How much oil do you fill m113 s500?/messed up something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xcamronx

Car
w215
Hi,I brought my car from garage after fixes,I dont drive it,it just sits in my yard and once a week turn it on to get the blood pumping and drive front and back for gearbox and stuff.
Originally dipstick has two little circles,one circle is near "minimum" and second one is little higher but minimal,so people who changed oil filled between these circles,near minimum on other words. When I saw,I was like its LOW,so I filled on cold engine almost to the max,then maybe after couple starts I saw a smoke from the hood.Engine started leaking oil like crazy,it leaks on manifolds and then smoke starts. So ok,its
A. Coincidence.
B. I fooked up something badly because I filled almost to the max?????
What the heck is this,my friend on bmw has on petrol little over max on cold and no problems and my car basically broke,I have to take to engine repairs now,doesnt matter even if its smaller problem,it will cost anyway because of engine works,BECAUSE I filled little below max + i dont drive that car just turn it up and rev up a little once or twice a week?
Yeah is those 2 circles are indication where oil should be on cold near minimum,and I filled near max,its seriously over max,but like what the heck??? What circles write temp or something,now Im breaking my head im dummy broke something on engine because I overfilled oil,which I didnt,I just filled to almost max. Or its just stupid coincidence? I drained later on after smoke persisted thought it will fix itself but it didnt.
Those red sparkplug pipes are hella oily ( red ) and then when oil start to drop below ( green ) smoke happens...Im clueless,I have some health issues now cant take car anywhere,called mechanic he will come over sometime but im still curious how on earth filling oil and even not driving the car daily could have caused such freaking oiliness,you rev up 6k couple times and smokes comes from the hood,i mean its too much from such a little stuff i did.

Attachments

• DSC00111.JPG
    DSC00111.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 44
I would guess it holds the same amount of oil as the M113K (E55) which is 8.5 litres.

I definitely filled the E55 I had so it read 8.5 every time on a flat surface, albeit I was careful getting to that point (just adding a bit and waiting say 2 or 3 minutes).

Never had any issues (nor with any car I fill to max and there have been many including Mercs and plenty of other makes) so assuming you definitely didn't overfill it, I can't see how it is linked so I would be thinking coincidence.

Originally dipstick has two little circles,one circle is near "minimum" and second one is little higher but minimal,so people who changed oil filled between these circles,.....................................................................................................................................................................................................you rev up 6k couple times and smokes comes from the hood,i mean its too much from such a little stuff i did.
What year is your car? First thing to check is if a dipstick was fitted as standard or has someone taken a dipstick from another model? Many MB's were never fitted with dipsticks for a while but use an electronic measurement instead.
If revving the car in neutral, can it really rev to 6000rpm? The MB's I've had cannot go above 3000rpm in neutral?

I would guess it holds the same amount of oil as the M113K (E55) which is 8.5 litres.

I definitely filled the E55 I had so it read 8.5 every time on a flat surface, albeit I was careful getting to that point (just adding a bit and waiting say 2 or 3 minutes).

Never had any issues (nor with any car I fill to max and there have been many including Mercs and plenty of other makes) so assuming you definitely didn't overfill it, I can't see how it is linked so I would be thinking coincidence.

You filled your car on cold to the almost full right?
Im thinking same! But it happen about the time when I filled it and whole engine crazy leaks started,and car was back for 2-3 months... And when you think,if the car didnt like the capacity of oil something couldnt handle pressure and broke out to leak,but it makes no sense. If i was driving,racing,sure no problem,but starting up the car and reving up,moving front and back couple times,never even reach work temperature..... I will show dipstick pic below....Its very interesting to me. Oh and my neighbors sisters husband is surgeon ( he bought wife 2018 jeep year or two back, but he drives DEAD BEAT w210 LOL,that car literally riding peace of junk but anyway,I guess he loves the car.. ) he said his oil is always at minimum too. And at service they changed new oils too,it was in minimum range too and everything was fine,so im like in really wtf mode...until i filled to the max and after about 2-3 starts everything started.

What year is your car? First thing to check is if a dipstick was fitted as standard or has someone taken a dipstick from another model? Many MB's were never fitted with dipsticks for a while but use an electronic measurement instead.
If revving the car in neutral, can it really rev to 6000rpm? The MB's I've had cannot go above 3000rpm in neutral?

2002. I dont know,maybe its 3000,I rev it all the way up thats what i meant.

Now heres funny thing.

The picture with black ending dipstick,clearly indicates,at 20 celcius there is gap for cold engine,it must sit there.
And for 80 is work temperature where oil should be when hot.
So it clearly show how much to have on cold engine and on hot! Cold - little above minimum, work temp - little below maximum.

Now the second one - red,I have this one,it just i painted those black circles myself on picture,mine is identical but with little black holes in those places,so I guess maybe mercedes showed there how much oil should be filled - a UNKNOWN gap with no signs how much to fill? If both dipsticks judge cold engine just little over minimum,and you fill to the max on cold,while dipstick shows it should sit at max range when at 80, of course its huge overfill.................... Im lost,if I had black dipstick thats no brainer,but I have the another one without numbers, so how the heck do you know how much oil? Everyone usually fills on cold near full and everything is good,but that black dipstick is showing different,im in wtf mode lost after my whole engine is shaky and spitting oils everywhere it can.

Attachments

• Mercedes-MIARKA-BAGNET-W203-W210-W211-W220-Automat.jpg
    Mercedes-MIARKA-BAGNET-W203-W210-W211-W220-Automat.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 17
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Isn’t the first dipstick for the transmission?

The second dipstick is definitely for the engine.

The first picture on the left (flat type) is for transmission only . The transmission tube is normally plugged and this dipstick is kept in the garage .
The second dipstick ? I have no idea , My M113 V8 is supplied without a dipstick.

Are you sure you dont just have an oil leak from the rocker cover seals ? a very common 'fault' on older M113 V8. the oil drips directly on to the exhaust manifold, if you were driving you could smell it and if enough drips (does not take a lot) smoke comes up from under the bonnet and through the bonnet vents at standstill , very alarming !! But not as bad it looks. Not too difficult/expensive to repair.

are you sure it is oily smoke and not condensation from a cold start

The worst thing you can do is start and engine, let it idle and then switch off without having driven anywhere...

how many miles has the car done?

What "fix" did the garage do?

Im thinking same! But it happen about the time when I filled it and whole engine crazy leaks started,and car was back for 2-3 months... And when you think,if the car didnt like the capacity of oil something couldnt handle pressure and broke out to leak,but it makes no sense. If i was driving,racing,sure no problem,but starting up the car and reving up,moving front and back couple times,never even reach work temperature..... I will show dipstick pic below....Its very interesting to me. Oh and my neighbors sisters husband is surgeon ( he bought wife 2018 jeep year or two back, but he drives DEAD BEAT w210 LOL,that car literally riding peace of junk but anyway,I guess he loves the car.. ) he said his oil is always at minimum too. And at service they changed new oils too,it was in minimum range too and everything was fine,so im like in really wtf mode...until i filled to the max and after about 2-3 starts everything started.

2002. I dont know,maybe its 3000,I rev it all the way up thats what i meant.

Now heres funny thing.

The picture with black ending dipstick,clearly indicates,at 20 celcius there is gap for cold engine,it must sit there.
And for 80 is work temperature where oil should be when hot.
So it clearly show how much to have on cold engine and on hot! Cold - little above minimum, work temp - little below maximum.

Now the second one - red,I have this one,it just i painted those black circles myself on picture,mine is identical but with little black holes in those places,so I guess maybe mercedes showed there how much oil should be filled - a UNKNOWN gap with no signs how much to fill? If both dipsticks judge cold engine just little over minimum,and you fill to the max on cold,while dipstick shows it should sit at max range when at 80, of course its huge overfill.................... Im lost,if I had black dipstick thats no brainer,but I have the another one without numbers, so how the heck do you know how much oil? Everyone usually fills on cold near full and everything is good,but that black dipstick is showing different,im in wtf mode lost after my whole engine is shaky and spitting oils everywhere it can.

If you have the red dipstick, that clearly show the min and max levels - if the oil reads anywhere between those it is fine.

It is below the min, add a little at a time (about 1/2 litre) until it is above the min mark.

If you added more oil, you might have overfilled it...

The first pic shows the transmission dip stick. I hope you didn't put oil in the engine and then check with the wrong dipstick!!
The dipstick on the M113 is at the front left of the engine. Best not to start the engine again till you are sure. What does the electronic dipstick say?

If you have the red dipstick, that clearly show the min and max levels - if the oil reads anywhere between those it is fine.

It is below the min, add a little at a time (about 1/2 litre) until it is above the min mark.

If you added more oil, you might have overfilled it...

Yes it shows min/max , I added little below max on cold engine,did I overfill? This is what im trying to figure out,so im not supposed to add more than little above min??? Because everything was good until it was little over min,but when I added little BELOW FULL it all stared. I have the dipstick on the right,but its really retarded that you add it to the almost full, NOT OVERFILL and this happens,but if its benz normals like you say add just a little bit over minimum no wonder something could have happened.

The first pic shows the transmission dip stick. I hope you didn't put oil in the engine and then check with the wrong dipstick!!
The dipstick on the M113 is at the front left of the engine. Best not to start the engine again till you are sure. What does the electronic dipstick say?

How much oil do you add to your w215? I have it too,I just wrote S because its more common but engines are same,you ever filled to max? mine 2002,I dont think it has electronic oil dipstick program.

How much oil do you add to your w215? I have it too,I just wrote S because its more common but engines are same,you ever filled to max? mine 2002,I dont think it has electronic oil dipstick program.
I have a W216 mine takes 8.5 litres, but an idea is if you drain the oil out from the sump plug, measure how much came out.
If the spec for your car says 8.5 litres with filter change and you change the filter, measure/fill with 8 litres and only top up the other 0.5 if it needs it and after it has had a run, switched off and settled for at least 30 minutes on level ground.
If I were you, I would drain the oil and then only fill with the correct amount without filter change of say 7.5 Litres.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, 8litres is for an oil change.

A top up should be no more than 0.5-1 litre.

Yes... always have done and always will.

I did have oil leaks in that car but they are the norm as stated - on that engine at least.

You can run a car if the level is just above minimum but you have less scope for losing oil (leaks and burning) and my E55 drank it like petrol!

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, 8litres is for an oil change.

A top up should be no more than 0.5-1 litre.
Ha Ha
That's why I suggested draining the oil and then filling with the correct amount, clearly the OP has no clue how to top up/read a dipstick. the best solution is drain it all again.
There is no mention of how much oil actually went in to topup

Is the OPs car prone to the transmission cooler leaking?

or diesel getting into the oil?

Ha Ha
That's why I suggested draining the oil and then filling with the correct amount, clearly the OP has no clue how to top up/read a dipstick. the best solution is drain it all again.
There is no mention of how much oil actually went in to topup
We don't even know if he's using the correct dipstick or putting it in the correct dipstick tube?

We don't even know if he's using the correct dipstick or putting it in the correct dipstick tube?
Bruh i wrote once or twice i have the right one aka the right one. I forgot the first is gearbox since i took it only once in lifetime. I had no father/any grown men around and no job related to cars my knowledge is not that high,im better at disembling cell phones and computers. And since all engine broke loose of oil after filling it to the max is pretty normal question. Example i overfilled my w212 diesel because it was rly low so i went extreme on the road and left like that,later i checked its overfilled above max 1-2mm,and actually drove car a bit with over,this time i made sure i dont overfill so it was perfect milimeter below max and now i have car with smoke under the hood and oily engine = not cool. Plus , garage guys fill near minimum + neighbour near minimum + dipstick has two small circles little above minimum with small space in between so now im thinking if its indication of the oil level,ill upload pic,theres 2 small circles so i have hard standpoint to ask this as not silly question and ask if you fill to almost max cold engine with no ill effects. I drained oil long time ago,still persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom