Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rascalmaster

MB Enthusiast
Car
Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
Pretty sure I paid £960 last year...

Come renewal time; just been online and the quote comes to £1500 :crazy:

O dear! What gives?

Attachments

• 2012-04-12 09.30.22 am.jpg
    2012-04-12 09.30.22 am.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 154
What gives?

The renewal I would say, at that price!

Reminds me when BMW upped the price of E46 M3 warranties from something like £800 per year to £1050 and £1600 for anything over 60,000 miles with £200 per visit excess.

Yeah right.

Mine renewal came up at £3100 for tier 1 in November last year - so chose not to renew!

Your car is now older & higher mileage, and therefore more likely to develop a problem?

I (obviously naively) assumed the charges would be the same as last year as long as the car had less than 100000 miles?

I've done 75,000 miles (up from a total of 68000 as of last year)

O well that's the final straw... Olly @ PCS looks after my cars anyways... I'll just put £1000 aside and hedge my bets! lol

I will add though... in two years it's had a new command, turbo, wing mirror, and other odds n sods done under warrnty... at last check that all added up to about £8000... lol
So I certainly got my money's worth out of them!

So now the logical approach would place this car under low risk of further trouble... and a safe bet for them to insure!

So now the logical approach would place this car under low risk of further trouble... and a safe bet for them to insure!

Why? Would you put a driver who has had many accidents as low risk as he "has learnt his lesson"?

Your car appears to have had many faults - so it is logical to assume many more to follow.

Get a Warranty Direct quote. But at 75k your car won't qualify for the top tier of cover.

Good luck.

Reminds me when BMW upped the price of E46 M3 warranties from something like £800 per year to £1050 and £1600 for anything over 60,000 miles with £200 per visit excess.

Yeah right.

What happened was someone in the Motoring press took it upon themselves to take on the manufacturers and their massive price differences between marques. It was then decided that manufacturers could not offer extended warranties themselves, they had to get a proper insurance company to offer it on their behalf.
So overnight all the polices went through the roof!

My S4 went from an initial quote of £480 in the February to £1550 in the April when it actually started!
Pre and post in house warranty prices. :(

So we have some **** of a journo to thank for the over the top warranty prices we see these days.

Go with Warranty Direct, far better imho.

Mondial does Mercedes and they are the same as WD but don't cover wear and tear.

Why? Would you put a driver who has had many accidents as low risk as he "has learnt his lesson"?

Your car appears to have had many faults - so it is logical to assume many more to follow.

Get a Warranty Direct quote. But at 75k your car won't qualify for the top tier of cover.

Good luck.

Point noted...

Though to be fair a car is a mechanical collection of components... component faulty... component changed... component now brand new and unlikely to fail again!

The c@%ap driver analogy perhaps doesn't apply in that sense...
Maybe rubbish driver... now changed for a good caring driver (by all accounts this is what's happened) coupled with a thoroughly sorted car should equal low risks...

What happened was someone in the Motoring press took it upon themselves to take on the manufacturers and their massive price differences between marques. It was then decided that manufacturers could not offer extended warranties themselves, they had to get a proper insurance company to offer it on their behalf.
So overnight all the polices went through the roof!

My S4 went from an initial quote of £480 in the February to £1550 in the April when it actually started!
Pre and post in house warranty prices. :(

So we have some **** of a journo to thank for the over the top warranty prices we see these days.

Go with Warranty Direct, far better imho.

Mondial does Mercedes and they are the same as WD but don't cover wear and tear.

Mondial have operated the MB warranty for years, so are you sure that's the reason?

Yeah, would have been 2007 when they started to come in, Audi was March 07 when it switched, BMW was a little earlier than that.
But sure it was around the 2006 time when it switched from 'in house' warranties to 'insurance policies'.

So about 6 years ago.

I can't see how you can call it either way.

You could argue it may have a lot more faults as it is a Friday afternoon job, or it wont have any as RM says because a lot of parts are new now so shouldn't fail again, or it has had more than the average and has had more than it's fair share so should be fine now.

The bottom line is that a failure can occur at any time to any car and the history of the failures of the car doesn't provide much, if any insight into future possibility of failure.

The bottom line is that a failure can occur at any time to any car.

But statistically ... you get failures when new(ish) due to manufacturing or design defects, then a 'plateau' of reliability after any initial bugs have been resolved, then the rate of failure goes up again as wear and tear (age/mileage) becomes an issue.

Insurance (including warranty cover) is based on statistics, so if the likelihood of you making a claim goes up then your premium will do too.

After market warranty.....for SL55 AMG

I've been reading a little on the forum about aftermarket insurance policies..from members experiences:

A. Would you suggest a warranty for a car of 2003 with 44500 miles with full MB service history?

B. Would members shed any light on best companies to use?

So far I've looked at

Warranty Direct £1137
Warranty Wise £1069
MB Tier 1 @ £1550

These take into account MB dealership labour costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom