How not to drive an R8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a button on the dash of every sports car that reads:

"Please please if you are a dimwit that somehow managed to get in the driver seat then press me, instant gratification guaranteed (for any spectators out there)"

It also known as Traction Control, ESP, and many other names.

^ I often wonder if,- in that brief moment when it's all going wrong, if any of them attempt to turn it back on. :D :rolleyes:

A mister in a RWD would have kicked the back end out as he exited the roundabout and lit up a cigar using his spare hand.

Quattro sissies.

A mister in a RWD would have kicked the back end out as he exited the roundabout and lit up a cigar using his spare hand.

Quattro sissies.

I stopped smoking mate, lol!

Is there likely to be any quibble with the insurance paying out given the footage - or would it still be considered an "accident"?

I would have thought, given the occasion, that if the insurers were aware of the footage they would at least raise the matter of contributory negligence, if not invoke the clause (if there is one - all my insurance schedules have it) - that specifically states, or has words to the effect that, the insured vehicle is not covered for any sort of competition.

It`s d1cks like this who spoil usually well behaved events. Chester Cars & Coffee can`t be held at the old courts any longer after some irresponsible driving last year. It`s now been moved further out of Chester to a quieter, but much smaller spot!

classic case of showing off and being a knob and yes his insurer will want to see police report of road conditions etc and will likely not reinsure him leaving him to trudge around the brokers with his i was only doing 30mph when it happened must have been oil on the road blah blah...

To me, it looks like as he comes off the roundabout, he steers left to get round the exit and accelerates - probably to show off.

The weight transfer then shifts to the right and the rears either already have broken traction or break traction then (either due to too much acceleration for them to handle and / or debris on the track such as oil or gravel).

He's tried to correct it but it fish tails and he ends up on the grass where there is even less traction.

Then there is too much momentum and it carries on fishtailing until it hits something - in this case the lamp post.

It's a case of not understanding how a car handles mixed with showing off to the spectators combined with a skill cheque bring written out which his ability could not cash!

Clear from the skid marks that he lost traction on the offside in the gravel whilst accelerating. I watched him do it and it was obvious he had lost it as soon as he came off the r-about. We'll see if he turns up at the Phantom Winger meeting this Sunday in something else.

If you can afford an R8 why the **** can you not pay for time on a track to drive like that.

Complete ****ers.

Clear from the skid marks that he lost traction on the offside in the gravel whilst accelerating. I watched him do it and it was obvious he had lost it as soon as he came off the r-about. We'll see if he turns up at the Phantom Winger meeting this Sunday in something else.

Maybe watch from a safe distance behind the crash barriers.

Maybe watch from a safe distance behind the crash barriers.

Or do as I'm doing and visit another county where, hopefully, it should be a bit safer. :D

I'll be at Cars On The Green in Bury St Edmunds with a few mates. At least it's a static event so no chance for the "Look at this" mentality.

To me, it looks like as he comes off the roundabout, he steers left to get round the exit and accelerates - probably to show off.

The weight transfer then shifts to the right and the rears either already have broken traction or break traction then (either due to too much acceleration for them to handle and / or debris on the track such as oil or gravel).

He's tried to correct it but it fish tails and he ends up on the grass where there is even less traction.

Then there is too much momentum and it carries on fishtailing until it hits something - in this case the lamp post.

It's a case of not understanding how a car handles mixed with showing off to the spectators combined with a skill cheque bring written out which his ability could not cash!

Seems to happen a lot with Corvettes, but why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFD0rASnIN8

Seems to happen a lot with Corvettes, but why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFD0rASnIN8

Seems to me they all have something in common with the R8 driver.

A desire to be watched.
An inability to drive.
A complete and absolute lack of any kind of understanding as to how cars stick to the road (most of the time) and what to do, when you are attempting to get to get them to, not stick to road.

It's like kids who stick lego bricks in their ears and go on to stick hamsters up their bottoms. They just don't see the need to do any thinking about what happens when you want to retrieve your bricks and hamster. Worse is to come when we realise that these people will blame the blame the lego or the hamster. As we see with the R8 driver. He is firmly of the opinion that the car was to blame for his visit to the undergrowth.

Do you think they have turned off the traction control?

Do you think they have turned off the traction control?

I would be surprised to learn that they know what 'Traction Control' is or where the button is located. Drunk on the excitement of large crowds and their new toy, showing off just takes over. They are flying to the scene of the accident before they leave home.

I did own a 355 f1 and with TC off it was staggeringly unstable and I do mean unstable. It would treat discarded fag butts like mountain ranges, throwing the steering all over the shop. I was told when I bought it (from Ferrari) DO NOT TOUCH THIS BUTTON UNLESS THE LIGHT IS ON!! THEN TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY.

I think I made it about 200 yards down the road before I touched the button before immediately realising why they told me not to touch the button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom