How much faster are F1 cars now than in the 1980s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WOW!!!

Makes snse however given general motoring progress,,,, errr,,, oh yes I forgot we are still restricted to 70mph ;)

Pole position in 1986 was 1:22 though... ?

Faster yes... but not quite that much.

Last edited:
Agreed the true difference is about 8-10 secs but that's still massive especially around Monaco

one of my favourite speed comparison videos

[YOUTUBE]K2cNqaPSHv0[/YOUTUBE]

Surely down to tyre/suspension development rather than out and out power tho [ particularly round Monaco] ------with the 1986 Renault EF15B twin turbo charged engine developing 900 bhp in race trim with an alleged 1400 bhp in practice on 1980's tyres!

Aerodynamics, transmission, braking, electronic controls, suspension, tyres so pretty much everything apart from overall power.

The focal length of the camera also distorts the effect.

As others said, it's not simply down to more engine power... in fact regulation following Senna's crash worked to limit the cars' top speed.

Top speeds haven't changed much over the decades. They spend more time nearer to them now though.

There is a 'School of thought' that believes if engine power from the 80's Turbo era and active suspension, tyre width etc had been allowed to continue unchecked on their development course then today's race tracks would be too restrictive for these cars, oh and the fact that us mere humans would probably pass out with the attainable G forces, so these monsters would need Androids to drive em!

In the mid 60's they were lapping the Nurburgring in 8 1/2 minutes. Today a Ford Focus RS can do the same!

I'm pretty sure it's not quite the same circuit now, there used to be an extra southern loop under what is now the GP circuit. Also, I believe some of the crests and hump bridges have been flattened a bit. Could be wrong, but I reckon that'd make a difference too.

The opening clip really is misleading.
Yes, F1 cars today are quicker than in the 80's but by nothing like you see there! There are no circuits which have remained the same and Monaco is now much quicker around the 'Swimming pool' than the 80's.
Monza is one circuit which has stayed closer to the past than most. the first chicane is now about 3 secs slower than the 'bus stop chicane' of the 80's
The lap record in 1992 was in the 1.25's (Senna) with no help from ground effect.
I tested a Le Mans Toyota there in early 92 and we were inside the lap record! (with lots of ground effect!) 1. 25.4
I see Lewis put his McLaren on pole there last year...with a 1.25......:confused:
Cars have changed. Regulations have changed. The tracks have changed.
Technology has changed and safety has moved forward in huge strides.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom