How not to sell a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't see a problem to be honest.:dk: Seems a straight forward ad to me , reasonably written ,not chavish like some on ebay. Obviously the seller doesnt want his time wasted unduly.

Well tbh if i was looking for a weekend plaything then the wording of that ad says to me "don't bother me". I think the op has a point. Most cars i have bought that are not new have been (relatively) bought on a whim as i quite like the look of the car. That ad would almost certainly prevent me from contacting them. Is it not a bit like buying a house? If you hit 8 out of 10 boxes then you will probably have it. An advert that says don't call us unless you are sure you want to buy it is already 1 out of 10 down before you even consider the car - spec, colour etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using MBClub UK

I don't understand what they mean by saying that the vehicle "retains a patina" rather than being tarted up. Do they mean it's rusty or what? Never heard that in the context of car bodywork before.

I've sold several of my cars on eBay and have had to put up with time wasters, stupid offers and even a £15k cheque sent to me by a genuine Nigerian buyer!!!! But I've always resisted putting a 'grumpy' or 'offish' note at the bottom of my advert blurb because I believe that it could put off otherwise interested buyers.

I'd love to write a personal message at the bottom of each of my adverts to all those ebayers who think you'll end the auction early and accept a lower price than you'd get if you waited for the auction to end. Some are even shocked when you tell them to stick it (politely of course). However I choose to use eBay and will therefore have to put up with all the eBay numptys!!!

Dont see whats wrong with the advert , patina means its original not sprayed up touched up etc its all said in advert brieff and to the point .
cf

a FMBSH (with the exception of its last done by an independent)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]Not FMBSH then is it ??

:D[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Read the description in this ebay advert :D

VAUXHALL CORSA GSI v6 24v c20let drag car track car | eBay

I think the phrase is "They walk amongst us"

Surely, even if you didn't turn up for your GCSE English you'd still know how to use a full stop!

Just cut and paste his description into a word processing program and you'll see more red lines than the complete 'Fast 'n Furious' box set.

But when all is said and done it makes Ebay such as great place to look for cars!!!!

I’m with Bluebell.

That advert is cocky, arrogant, and uninviting.

Trying to attract Nationwide bids needs large images, (plenty of them), a welcoming tone, and a full warts’n’all description.

Front, boot, both sides, drivers seat and engine bay still leaves a further half a dozen (underside, arches, etc) to be uploaded for peanuts on the eBay standard package, they even tell you if you have room to upload larger images to do justice to then job in hand. Equal attention should be given to the negative aspects, and a few snaps of the worst points with an offer to forward specific shots of good and/or bad provides reassurance – and let’s be right, it ain’t difficult. And why wouldn’t you, unless you just couldn’t be ****d and expect business to come to you. Must be nice if the world owes you a living!

Why would anyone ring on that advert to discuss another subject??!! Staggering comment to make.

Not withstanding probably means in this context that something isn’t perfect - and you wouldn’t expect it to be - but it would be nice to see what it was to remove any ambiguity.

“Reserve the right remove ourselves from conversation” – that speaks volumes.

Non-buyers come with selling, they should accept that as part of the job.

I wish them all they deserve.

Cheers,

Paul

( I’m behind the settee on the Vauxhall advert).

Why would anyone ring on that advert to discuss another subject??!! Staggering comment to make.

I agree.

However, I'm guessing that the reason for the final tone of the advert is because they get a handful of people who call up to discuss the model and their love of Mercedes rather than to buy the car they are selling.

Well...tough, if you wanna sell cars for profit then you'll have to put up with a few muppets along the way!!!

I know what the advertiser means, although I'd not put it in an advert.

Selling my R129 SL on Ebay a local "official" club member turned up to view, test etc in extreme detail, was there for 2+ hours. He then professed the mileage to be too high and left!!

On selling a W126 a few years later the same idiot turned up and tryed to spend the afternoon looking at it, I was rather blunt and he left after about 5 minutes.

It is amazing how many retired Mercedes fans have nothing better to do than waste others time.

Never mind retired Mercedes fans time wasters, it always staggers me how many people out there that have quite clearly got far too much time on their hands and they want to waste yours as well.

When I was selling my S211 last November, someone local came to have a look at the car. I spent about three hours getting it all spic and span for him and after five minutes of looking around the car I asked him if he was wanting a test drive. His reply?

"I've only come to see what these E-Classes are like because the main dealer didn't have one in for me to view" :mad: :wallbash: :mad: :wallbash:

You can imagine my reaction to that statement...

"I've only come to see what these E-Classes are like because the main dealer didn't have one in for me to view" :mad: :wallbash: :mad: :wallbash:

You can imagine my reaction to that statement...

Presumably it was;
So they don't have one for you to buy either...buy this one.

Presumably it was;
So they don't have one for you to buy either...buy this one.

He was quite blasé about what he'd done, even though I told him about me preparing the car for him coming, all he did was shrug his shoulders and say he's after a low mileage car (mine had 133k)

I advised him to get back in his mid-life crisis car and go home and comb his wigs.

he says. "its got a light and balanced fly wheel on engine so it rev s to about 13000 revs"
I think he has smoked one to many Jamaican woodbines:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom