How much for a piston?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Following on from the corporate gift thread, we looked at creating an unusual gift reflecting high performance. I wondered if we got hold of a polished piston and engraved the top.

How much is a single piston - and can they be purchased?

Thanks

Following on from the corporate gift thread, we looked at creating an unusual gift reflecting high performance. I wondered if we got hold of a polished piston and engraved the top.

Thanks

I'll sell you as many as you want.

New ones are about £70.

But why would anyone want a piston, engraved, polished or in any other state?

Thanks
Ex Formula 1 Pistons are occasionally given as gifts

I actually have exactly that engraved pistons from motorsport events also have a collection of valves and crossed valves mounted and engraved, I think they are really good for this sort of thing. Apparently £2 per valve or £25 per piston depending upon which manufacturer you choose to use, good luck but great idea :thumb::thumb:

Ex Formula 1 Pistons are occasionally given as gifts

I also have a set of mounted engraved F1 gear cogs from McLaren, Renault and Toyota which were very popular :thumb:

post a few pictures i would like to see some i always like the f1 engine bits they come up some time and im always tempted

So this doesn't look cool :)

I would quite happily have that on display

f12.jpg

This is cool also, if I was single that would be in my house :)

f1.jpg

Used to use scrap pistons etc polished up as prizes at rallies and so forth, polished up really well they look a treat and cost nothing...way back when scrappies used to strip vehicles for usable spares.....

Even people who don't recognise a piston will see a finely machined, highly polished 'knick-knack' and generally rush up going 'Ooooh, shiney, shiney!':rolleyes:

I would have thought a genuine F1 racer piston would have gone for more than that, even scrap ?

cheers

how about a nicely bound collection of sadomasochistic homo-erotic photos?

A piston is a bit obvious.

Some years a go it was common to re-use old pistons as ashtrays... not very PC nowadays though.

I once saw a photo in a magazine of a pasta machine that Ettore Bugatti had had his workshop make for him fron the piston of a Type 35 (IIRC). That was a thing of beauty and a great use of a car piston.

.........if I was single that would be in my house :)

I think that's the important point. This sort of thing is OK for single blokes or for your garage / workshop but otherwise they are best put away with your old dinky toys and Meccano set.

As part of my move I cleared out the box containing most of the deal gifts I had received in my city career. Expensive tacky dust collecting junk that should have been binned years ago. I once bought a client a WWI German infantry helmet, whose spike you could remove if you needed to strike your grenade, a useful feature for an electricity industry FD, thank heavens he was very drunk when he got it. I was sober though when I bought it.

A colleague arranged Hermes ties as deal gifts so he never had to buy a tie. Mine invariably ended up with a soup or gravy stain, but a few survive.

Now a pasta machine would be a great idea.

the v8 engine block on top gear is a table and its nice i have always like that piece

Back in my past, the local Jaguar club chapter had a trophy which was made from a piston/conrod from one of the Le Mans winning D-Types in the '50s. Made a nice trophy.

They also had a 'wooden spoon' trophy which was a piston/conrod from a Staffordshire Police V8 Discovery, which had come through the crankcase side - complete with two valve heads embedded in the crown, and S-shaped conrod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom