How much worth LHD W123 200D??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How hard would it be to swap to 300D or 300TD?

They're a little bit harder as the gearbox has to be moved back, so you need a 300D front section propshaft, whereas with a 240D you can leave the gear box in situ and just swap the engine.

Either are an easy swap, only really a days work at most.

Is there enough room to move this gearbox back? Or do I would have to do some mayor modifications?

germany new emission regulations going to preclude loads of classic cars from being brought or used, but africa lebanon and eastern europe is the market for it, would say price is between 1-1.5k for the buyer who really wants it, and if automatic will be more desirable

The german regs about vintage german registered cars are:-

Vintage cars are vehicles that are at least 30 years old and have an "H" historic registration number or a red vintage car registration number plate. Due to a nation-wide exemption for such vehicles added as an amendment to the Marking Ordinance. Such vintage cars can freely move within the environment zone

So even if a car would normally get a red sticker - the worst - it might get an exemption. I suspect that for foreign registered vehicles it would be 30 years. So maybe, just maybe 1978 is okay for germany?
Les

I had a 240D auto estate a few years ago, it looked bloody awful and was slow (80mph) flat out , but it never ever let me down,I`m still kicking myself for selling it!!:wallbash::wallbash:

I looked at a very clean 200D a while ago & test drove it.

A scary machine. If pulling out onto an A road, as I was, I'd say you'd need a gap of 5-600 yards to allow you to get up to the speed of traffic (55-60mph). It was ridiculously, dangerously slow, & that was with the AC turned off!

Vintage cars are vehicles that are at least 30 years old and have an "H" historic registration number or a red vintage car registration number plate. Due to a nation-wide exemption for such vehicles added as an amendment to the Marking Ordinance. Such vintage cars can freely move within the environment zone

So even if a car would normally get a red sticker - the worst - it might get an exemption. I suspect that for foreign registered vehicles it would be 30 years. So maybe, just maybe 1978 is okay for germany?
Les

thank u for clarifying that point from what i here the models less than 30 years old, they are being so strict in germany many are leaving as it is not economical to do emissions mods etc, or at least that is what i have been told.

pls correct me if i am wrong. and at least it is better than UK where it is cars before 1973 (manufacture) that attain historic and tax exempt status and that is fixed.

Sold my Dad's W123 230E for £800, was fairly clean aswell!

Les

Not entirely correct.

The red number plate you describe is a dealer plate only and yes, those can also be used on any car, any driver and at any time. Tax and insurance is included (but very expensive).

The stickers you mentioned are the "Umwelt-Platte", goes from 1 to 4 (4 being the nicest cars for the environment). These stickers do not apply to Vintage cars with a "H" on the number plates.

A third option to drive any car at any time anywhere in Germany is to get the "Kurzkennsichen" which is a short-term number plate with a yellow band on the right, indicating the valid-to date and is normally valid for 5 days (similar to apperance to what MB offer UK customers with factory collection, although with a red band - the one with red is for export and new cars).

@ NewMB

I simply cut and pasted the text from the berlin umwelt plakette website so I assume that the germans know what they are talking about. Not my words - theirs. The main point is that a foreign car over 30 years old at first registration is probably going to get a green 4 sticker regardless.

@ NewMB

I simply cut and pasted the text from the berlin umwelt plakette website so I assume that the germans know what they are talking about. Not my words - theirs. The main point is that a foreign car over 30 years old at first registration is probably going to get a green 4 sticker regardless.

I live and work in Germany and a friend owns a classic car company (in Berlin as it happens) and historic/classic cars over 30 years do not get a sticker/umweltplatte.

Sell lhd car, left hand drive leeds

You have got lhd centre leeds just around the corner mate.
Sold Spanish Citroen C2 there. www.lefthanddriveleeds.co.uk have a look in there its so easy to sell left hand drive car. Just email them or give the a ring.

Successfully imported mine

Hey allias!

I successfully imported my 1980 W123 200D from germany to the UK, it was easier and cheaper than you might think. If you - like me - see more than "just a car" in your old merc, its worth doing.

I ll post you some info if you are interested.

Good Luck -

W123 forever!

I'm curious how things went - but it's 11 months ago!

Some Specs to put the slowness into context

W123 200 D

55hp / 60hp from 02/1979
113Nm (83 lbs ft)

Acceleration 0-100 kph (0-62mph)

4-speed Manual 27.4 - 31 secs
5-speed Manual 27.4 secs
4-speed Auto 29.4 - 33.2 secs

Topspeed

4-speed Manual 130 - 135 kph (81 - 84 mph)
5-speed Manual 135 kph (84 mph)
4-speed Auto 125 - 130 kph
(78 - 81 mph)

Mercefreaken - for Mercedes-Benz entusiaster - A great resource for old Merc Specs

I havent done anything about that as my better half didnt want to hear about this as well car was totaled in accident a few months back. :(

Hey allias!

I successfully imported my 1980 W123 200D from germany to the UK, it was easier and cheaper than you might think. If you - like me - see more than "just a car" in your old merc, its worth doing.

I ll post you some info if you are interested.

Good Luck -

W123 forever!

Imported a 250D in `97, but I`m interested to hear uptodate info,

Toying with the idea of bringing back a W124(sorry) 200D.

Please post, if you can. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom