how much fuel comes with a new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnDeere8530

I'm going to pick up my new e cabrio this week from a dealer and was just wondering what the stance is (if any) on how much fuel comes with the car. Is there a protocol from Mercedes whereby each car come with 1/2 a tank from example?

Ive bought new cars before and it always seems a lottery on how much comes with the car.

I would contact the dealer and tell them what you expect.
If the car has been brought in on a transporter there won't be a lot of fuel in the tank.
Do you expect to road test it before you sign?

Apparently the delivery charge you pay includes £50 to cover fuel so I would expect "at least" £50 worth seeing you have paid for it.

But when I picked up mine last weekend, it had a full tank.

How much fuel?

I wouldn't wait to see, and expect a decent amount of fuel, (there's a chance of being disappointed). I wish I had more faith in dealerships/garages, but sadly not... Ring them and state you expect a full tank of fuel... Enjoy your car.

Apparently the delivery charge you pay includes £50 to cover fuel so I would expect "at least" £50 worth seeing you have paid for it.

But when I picked up mine last weekend, it had a full tank.

This is roughly what I had thought, since the last Merc I bought in '09 came with around about this amount of fuel. However the new dealer (whom I already dont have a great relationship with and I have not even picked the thing up yet!) says that there will only be enough fuel in it to get to nearest garage. So I am assume £5 or thereabouts.

Is it actually documented anywhere that the deliver charge covers £50 worth of fuel ?

I do not leave this to chance, I always include a full tank as part of my final negotiations, I learnt this the hard way when I bought my first new car it had just enough to get to the fuel pumps at the dealers.

Yes the delivery fee says its includes £50 of fuel.

Is it actually documented anywhere that the deliver charge covers £50 worth of fuel ?

Yes

In the price list (hard copy or the PDF version you can get off the MB website) at the very bottom of the priceing pages in the small print it says

Included are a standard UK delivery charge (£515.00 incl. VAT), new vehicle registration fee (£55.00), number plates (£25.00 incl. VAT) and fuel (£50.00 incl. VAT). VAT is calculated at the standard rate of 20%

If there isn't £50 worth of fuel in your tank on delivery, the dealer owes you £50 seeing that you have paid this charge.

So when the car leaves the factory MB dont actually fill the tank with £50 of fuel, this is down to the individual dealer to do?

Can't remember ever having to put fuel into a new car at collection. Wouldn't be impressed if I had.

the factory fill a preset amount of litres. its actually listed on the datacard sometimes!

Its not much, around 10L from memory... then its up to the dealer...

You should have mentioned to the dealer before ordering that you wanted the tank filling to the brim before confirming the order :thumb:

I guess now it will be a case of you get what you are given, however it may be worth a call outlining your expectations ie a full tank.

My first used c63 had a full tank
Second used c63 had half a tank - both purchased from mb main dealers.

I had a full tank on my E-cab and the GL, but it does say £50 of fuel so expect around 5/8th's to 3/4 of a tank. Any less then I'd be asking where the fuel has gone, full tank is a bonus.

As others have said (and it's documented in the pricelist), the delivery charge includes £50 of fuel that is supplied by the dealer, so that is the minimum that should be in the tank when you collect it. The exception to this is Factory Collection.

When I did Factory Collection of my W204 in 2008 it actually came with a full tank of diesel, which I was quite pleased about. When I did Factory Collection of my W212 earlier this year, the documentation warned me that there would be at least enough fuel in the car to get to a service station, but that was all. When I picked it up I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was actually brim full, just like my W204 :thumb: On return to the UK, in both instances the supplying dealer then filled the car with a further £50's worth of diesel.

thanks for this, as mentioned it is on the pricing structure on MB website

Thought I would have some fun with stealer. I asked him again how much fuel if any comes with the car, because some makes come with more than enough to get you to the nearest garage, but I added did not know MB policy on this. (I deliberately kept it vague and left it wide open to see if he would try it on)

His reply was same as before that it is policy only to give enough to get to nearest garage and that amount varied between dealerships due to differing distances between them and garages!!!

I then said that a mate was told that MB's delivery charge includes more than this. His reply as a matter of goodwill he would give me £10 and that was from his own personal sales margin!! I told him this was not fair on either him or me as surely the dealer should pay out of the delivery price. He just smiled !

With that I walked across to a bloke that looked in charge (as he was instructing the sales manager on something) and mentioned that is was not fair I was only to get £10 fuel and it was out of his salesman's pocket. With that the salesman squirmed and tried to retract what he said. Bloke in charge was taken aback and said there had now been a change of policy and they now 'fill them up'. Told the salesman to fill it for me now and then walked off.

Quite happy with this outcome, must nearly be £100 or so of fuel in there. If you dont ask you dont get !

I bet thats the same bloke that instructs the sales staff to get away with as little fuel as possible!
Lets face it, if they give a full tank with every car sold that probably equates to several sales staff's salaries!

true, I bet they're told not to give any unless asked, but doesnt explain why he offered over and above what I had paid for ?

My first used c63 had a full tank
Second used c63 had half a tank - both purchased from mb main dealers.

They need to give you a full tank of fuel with a c63 so you can get it to the nearest petrol station:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom