How much safer is driving a LHD car abroad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
How important, or how useful is it, to have a left hand drive car in, say, France?

I spend 50% of my time driving on the right hand side of the road, and its only an issue because I have a UK SL350 that has the ability to overtake slower traffic.

The problem is obvious, I have to pull out a long way to see if the way is clear to overtake. That can create 'interesting' moments as on coming cars flash by your bonnet!

Alternatively, one's passenger can say "Go", but I've almost come to blows with that one, because the command "Go" can be mistaken for "No" :eek:

So for the occasional trip abroad, I admit I wouldn't bother thinking about it, but if you are a British driver who spends a lot of time in France, Germany, etc, would you consider buying a LHD car as a better bet?

Robert

I have a LHD Citroen SM which I have driven more on the continent than here. Not sure it's any safer but it is easier.

The problem is obvious, I have to pull out a long way to see if the way is clear to overtake. That can create 'interesting' moments as on coming cars flash by your bonnet!Robert

Not casting aspersions at all, have you tried holding off (not getting so close to the vehicle in front) which allows more vision ahead and around and/or moving to the right and looking up the right side of the vehicle in front? Whilst not as 'easy' overtaking on the continent it certainly isn't insurmountable.

I moved to Switzerland earlier this year and was offered the chance to take my UK cars over. But I bought a LHD car instead. It is the day to day things like carparks, toll booths, overtaking and junctions that are easier. I find the LHD car also reminds which side of the road to drive on.

But I do still sometimes go to the wrong door after filling the car up.

I guess the amount of time you spend abroad and the amount of money you spend will determine if it is viable.

Definitely easier with LHD, if the car has foreign plates you don't seek to get the tailgaters and aggro you would with UK plates.

S

Last edited:
RHD every time, easier to get served at Macdonalds drive thru

Joking aside if most of your winter driving is in the UK I'd stick with what you've got

I used to have a Ford Explorer SHO LHD for a company car, it was very useful having the added vision when on my numerous continental trips (actually what is was procured for) packed to the gunnels with equipment, and was never a problem on UK roads as we as UK drivers are brought up on them and the restriction were easier to adapt to.

Used to get some funny looks when pulled up occasionally in EU because it was LHD with GB plates though, but the local plod were always more interested than anything else.

I've seen some enterprising individuals install a small camera into the left hand mirror (pointing forwards) and have it plugged into the command screen.

if you are a British driver who spends a lot of time in France, Germany, etc, would you consider buying a LHD car as a better bet?

In my opinion it's both safer & easier using a L/H/D. Consider this: There's a lot of U.K. & Irish registered trucks that are L/H/D.

Last edited:
Not casting aspersions at all, have you tried holding off (not getting so close to the vehicle in front) which allows more vision ahead and around and/or moving to the right and looking up the right side of the vehicle in front? Whilst not as 'easy' overtaking on the continent it certainly isn't insurmountable.

It's a good point :)

I did my IAM Advanced course and that was one of the most sensible things they taught me (plus 'keeping my vision up').

So yes, hang back a bit.

Mind you, the French tailgate like crazy. It would be considered 'dangerous driving' here in the UK. So hanging back really annoys them (which conflicts with IAM training), and makes them close even further! Idiots!

Cheers,
Robert

In opinion it's both safer & easier using a L/H/D. Consider this: There's a lot of U.K. & Irish registered trucks that are L/H/D.

Good point! I hadn't thought of that :)

I'm sizing up a replacement for my SL350, and wondering if I should go LHD.

Trouble is, the cost of the same car abroad is significantly greater than here in the UK. So there's a premium to pay :-(

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:
I worked on a RHD TVR in Germany and the owner had put a small forward facing camera in the front of the LH door mirror relayed on a small screen inside. the resolution is so good on modern cameras and it's not expensive to do. Nice simple solution.

Great point...LHD cars over here are way cheaper for obvious reasons. I know in Germany LHD can be upto 40/50% more than equivalent UK RHD cars...

The real answer is to have a second car already over there.

We bought an LHD car in Europe in 1997 and brought it here. I drove it in the UK for 10 years no problem at all, A roads and B roads included. It is now back in Italy as our summer holiday car.

I don't think RHD or LHD makes much difference other than to, as said, overtaking lorries on a narrow road, but even then it is quite manageable IMO.

I moved to Switzerland earlier this year and was offered the chance to take my UK cars over. But I bought a LHD car instead. It is the day to day things like carparks, toll booths, overtaking and junctions that are easier. I find the LHD car also reminds which side of the road to drive on.

But I do still sometimes go to the wrong door after filling the car up.

I guess the amount of time you spend abroad and the amount of money you spend will determine if it is viable.

Definitely easier with LHD, if the car has foreign plates you don't seek to get the tailgaters and aggro you would with UK plates.

S

interesting,I spend about 5 months every year abroad,towing and not towing,mainly in France where the standard of driving is generally held to be the worse in Europe,,by the French police who yield to no one in their expertise in this skill,although Italy can have its moments.

I have always thought that the "up your a**e " method of driving was caused by the very large electro magnet built into all French registered vehicles or the profound sense of loneliness and angst felt by all French people. Certainly I have not found the registration plate of the "attractor" car to be of any significance,they are not prejudiced,they will put anyones rear at risk.

As to LHD or RHD,leave enough space and I have never had a problem. The only crash I have had (and it was a very bad one ) in over 40 years was in a left hooker in the UK. Faced with a 38 tonne English lorry on the wrong side of the road round a blind bend the position of the wheel was immaterial. Quite quickly it was in my head.

I have always thought that the "up your a**e " method of driving was caused by the very large electro magnet built into all French registered vehicles or the profound sense of loneliness and angst felt by all French people. Certainly I have not found the registration plate of the "attractor" car to be of any significance,they are not prejudiced,they will put anyones rear at risk.

I agree.

Although I am also mystified by the 'Magnetic kerbs' they seem to have built into their dual carriageways/motorways.

I've had cars pass me only to pull straight into lane 1, in front of me, then after less than 3 or 4 seconds they pull straight out again to avoid a collision with the rear of another vehicle, usually a lorry.

I sit there and watch them weave in and out, fast lane, slow lane, fast lane, etc, etc every few seconds. Indicators flashing this way then that way like Christmas tree lights. The whole thing must be exhausting for the driver?

So my theory, of which I'm pretty confident, is that the kerbs beside the road have powerful magnets that pull the French cars into the slow lane, even if they have only 100 metres before the rear of the next lorry.

Most odd behaviour?

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom