How much will it cost me to drive to florence! lol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:) UPDATE..

Things are on the up for the merc,

I have a dodgy indicator switch in the picasso which has suddenly started to indicate right for no reason at all!
Ive also heard about the dodgy fuel pumps in the pic:eek:

The niggly bits in the merc can all be possibly sorted by next friday!

The leaking head gasket doesn't seem to be burning much oil at all, although there are signs of it still leaking.

I'll keep you all posted, I should have started a poll....

My head gasket on my old 300sl 24 v failed after about 6 months of leaking with no real visible evidence of lack of power etc a bit of overheating though.

In the end it cost me a whopping £2000 as my head cracked and had to be welded.
I would not risk a long journey if it was suspect.

I love the pics, think of the great views you and the family will have driving to and from.
Pete

I had the head gasket go on my old rover 1.4 and it took over two years and nearly 10,000 miles from first symptoms to repair, and was only really bad for the last few hundred miles. If it's not losing much coolant and there are no signs of oil in the coolant or emulsification under the oil cap it's still early onset.

Last edited:
Not wise

kensalriser said:
I had the head gasket go on my old rover 1.4 and it took over two years and nearly 10,000 miles from first symptons to repair, and was only really bad for the last few hundred miles. If it's not losing much coolant and there are no signs of oil in the coolant or emulsification under the oil cap it's still early onset.

Years ago I arranged to meet my old pal Clive just south of Florence. He was travelling from UK in his Cavalier and I was driving my old Golf down from Frankfurt.
As usual Clive gave it the hammer (he said) while I tootled down driving like a Granny (as others have said).
He got there before me. "Where's the motah, Clive?"
"In the garage."
"That's interesting."
"Not only interesting it could also be expensive." said Clive.
It was. Not only that, the garage would not take credit cards, only good old fistfuls of Lira, as it was in those days.
Guess why?

PeterG said:
My head gasket on my old 300sl 24 v failed after about 6 months of leaking with no real visible evidence of lack of power etc a bit of overheating though.

In the end it cost me a whopping £2000 as my head cracked and had to be welded.
I would not risk a long journey if it was suspect.

Pete

What caused your car to overheat ? Waterpump or fan failure or low pressure in the cooing system (the correct high pressure raises the boiling point of water) can cause this.
Stretched cylinder head bolts can cause leaks
Sounds like the headgasket was the victim not the cause.Headgaskets can merrily weep oil for years without problems. My old BMW 525i leaked for 12 years and 200k before terminal bodyrust sent it to car heaven.

adam

Last edited:
After talking to Ian and a couple of others (my friendly local merc man being one) I have renewed confidence in the merc making the trip:)

Its just the cost of the breakdown cover and fuel to worry about now:eek:

Only 1 week to go!:bannana:

Adam
A hose which feeds from the top of the block into the bulkhead had a crack in it and was weeping causing it to eventually lose fluid and overheat.
P

badshot1uk said:
After talking to Ian and a couple of others (my friendly local merc man being one) I have renewed confidence in the merc making the trip:)

Don't let the fainthearts put you off. A trip to remember for years to come and you are clearly dying to let the Merc sniff the channel air, the garlic and the Gaulloises. Go for it!:)

badshot1uk said:
..........................plus the front brake pipes are starting to perish....:( )

I'd be more worrried about these!!!:eek:

BIG Sean said:
I'd be more worrried about these!!!:eek:

Yes I quite agree. My gung-ho approach would not run to driving with dodgy brake pipes. Staying alive is a priority. Must be fixed first or it's the Picasso.

Hi where are you going in Italy ?. It wouldnt be Camping Girasole in Figline Vildarno would it ? I have been there three times. Twice I drove ( its a long way !)...and recently flew down with Ryan Air and hired a small car for two weeks.If you are going to this site you will not be disappointed it is fantastic.
Have a great time
Pete:)

petef said:
Hi where are you going in Italy ?. It wouldnt be Camping Girasole in Figline Vildarno would it ? I have been there three times. Twice I drove ( its a long way !)...and recently flew down with Ryan Air and hired a small car for two weeks.If you are going to this site you will not be disappointed it is fantastic.
Have a great time
Pete:)

:D Yep thats the campsite, it looks great fun and in a lovely setting too.
We cant wait, hopefully the drive down wont be too bad as i'm going to break it up over 3 days and ive got 4 days to trundle home.

Re the brake hoses my mechanic is a perfectionist and says they need doing but are nothing to worry about in the short term.

Im having some more little bits done today, by the time im finished with it it'll be like new (or at least cost as much!).

Anyway thanks again to all those that replied, were provisionally booked to take the Picasso with eurotunnel, but that may all change today.

Watch this space:D

Paul

Hi Paul...you will be very impressed with this site, and the journey down is fantastic...especially if you are just taking your time. There are two swimming pools....we only found the second one this time round !!! You have to walk to the top of the hill as it is at the top of the campsite and it is very child friendy ...only about 1 to 2 feet in depth with lots of caves and things.....The campsite shop can be a little bit expensive so I would use the large supermarket in the village...its the size of a average ASDA....lots of bargains and all the locals go. Dont go to Florence in the car ....you will not get a parking space ....The train takes you from the village you are staying in !.....all the local cities you must go to...San Gimmigano a smalll hill top village ( I know you dont spell it like that ) is breath taking and is about an hours drive.....I just love this camp site. We have been three times and are already planning next May / Junes venture ( weather to hot for us in high season ). No scallies,...only disadvantage ( if you see it as a disadvantage ) not that many brits, for the kids I mean. ( but then again, the site is only half full when we go as it has only just opened for season ).However, if you have teenagers great small disco..watch out though for the local young casanovas who visit for your daughters !!!!...Wish I was coming along too !!!! Have a great time. Let us know how it went when you get back.......after all that you will prob tell me it was crap !!!!!:)
Pete

badshot1uk said:

So which one gets to make the trip? You promised us after all this thread has covered to tell us the answer.

Were off tomorrow and were taking the Citreon:(

I have just found out I've made a **** up with the insurance for the merc.
When I brought it a couple of months ago I brought it in my wifes name (so its registered to her).
When I added it to our insurance it was added as a replacement for a vehicle that was registered in my name!

I only found this out yesterday, so not sure where we stand on this as my insurance company is closed today.

Also to add insult to injury, a job I was supposed to do after we return has fallen through, so I have no work to come back to and being self employed I cant afford the extra cash in fuel the mercs gonna use, including all those tolls etc:(

I am a little pee'd off at the moment although Im looking forward to the break.

Anyone have any idea's re the insurance as I'd be gutted if something were to happen to the merc (we all know how insurance companys will do anything not to pay out).

Anyways its not all bad, the Picasso will do about 700 miles to a 60 litre tank and its got a great twin screen dvd system to keep the litle ones quiet for the 2000 odd mile journey.

Cheers again for all your help, I wish I were taking the merc but theres just too many things against it:(

Paul

Yes agree, take the Citroen, atleast it will be reliable and get you there.

The insurance should not be a problem. Our merc is registered in my name, but my wife is the policy holder and the main driver, I am just an additional driver. Insurance companies are fine with this if the registered keeper is the spouse or if you have a good reason for it to be someone else.

-simon

Seamster15 said:
Yes agree, take the Citroen, atleast it will be reliable and get you there.

Is that another of your little digs at Mercedes? Can't say reliability is a word normally associated with Citroen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom