How often are you changing oil and filter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree it’s probably not necessary to change my filter twice a year, but I’m intrigued as to why a new filter would be inferior? I don’t doubt you, but struggle to see why this would be the case?

It's generally accepted that as a filter gets dirty it gets more efficient at filtering out particles. Obviously it will eventually get clogged and flow will be reduced to the point that the bypass opens. But filters are designed to last 15000+ miles so there is no reason to get anywhere near that stage. If oil is changed every 6 months at say 3000 miles then the filter is a long way from reaching the end of it's life even if it's left in and used for 6000 miles. If that 3000 mile filter is working better than a new one why would you change it ?

One down side is the old filter contains a small amount of oil that will not be replaced with new but there is always some old oil retained in an engine whatever you do.

Now if you want to get into an an argument that's even more esoteric there have been studies done that suggest new oil is initially not as good as old oil in terms of preventing wear. This is based on the premise that new oil removes the sacrificial layer on metal surfaces built up by anti-wear additives like ZDDP and it takes some time for the new oil to replace this layer. It's not a big deal but does serve to illustrate that changing oil too often might not be as beneficial as it seems .

I tend to take a middle of the road approach and consider that the oil change intervals dictated by car manufacturers are not arrived at solely in the best interests of engine wear. There is a commercial aspect to making cars look cheaper to maintain which is why MB at one time allowed 2 year service intervals. If I was doing 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year then I would definitely do as you do and change it more often but If I was doing less than 10,000 miles per year I wouldn't see any benefit in doing an intermediate oil change. The caveat is that the miles are not all short trips where the oil never gets up to temperature in which case the oil should be changed more often.

Whenever the car says service due…
This.

My car is on pcp. It'll be going back or being sold in about 12 months time. Makes no odds to me so long as it gets to there without an engine management light coming on, and the service book is signed off.

If you're keeping the car long-term I can understand, but anyone leasing or PCP with the intention of handing back/selling then I'd be surprised if you're doing more than the minimum required.

It's generally accepted that as a filter gets dirty it gets more efficient at filtering out particles. Obviously it will eventually get clogged and flow will be reduced to the point that the bypass opens. But filters are designed to last 15000+ miles so there is no reason to get anywhere near that stage. If oil is changed every 6 months at say 3000 miles then the filter is a long way from reaching the end of it's life even if it's left in and used for 6000 miles. If that 3000 mile filter is working better than a new one why would you change it ?
To reduce to zero the possibility of the trapped carbon particles being dissolved by the detergent in the new oil into particles small enough to pass through the filter and thus re-enter the crankcase?

I read that carbon is a lubricant ?

In some circumstances carbon is used as a lubricant.
Graphite grease has many uses ... and graphite is carbon.

However, carbon is certainly not the type of lubricant that is appropriate for the various types of bearings, etc., that you find in a highly-specified engine or transmission.

I always change the oil and the filter at the same time.
Same goes for an automatic transmission - Change the ATF and fluid at the same time for best reliability.

Just noticed I’m approaching my stated mileage of 6000 on the E class , maybe next warm sunny day I’ll get the Pela out

I change the oil and filter once a year using oil that conforms to MB spec and a MB filter. I do between four and five thousand miles a year. I don't do short journeys with the car as I have another vehicle as a run-around. Every spec sheet I've read for different cars say so many miles a year or 12 months.
I know oil is getting quite expensive these days but if your prepared to shop around you can get some good deals. So it's a case of 40 Quid for oil or in my case £4.000 for a second hand engine.
The term No Brainer springs to mind. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom