How much would a car cost buying all the parts individually?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Yes, I'm in relaxing festive mode - my mind wondering into absolute trivia. I wondered how much it would cost if you bought all the parts to a car 'off the shelf' at full retail price v cost of a car from the factory?

Yes, I'm in relaxing festive mode - my mind wondering into absolute trivia. I wondered how much it would cost if you bought all the parts to a car 'off the shelf' at full retail price v cost of a car from the factory?

someone did a study once back in the 80s with a ford and it was estimated 10x as much + labour to put it together

Last edited:
I imagine it would be much more than buying one at retail price. Some part prices are way too expensive!

If you mean from the dealer then you'd be screwed as the after market parts have much inflation in the retail price.

If you meant from the suppliers themselves like the manufacturers do then it would be buttons, but this neglects development, tooling, delivery and all the other associated costs.

I remember a mate of mine was on the Fiat parts desk years ago. The main parts for an £7k Punto came to £28k which didnt include all the fiddly stuff like trim clips, cable ties etc.

It is common for brand new motorbikes to be bought and stripped down for parts because of the expense of the individual parts.

It is common for brand new motorbikes to be bought and stripped down for parts because of the expense of the individual parts.
When i crashed my blade 2 years ago i bought a full body kit , head lights and dash bracket from a breaker in the uk and the parts where all from a new 0 miles bike .

On a MUCH smaller scale I once put together two new 2-stroke engines for my r/c planes entirely from spare parts. IIRC the cost was 2-3 times what the entire engine retailed for, but there were no new ones available at the time.

someone did a study once back in the 80s with a ford and it was estimated 10x as much + labour to put it together

Not quite that much. When i was at college we were shown this study and a new fiesta cost £7k and the cost of building it in parts was around £53k.

A motorcycle magazine did this excercise many years ago. Average £8,000 sports bike would cost £150,000 in parts alone.

While picking up my £120 plastic wheel arch trims from VW I noticed part number 001 for the Mk2 Golf on their parts system was a Body In White - was tempted to ask what list price was..

I had never thought of buying a brand new machine and stripping it for parts. I guess it only works for brands that really mark their parts prices up and then only on machines where a large % of the parts is likely to be required. I guess this is ideal for motor bikes especially as they are small to start with.

OK, I have a 350 coupe sport with 109miles on it, right to start with who want the rims and who want the side mirrors !!

When i crashed my blade 2 years ago i bought a full body kit , head lights and dash bracket from a breaker in the uk and the parts where all from a new 0 miles bike .

Just think about this; you have people making parts which go into larger parts which someone then assembles into a bike, having sunk money into R&D, promotion etc who then sells this for a profit to someone who disassembles it and sells the parts to make a profit on this. No doubt some of the parts were originally shipped from at least 3 continents to Japan and the bike has then been shipped to Europe.

You could end up buying a Lucas part that's been round the world twice after being made by your next-door neighbour.

I love capitalism.

While picking up my £120 plastic wheel arch trims from VW I noticed part number 001 for the Mk2 Golf on their parts system was a Body In White - was tempted to ask what list price was..
A brand new W202 saloon shell was about £5k when I enquired back in 2003.

In broad numbers taking the front metal bumper for example:

materials = £2
labour = £2
tooling = £4
total cost to Tier 1 = £8

cost to OEM = £10

cost to customer through parts department = £50-100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom