How much rust is too much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr33nmachin3

Car
1992 300TD Estate
I have owned several older Mercs (123, 124, 126) and all have suffered with the typical rot. My current 123 is pretty bad. I'm taking it to the US where in my home state there are no safety checks, so you can literally drive just about anything on the road, even if it's rusted out and broken and missing huge bits. I'm just wondering at what point do you throw in the towel and part out/scrap a 123 for rust issues? Has anyone out there taught themselves to weld, so that they might salvage their treasured old car?

Well I have seen the rusted out cars in the US,my thoughts are if you know that your car would not pass our MOT,then it becomes a personal decision of do you want to drive a car like that on the roads with the possibility that it collapses and you and maybe others are in a accident,for me your car is just a ornament when it has that amount of rust,maybe put flower pots on it.

How much will it cost to ship your car to US?
Is it worth the cost?
Rustbangers you can buy cheap in US.
When your car enters US soil it will be marinated in extra rust from the salty sea air.

I have owned several older Mercs (123, 124, 126) and all have suffered with the typical rot. My current 123 is pretty bad. I'm taking it to the US where in my home state there are no safety checks, so you can literally drive just about anything on the road, even if it's rusted out and broken and missing huge bits. I'm just wondering at what point do you throw in the towel and part out/scrap a 123 for rust issues? Has anyone out there taught themselves to weld, so that they might salvage their treasured old car?
A decent MIG welder is surprisingly easy for a diy'er to use, as long as you use common sense. Like many aspects of maintaining any car the key is in the preperation.
Welding a new section of metal in is easy so long as you have removed all the rust from the area. A flux cored welding wire will allow you to work outside without the need for large shielding gas bottles. Budget not only for the MIG welder (£300+) but also a good angle grinder, assorted grinding & flap discs, a decent quality auto darkening helmet, safety glasses, gloves, wire brushes and a magnetic holder.
If you are a practical type give it a try, you may well find you enjoy sticking bits of metal together. Great fun.

Plenty of rust free W123s in the US. You'll never be able to fix it so unless it's in stellar mechanical shape, leave it there and get another from Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom