How much oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
Checking over the old girl (my 124 if you're new!) and the oil level on the dipstick was just above min. Do I need to top her up and if so, with how much oil please? Just to confirm, she needs 10W40 ? Thanks

20200818_112941.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure on type of oil but I keep a close eye on my engine oil as my m156 naturally consumes some over a course of 1000 miles, usually I'll place in 100ml and then recheck the dipstick to have it around the middle.

It doesn't register right away, so I'll fill, leave it for 10 mins, take dipstick out, wipe it clean, reinsert and check again until it's at a good level.

Checking over the old girl (my 124 if you're new!) and the oil level on the dipstick was just above min. Do I need to top her up and if so, with how much oil please? Just to confirm, she needs 10W40 ? Thanks

View attachment 101024
Measure the oil when it’s hot , 10 mins after you have stopped driving . On level ground . If you top up on cold the oil will expand

So I thought I'd top her up with oil, but I can't open the oil filler cap :wallbash: any tips apart from getting a strong man :cool:

So I thought I'd top her up with oil, but I can't open the oil filler cap :wallbash: any tips apart from getting a strong man :cool:

Nope. :D

You could use a pipe wrench with a piece of cloth to prevent damage to the plastic cap.

From memory, the difference between Min and Max is 2L. I would add 1/2L at a time, then let the engine get up to normal operating temperature, switch off, wait 5 minutes, and recheck the oil level. While on level ground, obviously.

Keep in mind that it' should be no more than a smidgen under the Max mark when fully hot. About halfway between Min and Max when hot is also OK.

Sounds like a game of cluedo, MissyD did it in the garage, with a pipe wrench...... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom