and 2K business miles which don't change price), 8k miles annualy, £400 excess.

I received my renewal quote from LV= this morning. It was up from the current year's £230.43 to £283.05. A bit of a jump so I asked the meerkats to give me some quotes for comparison. They came up with a selection, the cheapest being £236.99. I've been with LV= for more years than I care to remember so I phoned and asked if they could match the online quote. The best they could come up with was £271.44. When I told them that the online quote was for exactly the same cover and that it was with them they still couldn't get any lower. They actually recommended not renewing with them and applying online through comparethemeerkat, which I did. “Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice.

I was with LV=for several years until last year when they upped it by about £100 for no reason, I also had home insurance with them, I got a price from the AA for £340 which was about £60 less than LV= no doubt the AA will increase next Sept on renewal, so I'll ring round a few more and move again. I have full no claims etc with wife as named driver. Went out last Sat and bought another car same as I have but newer, so will have to transfer ins, will expect an admin fee of about £30 or more for that, bloody rip off! I'm getting annoyed now so better sign off. :wallbash:

Hi all getting quotes of £660 upwards for a W212, clean record HGV Driver but London prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom