How not to drive an R8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldguy57

MB Enthusiast
Car
Now various and sundry
Phantom Winger meeting 21st May- have a peek at the You Tube videos of the ****head destroying his Audi . Gives car meetings a bad name. No doubt the bizzies will be all over the next one.

Phantom Winger meeting 21st May- have a peek at the You Tube videos of the ****head destroying his Audi . Gives car meetings a bad name. No doubt the bizzies will be all over the next one.

There is a full video somewhere about but mostly irrelevant to this incident and more about the meet itself. For those who are Google challenged (I class myself as one of these), an abbreviated video is here: -

[YOUTUBE HD]iEXGm5jKCyE[/YOUTUBE HD]

Makes a change from Mercedes getting the bad publicity I suppose...

Glad I left early Peter, missed all this action. :D:D

What a t*t. Six Mustangs they all managed to see the day through without running anyone over or even kerb an alloy, and this idiot crashes his R8 :D

Certainly are some idiots about.

I use that roundabout every month when I go to these meets. I've never thought about going round it more than once though, for some strange reason I usually just come off at the exit which I want and then head home. :dk:

As stated though, there will probably be a mass Police presence at the next few, which will put the regular well behaved people off. :(

Whoa. Serious observation: I wonder whethe the driver was dizzy from the roundabout, and overreacted on his steering inputs as a result?

Whoa. Serious observation: I wonder whethe the driver was dizzy from the roundabout, and overreacted on his steering inputs as a result?

To me, it looks very much like a case of showing off to the various onlookers, breaking traction with the wheels and losing control.

Probably believed the misconception that 4WD forgives crap driving but learning it doesn't make a lot more difference than 2WD when you exceed the limitations of physics.

What a waste of R8.

Cockpit thrombosis - a clot between the driver's seat and the steering wheel.

Ouch, I wonder how much his insurance has gone up after that one.

There is a full video somewhere about but mostly irrelevant to this incident and more about the meet itself. For those who are Google challenged (I class myself as one of these), an abbreviated video is here: -

[YOUTUBE HD]iEXGm5jKCyE[/YOUTUBE HD]

Makes a change from Mercedes getting the bad publicity I suppose...

Glad I left early Peter, missed all this action. :D:D

Good job you did Dave. On one of the vids you can see my car entering the r-about a second or two before the crash. Judging by the tyre marks the t****r lost traction on the offside in the built up gravel on the centre of the exit road. Classic example of not letting his ability interfere with his ambition. So many people stand on the exit roads filming as well. Hope he gets banned from the meeting.

In one of the vids, the 'driver' (I use the word loosely) appears to be blaming the car. That suggests that he has no comprehension of his own lack of ability.

Lucky thing is, that he did not collect any bystanders.

The chap here in Kent (currently being prosecuted in court) manged to run over and injure 19 people with his Mini.

Those young rich kid hooligans again...

Oh, hang on :D

In one of the vids, the 'driver' (I use the word loosely) appears to be blaming the car. That suggests that he has no comprehension of his own lack of ability.
I've seen it a couple of times where the driver isn't expecting the traction control to "help" them and as a result they've narrowly avoided an accident. - It's normally when accelerating hard such that you get oversteer; the driver steers in to it to correct the slide, but the traction control applies the brakes on the other side to straighten the car.

Is that what the driver was claiming, because it's plausible if so... but they should have turned the traction control off if they wanted to do a theatrical power slide down the side road.

I've seen it a couple of times where the driver isn't expecting the traction control to "help" them and as a result they've narrowly avoided an accident. - It's normally when accelerating hard such that you get oversteer; the driver steers in to it to correct the slide, but the traction control applies the brakes on the other side to straighten the car.

Is that what the driver was claiming, because it's plausible if so... but they should have turned the traction control off if they wanted to do a theatrical power slide down the side road.

I was simply referring to where he gets out the car ad starts hitting the rear bumper with his fist ;^)

This looks to be a total lack of driving knowledge or skill usually possessed by enthusiasts who buy fast cars for the street cred rather than the driving thrill. The latter of the two camps usually learn the limits of the car and read the road before doing anything risky. A little awareness in this situation would have told you that:

1. Flooring it with the wheel off-centre/on a bend is likely to cause a RWD/RWD bias 4WD car to oversteer.

2. Debris or gravel on the road tends to lay close the the curb or road centre and can cause you to lose traction, over-steer or under-steer.

In terms of correcting the issue once it got loose, I do feel for him because there was nothing that could have been done in the small space that he had. As soon as the car began to over-steer left it was already up on the curb...

...and don't you know it, there's always a lamp post or a tree in the way to really F your day up.

Live and learn, but this lesson is an expensive one for his insurer. The car is, I'd say being a 2009 car, anywhere from £50,000 upwards but I'd take a guess at this being written off.

Is there likely to be any quibble with the insurance paying out given the footage - or would it still be considered an "accident"?

Is there likely to be any quibble with the insurance paying out given the footage - or would it still be considered an "accident"?

Whatever the case I smell money when stuff like this comes in on the hook!
Helps pay for expensive college tuition for my off spring--Long may it continue!
Its called PEBSS!
Problem exists between steering wheel and seat--!!
Tuercas Viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom