how NOT to drive through a flood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brilliant - and all the more so of course because it was who it was. You shouldn't laugh :D :D :D

the commentary of the camera man is brilliant :)

as you say, it wasn't even very deep - if they'd gone through slowly it would have been easy

Andy

Mistake by the driver in going through so quickly.

Commendable that so many of them jumped into cold, knee deep water to help push it out with no hesitation.

I hope the people they were on their way to help suffered no ill effects.

Idiotic driving - he went in so fast the water came up over the roof!

I reckon there's every chance he wrecked the engine.

Commendable that so many of them jumped into cold, knee deep water to help push it out with no hesitation.
Me thinks they were trying to get away from the scene as quickly as possible.

What's the bets they push it around the corner, then radio to their base and say the van has broke down?

What a classic, one of the funniest clips I've seen and hopefully it will get onto the TV shows. :D

John

I'll be accused of being an old grump here, and no doubt I feel this because of, in part, my profession, but...

I don't really see anything particularly ribtickling here, and every time I hear the moronic commentary on the video it makes my spine curl.

The fact that all blues and twos were going tends to suggest that the van was en-route to something urgent, and the fact they didn't turn around to take another route backs this up.

Notice how almost all of the officers on board immediately jumped out and pushed? Believe me, wouldn't happen unless someone was in need of assistance.

Yes, rather silly driving into a flood at speed but I imagine they were keen to get to the call. Funny? Nah.

To clarify, I WOULD be laughing my ass off if it was a police van bimbling along on routine patrol who decided to try their luck for a laugh (I have been there...) But not on an emergency response run. And not with a group of morons standing around doing nothing to help.

I'll be accused of being an old grump here, and no doubt I feel this because of, in part, my profession, but....
Surely it is the duty of an emergency unit to actual get to the emergency? The driver of that vehicle behaved in a stupid manner that was only going to have one ending. By driving so fast through that flood this person not only let themselves down, they also let therir crewmates down AND most IMPORTANT, they let down the people that requested their attendance. I hate arm chair critics, or the hind sight brigade, but the driver of that vehicle should be held to account over their hot headed driving. If you study that video then the water can clearly be seen going up onto the roof? It could EASILY have aquaplaned into the person that was taking pictures just in front of it.

I will back anyone to the hilt when they make a genuine mistake, but that was an incident caused by one person's lack of driving skills, and I bet they were the butt of some very wry comments as a direct result of what they did.

John

Fair comment John. I don't know how I would have gone through the water. Probably full pelt too.

I just think that even if said driver had negotiated it sensibly and got stuck then the film crew would have been just as moronic!

What the driver should have done was stopped and unclipped the air filter housing, then proceded with caution. The 30 seconds lost would be nothing compared to the problem of a broken down van.

It was just suicidal to attempt to drive that quickly through that depth of water. It was guarenteed to suck it up in to the engine, as was shown.

Last edited:
I think you are over reacting a bit here Carrotchomper.

The water isn't that deep - just over half way up the wheels and certainly well away from any critical engine or electrical components.

Emergency or not it is a Police drivers (well any driver really) responsibility to drive according to the conditions, going through slowly would have meant arriving at the destination a lot quicker. By driving like a t**t the driver has let himself down as well as the people who were waiting for him and all his colleagues who got their feet wet.

The commentary was funny and I expect anyone who was standing there would have reacted in the same way.

Now a question for you.....

If you were following a member of the public who went through a flood like that would you give them a telling off?

Andy

The water isn't that deep - just over half way up the wheels and certainly well away from any critical engine or electrical components.

The engine air intake is low down behind the bumper area, which is why it's best to unclip the air filter housing.

That engine will be wrecked as hydraulic locking a revving diesel engine is always bad news.
Expect the turbo and all conrods to be toast as a minimum.

The driver deserves a stiff telling off for both wrecking the van and failing to respond to the emergency as a result

Last edited:
why do car/van manufacturers put air intakes so low down? I used to have a Citroen CX25 and everytime you drove through a deep puddle it would slurp up a gallon of water and the engine would stop :(

Andy

why do car/van manufacturers put air intakes so low down? I used to have a Citroen CX25 and everytime you drove through a deep puddle it would slurp up a gallon of water and the engine would stop :(

Andy

Because the incoming air is cooler as it's low down in the engine bay.

I meant drove through a flood in that irresponsible manner

I once got told off by a traffic cop for driving through this ford too fast........

OK. I'll admit I was driving a bit quick (but below the national speed limit) and I made a splash about the same as that van, the difference was I was in a Land Rover built for the job and I didn't stall the car.

He spent a good ten minutes reading me the riot act before letting me get on with my journey

I once got told off by a traffic cop for driving through this ford too fast........

He spent a good ten minutes reading me the riot act before letting me get on with my journey

Unless there was a coach party of pensioners on the bridge then fair play to you, and the traffic cop was probably something of a tw@t. Plenty of those in any profession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom