how much fuel comes with a new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
it gets worse. We agreed that the dealer will drop the car off to my house (as I have had done countless times in the past) He rang me today saying (after trying to wriggle out of fueling the car) saying that this is no longer on offer..

Reason being is that it is not safe for their staff to do so, ie the dealer can not make 100% sure that my place is safe for his delivery driver !!!!!

I could not believe this, when pushed to put this into writing he declined. He then tried to wriggle out of this saying that we have to meet you in person at the dealership to do the paperwork, it cant be done anywhere else !! I mean why??? you can buy a house without actually physically meeting anyone (just done it) so why a car.

I have bought other cars very recently from brokers and the dealer just delivers the car to my house.

MB dealers it seem are an absolute joke and this is before they have my money !!! Through the whole deal the dealer is very rude and they do not deserve any future business and I am spending approx £48k with them

I buy tractors, lorries, combines and general farm machinery all the time. Cost of item can vary between £8 and £500k, but everytime the dealers treat me with courtesy, stick to their word/original quote and generally think of repeat business. Why on earth cant all cars dealers do the same. Must admit it does piss me off being treated like this. Ok its only a car and I'm not really that bothered about it, but I do like to be treated politely whenever doing business. I make damn sure I do when meeting anyone.

To make matters worse (ok prob not blaming dealer here [yet] as prices may of risen since June26th) but the sale invoice I received today has increased by £350 !

it gets worse. We agreed that the dealer will drop the car off to my house (as I have had done countless times in the past) He rang me today saying (after trying to wriggle out of fueling the car) saying that this is no longer on offer..

Reason being is that it is not safe for their staff to do so, ie the dealer can not make 100% sure that my place is safe for his delivery driver !!!!!

I could not believe this, when pushed to put this into writing he declined. He then tried to wriggle out of this saying that we have to meet you in person at the dealership to do the paperwork, it cant be done anywhere else !! I mean why??? you can buy a house without actually physically meeting anyone (just done it) so why a car.

I have bought other cars very recently from brokers and the dealer just delivers the car to my house.

MB dealers it seem are an absolute joke and this is before they have my money !!! Through the whole deal the dealer is very rude and they do not deserve any future business and I am spending approx £48k with them

I buy tractors, lorries, combines and general farm machinery all the time. Cost of item can vary between £8 and £500k, but everytime the dealers treat me with courtesy, stick to their word/original quote and generally think of repeat business. Why on earth cant all cars dealers do the same. Must admit it does piss me off being treated like this. Ok its only a car and I'm not really that bothered about it, but I do like to be treated politely whenever doing business. I make damn sure I do when meeting anyone.

To make matters worse (ok prob not blaming dealer here [yet] as prices may of risen since June26th) but the sale invoice I received today has increased by £350 !

Its not their fault , im sure they all lost touch with reality years ago and arent even quite sure themselves about whats the truth and whats lies. :)

is it possible (like other manufacturers) to buy a car without being there in person.If not its a pretty poor show of our modern times, as I said I can buy property, or large machinery) this way, so why not a car.

I have sent them copies of 2 utility bills, passport, drivers license as proof of my identity which they are happy with (even though I dont have to do this for other much larger purchases) but they still insist on seeing me :eek:(

I picked mine up last month and it was full. I asked the dealer if it was normal and he said it was from them as the first journey shouldn't be to the garage to fill up.

Nice touch i thought.

things like that make all the difference to me. That and a dealer with courtesy, knowledge of product and above all honest (+ pretty receptionists) want to make you go back again and again. They need not be the cheapest place about either. But for some reason pretty much all dealers fail to address these simple issues.

JohnDeere8530 said:

I have half an inkling this is to do with credit/consumer regs. Not sure where I got this from though.

It's true if you are buying on finance you must sign the paperwork on site, it's the law

No it's not

BUT

If you sign the paperwork in the dealership then you don't have an automatic legal right to cancel within 14 days.

Sign it at home and you have the right to cancel AFTER you have taken delivery.

For my last car I bought it from a BMW dealer in North London. To this day I have never been there.

All the paperwork was sent out by post and returned the same way. The car was the delivered to my home address on a truck.

No finance involved. So there is no reason why I have to go to the dealership then ?

My supplying dealer was 250 miles away from my house. All paperwork done via post and have never been anywhere near them . No idea why they insist you visit them to collect

BTW - Tank was probably full when it left them and was driven to my house so it had about 2/3 left when it arrived.

I will ring him and give him a piece of my mind in that case. He says it is a legal requirement for me to be present !!!

Think all dealers are as bad as each other, bought 3 Freelanders for farm managers earlier this yr, service was terrible again. I really dont know why this is, this forum is full of bad experiences with main dealers.

In the commercial sector ie Volvo lorries & Claas combines that I have bought recently the experience is totally different. In fact me & the two managers were flown to Germany seeing the 2 combines being built, had guided tour of factory (whole day), slap up meals and were taken to the local town that evening. They could not do enough for you. The same is true with John Deere flying customers to America.

I just checked my agreement and I have paid £100 for fuel. However, I am jumping ship to BMW and as it is an X5 it might hold somewhere near £100 in diesel! I can't get to worked up though as the cost of the car, insurance, etc its all just expense and the part of joy of motoring.
As far as the garage is concerned they have been superb and I have never met them and only used e-mail and two phone calls. BMW Park Lane London and their approach to the sale and response has been excellent - customer is King with them. To be fair Mercedes-Benz Picadilly were also super, but I could not wait until Nov/Dec for another E Class Convertible and I got in with the X5 a few days just before it started its build in Spartenburg USA for delivery this Fri. I didn't go for a 3 Series CC as I simply do not like the look and the boot is far too small with the roof down. 6 Series is expensive, but not available in my timescale and I could do with the extra space for a year, hence settling on the massive X5!
I'll miss my E Class and may return to one next year, although I might be able to go for a BMW 6 Series 640D Convertible or even something crazy like the new M5 next year. The only bit of E Class that I did not like was the top of dash and doors - too cheap and the leather option was way too expensive to upgrade for what it was.
Once you get your car though you'll forget all your issues and just enjoy driving it. The odd thing about the V6 diesel though is that I got so used to the power that I would actually have liked more or emptier roads, but I guess the great mpg was the balance. That's why I ilke the sound of the BMW 640D, reviews really rate the engine and an M5 would be out of this World.
This will be my last post unless I get another MB, but to all the members many thanks for making it so interesting and helpful and all the best to you all in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom